New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Feb 11, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #136 of 1,956
Just connected them directly to my iPad (the jack is a bit wide and won't with with my iPhone case on). At 3/4 volume it was already louder than I'd want to listen, so I don't think the iPad would have problems driving them. I don't think an amp is strictly necessary with the T5p, but that depends on your phone of course.

They work very well out of my AK320 btw.

Thanks....good to know. I'm also curious about the sound quality using them with an external DAC (like the HA-2's) as opposed to just directly connecting to a mobile device.

Feb 11, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #137 of 1,956
Thanks....good to know. I'm also curious about the sound quality using them with an external DAC (like the HA-2's) as opposed to just directly connecting to a mobile device.

It scales quite well... not that it sounds bad directly out of a phone (or iPad), but its capable of more and shows its capabilities when driven by a resolving DAC/amp. I enjoy them very much with my Benchmark DAC2 and the already mentioned AK320. I don't know the HA-2 but I think it uses ESS 9018M DACs, so if its implementation is well done it might be worth it.

Feb 11, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #138 of 1,956
It scales quite well... not that it sounds bad directly out of a phone (or iPad), but its capable of more and shows its capabilities when driven by a resolving DAC/amp. I enjoy them very much with my Benchmark DAC2 and the already mentioned AK320. I don't know the HA-2 but I think it uses ESS 9018M DACs, so if its implementation is well done it might be worth it.

Thanks for the info. I might try the T5p's by themselves first and then invest in the DAC/amp later. And yes, that is the correct DAC for the HA-2's. I've heard good things about the HA-2. I previously thought about getting one to pair with my PM-3's.

Feb 11, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #139 of 1,956

Thanks for the info. I might try the T5p's by themselves first and then invest in the DAC/amp later. And yes, that is the correct DAC for the HA-2's. I've heard good things about the HA-2. I previously thought about getting one to pair with my PM-3's.

HA-2 pair up is great, but HA-2 is a little under powered.  I had to switch to high gain in order to drive T5p.2 with more authority.

Feb 11, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #140 of 1,956
I looked everywhere and ended up calling hifiguy at woo audio. That was pretty awesome chatting with such a cool dude and especially someone with the celebrity status he has. I'm pretty confident in my purchase right now. Hopefully the shipment gets in earlier in the week and I get to sit down and get to know these beautiful headphones. I'm pretty pumped! Thanks again Hifiguy!

It was a pleasure speaking with you as well. Please do update us here on your listening impressions and pics. 
beerchug.gif

T 5 p 2nd gen sounds great right out of the box. Will improve with time.  Mine has about 100 hrs. now. Awesome headphones and a steal at $1099 retail. You'll have to spend double to beat it marginally.

Feb 11, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #141 of 1,956

I looked everywhere and ended up calling hifiguy at woo audio. That was pretty awesome chatting with such a cool dude and especially someone with the celebrity status he has. I'm pretty confident in my purchase right now. Hopefully the shipment gets in earlier in the week and I get to sit down and get to know these beautiful headphones. I'm pretty pumped! Thanks again Hifiguy!

It was a pleasure speaking with you as well. Please do update us here on your listening impressions and pics. 
beerchug.gif

T 5 p 2nd gen sounds great right out of the box. Will improve with time.  Mine has about 100 hrs. now. Awesome headphones and a steal at $1099 retail. You'll have to spend double to beat it marginally.

Mike, can you please settle once and for all regarding what material is being used in T5p.2 earpads and headband?  I got straight from Pete Carini it's 100% real leather, others got from German product manager it's a pleather.  What is it really?

Feb 11, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #142 of 1,956
HA-2 pair up is great, but HA-2 is a little under powered.  I had to switch to high gain in order to drive T5p.2 with more authority.

I think they intend you to use the High Gain setting with these types of headphones while the Low Gain mode is more intended for IEM's. From the website:

"Two Gain Settings
The HA-2 offers two gain level settings for optimal headphone matching. The High Gain mode is capable of driving large power-hungry headphones, delivering up to 300 mW into 16-Ohm headphones. The Low Gain mode is intended for sensitive In-Ear Monitor type earphones."

So the High Gain mode sufficiently drove them? Or was it still a bit a bit under powered?

Feb 11, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #143 of 1,956
Well finally sitting down to listen to the review pair of T5p Gen 2. They came from Beyerdynamics USA with a quick detour to Edmonton, Alberta (I'm in Toronto)....thanks Canada Post! 
confused.gif

Initially their striking resemblance to the T1 Gen.2 sonically hit me. And for a closed headphone to have this level of openness and transparency certainly bodes well so far!

Feb 11, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #144 of 1,956

Mike, can you please settle once and for all regarding what material is being used in T5p.2 earpads and headband?  I got straight from Pete Carini it's 100% real leather, others got from German product manager it's a pleather.  What is it really?

Gen 1 is genuine leather, Gen 2 is pleather.

Feb 11, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #145 of 1,956
Well I went to a speaker shop today to listen to some amps hoping to bring something home for the t5p. I ended up leaving with the plan of going home to cancel the t5p order but I got home and saw a shipping confirmation! Oh well I'm kind of glad. Going to be a big $150 hit to the wallet if they're not my cup of tea. What has me worried is that I was using some beyerdynamics to audition the amps, the t70 and dt880 300 ohm. I got them sounding good for what they are but it just wasn't a lot of sound. I got worried the t5p was going to leave the same impression being that it's a dynamic driver too but maybe just be a little more refined sounding with better extension. crossing my fingers it brings more than that to the table.
Anyways, I figured the t70 would be better being that it was a more expensive headphone but I felt the 880 had more going for it. I wasn't liking them much till I heard them through a burson soloist and that opened them up a bit. It had a reference class solid state sound. Then the last amp I heard I asked "is this tube staged?" Because the sound stage really opened up more so than the burson and there were a lot of details while being slightly laid back. He said it wasn't, then a few minutes later when I asked the price of the rather big silver box he came back and said "sorry, I was wrong, the music hall ph25.2 is actually tube staged and the price is only $399! I was pretty happy with the sound for only $400.
Then I sat down with some planers and was worried that for for $400 it wouldnt drive them. Well it def had the volume and flow it had with the beyers. the first planar I tried with it was the he560 and I was immediately relieved to hear the upper midrange wasn't hurting my ears the way it usually does on this phone. I was actually enjoying it. Then I tried an lcd3 pre fazor and was surprised how much more comfortable it was on my head compared to the new versions with the fazor. I know what this headphone can do as I had heard it a few years ago with a cavalli liquid gold and it blew my mind. The little music hall didn't controll it quite as well but surprisingly it kept good body and fluidity throughout. It was missing some of the inner detail finess I know the headphone can produce but again couldn't believe the amp was doing that well for the price.
Sorry if my rambling is out of place. Just seemed like the appropriate place being that I was looking for an amp for the t5p. Shipment tracking says it should be here Monday so I'll be sure to leave some impressions and after a few days of burn in ill take them up to buffalo to pair them up with some other amps.

Feb 12, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #146 of 1,956
Is anyone pairing the T5p with a A2? I'm trying to decide whether I should just leave it on 100 ohm output.

Feb 12, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #147 of 1,956
  Well finally sitting down to listen to the review pair of T5p Gen 2. They came from Beyerdynamics USA with a quick detour to Edmonton, Alberta (I'm in Toronto)....thanks Canada Post! 
confused.gif

Initially their striking resemblance to the T1 Gen.2 sonically hit me. And for a closed headphone to have this level of openness and transparency certainly bodes well so far!

Would you say they are brighter than the T1 gen 2? I heard them briefly and was looking for treble between the original T1 and Gen 2 if that makes sense. T1 was just a tad bright for my ears/taste, still may fit more than Gen2 for me.

Feb 12, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #148 of 1,956

@DoctaCosmos Be sure to give them proper break-in and ear time (50-100 hrs.) If you're looking for solid state amp, consider Lehmann Audio Linear.

Quote:

Gen 1 is genuine leather, Gen 2 is pleather.

Official confirmation from beyerdynamic: "The material we are using for the ear pads is a protein-coated synthetic leather. It looks like genuine leather but in fact it is not. The advantage of synthetic leather material is that it doesn´t absorb sweat and is easy to clean with a moist cloth.​"

To me, comfort is extremely high. I've been using mine for 5-7 hrs. straight.

Feb 12, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #149 of 1,956
Is anyone pairing the T5p with a A2? I'm trying to decide whether I should just leave it on 100 ohm output.

I tried that, I also used them with an A20. 100ohm output impedance seems to give them some additional heft in the bass but seemingly without any ill effects. So I'd say it's up to your taste.

I think this is simply a miscommunication between Beyerdynamic Germany and US. The person I got my information from was directly involved in the conception of the T5p, not in marketing, on the way to which information might get lost. But I actually see it as a positive thing that you're so convinced it's real leather: that really speaks for the quality of the material, doesn't it?
It's the same material as the headband of the T1.2 btw. And far away from the pleather of say the DT770/32Ohm.

Would you say they are brighter than the T1 gen 2? I heard them briefly and was looking for treble between the original T1 and Gen 2 if that makes sense. T1 was just a tad bright for my ears/taste, still may fit more than Gen2 for me.

To me that's exactly what the T5p2 is: a bit brighter than the T1.2, a bit less bright than the original T1 and even less bright when compared to the original T5p.

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #150 of 1,956
I tried that, I also used them with an A20. 100ohm output impedance seems to give them some additional heft in the bass but seemingly without any ill effects. So I'd say it's up to your taste.
I think this is simply a miscommunication between Beyerdynamic Germany and US. The person I got my information from was directly involved in the conception of the T5p, not in marketing, on the way to which information might get lost. But I actually see it as a positive thing that you're so convinced it's real leather: that really speaks for the quality of the material, doesn't it?
It's the same material as the headband of the T1.2 btw. And far away from the pleather of say the DT770/32Ohm.
To me that's exactly what the T5p2 is: a bit brighter than the T1.2, a bit less bright than the original T1 and even less bright when compared to the original T5p.

Very encouraging to hear on the treble end....but what about the huge lack of bass in the original t5p.....has this returned to at least AK t5p levels?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back