New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Feb 16, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #211 of 1,956
They get smoother with burn in. I've got a good understanding of the headphone so far but I want to go match it up with some other amplifiers at the speaker shop this week to see if I can get it to open up a bit. Burning it in has smoothed it out a bit and opened it up. I feel like a pad change could really benefit this headphone. I tried pinching the back of the pads a little to make it a little taller and it allowed for the driver to sit a little further away from the ear and it opened up the mids a bit. I know the driver is already angled a bit but I feel a little more room away from the head would do this headphone some good. Also I would make it a little softer and keep it leather so it got a better seal but retained the bass quantity from keeping it leather. Not that it's bad the way it is but just a simple tweak has opened it up a little more so having been a modder for a while I know what pad differences can make. I think it would be important not to alter the sound signature just open the imaging up a bit.

Feb 17, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #212 of 1,956
Official confirmation from beyerdynamic on the ear pads: "The material we are using for the ear pads is a protein-coated synthetic leather. It looks like genuine leather but in fact it is not. The advantage of synthetic leather material is that it doesn´t absorb sweat and is easy to clean with a moist cloth.​"

Feb 17, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #213 of 1,956
Alright, ladies and gentleman!  This is an official reply from Beyerdynamic (Germany), and now everybody is aligned without any discrepancies about earpad and headband material
wink.gif

The material we are using for the ear pads is a protein-coated synthetic leather.  It looks like genuine leather but in fact it is not.  The advantage of synthetic leather material is that it doesn´t absorb sweat and is easy to clean with a moist cloth. "

In my opinion, the material is perfect!!!

Feb 17, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #214 of 1,956
@HiFiGuy528 : Damn Mike, you beat me to it by a few minutes
tongue.gif
  Sounds like Pete sent email to both of us at the same time
wink.gif

Feb 17, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #215 of 1,956
Heading to the speaker shop today. I'll know whether or not I'm keeping them and will try to leave my thoughts.

Feb 17, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #216 of 1,956

Yes, its surprisingly good. It does not have anything of that cheap feel to it that many (even most) non-leather products exhibit. Reminds me of the material Fostex uses on the TH900.

Feb 17, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #217 of 1,956
  Alright, ladies and gentleman!  This is an official reply from Beyerdynamic (Germany), and now everybody is aligned without any discrepancies about earpad and headband material
wink.gif

The material we are using for the ear pads is a protein-coated synthetic leather.  It looks like genuine leather but in fact it is not.  The advantage of synthetic leather material is that it doesn´t absorb sweat and is easy to clean with a moist cloth. "

Deja vu anyone? 
tongue.gif

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #225 of 1,956
Anyone know where to buy replacement pads for the 2nd gen T5P? I have a 1st gen and I think those new pads will be much better at sealing and bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back