New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Dec 31, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #16 of 1,956
Just got a chance to listen to a T5P. They had plenty of well-controlled, tight bass. This is even on electronic music that requires such presentation. For high dynamic range acoustic music they sounded precise.

I'd consider myself a bit of a basshead so I just don't know how people hear this as bass light. Perplexing. Maybe it is the way we perceive bass response, as typically it is also felt on the skin membrane. Perhaps some listeners 'hear' the bass whereas others need to 'feel' it more?

Either way, looking forward to more information on the 2nd gen of this headphone.

Dec 31, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #17 of 1,956
  I'd consider myself a bit of a basshead so I just don't know how people hear this as bass light. Perplexing. Maybe it is the way we perceive bass response, as typically it is also felt on the skin membrane. Perhaps some listeners 'hear' the bass whereas others need to 'feel' it more?

I think there's a dip in midbass (i.e. 80-12Hz) while deeper bass is present, i.e. its not the usual roll-off. Electronica reaches deep and may not live that much by the kick-part of bass (OK, thats a broad simplification, I know...), genres that need lots of kick bass may suffer more...

Yes, it'll be interesting to see what they changed in Gen. 2. I once heard the AKT5p and did not see it as having stronger bass. Soundstage was a bit weird on them, I remember them as a bit more closed in and maybe even a tad harsh. But take that with the appropriate amount of salt, I did not spend much time comparing the two and its some time ago already.

Jan 9, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #19 of 1,956
Well, I ordered a pair. Actually, I ordered a pair of T5p gen 1, but the store was apparently out of stock, and hadn't updated their site yet. Got an email about their empty, with the option to change the order into a T5p gen 2 -- For the same price! I paid only 800$ for my pair.

Jan 12, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #20 of 1,956
I auditioned the 2nd generation T5P over the weekend. I was shopping for a travel/office headphone so the primary criteria were: 1) must be a closed headphone 2) must be able to be driven by an iPhone and 3) must be comfortable. I A/B compared a bunch of headphones from Sennheiser, AKG, Audeze, B&O, and Audiotechnica. I was impressed enough with the T5p to order a pair today. It was an easy decision. No other headphone could even approximate the sound quality of the T5P and meet my criteria. The closest competitor was the Audeze EL-8 in terms of sound quality (with a portable [FiiO] amp driving them). The problems with the EL-8 were comfort (they are just too damn heavy and cumbersome for me while traveling) and weak performance when driven by only an iPhone. To my ears, the T5P is exactly what it was designed to be: a superb headphone that can be driven with a mobile device like an iPhone or iPod. And that happens to be what I was looking for.:D

Jan 12, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #21 of 1,956
This is really interesting, How would it compare to their new DT1770? Which is put into the market as a balanced professional studio headphone and received quite well. I've heard the previous T5P lacked bass.. And most find the DT1770 better than the old T5P.

I hope someone can audition both and give us a comparison. That would be awesome since I'm aiming for the DT1770 now. But I could wait and save up some more if it is substantially better..

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #22 of 1,956
Well, I ordered a pair. Actually, I ordered a pair of T5p gen 1, but the store was apparently out of stock, and hadn't updated their site yet. Got an email about their empty, with the option to change the order into a T5p gen 2 -- For the same price! I paid only 800$ for my pair.

Can you share where you got them?  

They appear to be about $300 more than what you paid!  

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #24 of 1,956
This is really interesting, How would it compare to their new DT1770? Which is put into the market as a balanced professional studio headphone and received quite well. I've heard the previous T5P lacked bass.. And most find the DT1770 better than the old T5P.

I hope someone can audition both and give us a comparison. That would be awesome since I'm aiming for the DT1770 now. But I could wait and save up some more if it is substantially better..

I have the 1770 right now, but will be returning them because the right driver is loose.

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #25 of 1,956
I have the 1770 right now, but will be returning them because the right driver is loose.

That's a really sad thing! Just to often I read and hear about that the right drIver is rattling.. seems like quality issues there at beyerdynamic.. although they have been known for their quality for years.. strange production flaws. Maybe it's better to wait for a while until they tackle the first production flaws..

Jan 26, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #26 of 1,956
T5p ordered. If they're fast it'll be with me at the end of the week, but more likely next Monday...
What I heard they should offer even better soundstage (the old one was not bad in that regard) and smoother treble. Lets see...

Jan 26, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #27 of 1,956
Oh Yeah!
This is great news.
I ordered mine on Sunday and it says KW 4/16.
The curiosity was higher than waiting for the High End Fair in Munich....
I´m looking forward in listening to your impressions.
Best

Jan 26, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #28 of 1,956
  T5p ordered. If they're fast it'll be with me at the end of the week, but more likely next Monday...
What I heard they should offer even better soundstage (the old one was not bad in that regard) and smoother treble. Lets see...

Ah now i know how to quote.....

Just now i have read on the T1 2 thread that you like the old ones silghtly better. So this could get interesting here 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #29 of 1,956

Hi Plakat! How Cool is that! :)
Do you still have the 1st gen T5p? It would be great to read your comparison between the old and new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back