New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Nov 25, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #1,816 of 1,956
Has anyone found a good balanced cable for the T5P Gen 2? I’m looking for one with a 4.4mm Pentacon connector that improves the sound over the stock cable.

Look for a cable with OCC pure copper or or silver, avoid silver-plated copper, its not great for headphones. OCC copper will be you best bang for buck costing around £100-150 for 5ft cable. One other thing to look out for is gauge of the wire, i would recommend a minimum of 22awg per core, any less and it will sound the same as any other cable. Oidio Sound are great guys but the cables are made of OFC copper, and while the cable will be beautifully made you wont hear much of difference over your stock cable, which for the record is one of the best i've heard for a stock cable. Companies to look at are Arctic, Toxic and Norne, they all use neotech UPOCC wire which is the best OCC around. If you're struggling or have any specific questions please feel free to drop me DM :)

Nov 25, 2020 at 3:55 AM Post #1,817 of 1,956
Look for a cable with OCC pure copper or or silver, avoid silver-plated copper, its not great for headphones. OCC copper will be you best bang for buck costing around £100-150 for 5ft cable. One other thing to look out for is gauge of the wire, i would recommend a minimum of 22awg per core, any less and it will sound the same as any other cable. Oidio Sound are great guys but the cables are made of OFC copper, and while the cable will be beautifully made you wont hear much of difference over your stock cable, which for the record is one of the best i've heard for a stock cable. Companies to look at are Arctic, Toxic and Norne, they all use neotech UPOCC wire which is the best OCC around. If you're struggling or have any specific questions please feel free to drop me DM :)

You are absolutely right about the stock cables. Both on my T1.2 and T5p Gen2 the stock cables are OCC 7N copper cables. It's hard to beat them for single-ended use. Beyerdynamic do make a balanced cable made of the same copper for around £100. This cable has a 2.5mm termination whereas I need 4.4mm. I do have an adapter for balanced 2.5mm to 4.4mm so I guess I could use that with the Beyer balanced cable.

Nov 25, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #1,818 of 1,956
You are absolutely right about the stock cables. Both on my T1.2 and T5p Gen2 the stock cables are OCC 7N copper cables. It's hard to beat them for single-ended use. Beyerdynamic do make a balanced cable made of the same copper for around £100. This cable has a 2.5mm termination whereas I need 4.4mm. I do have an adapter for balanced 2.5mm to 4.4mm so I guess I could use that with the Beyer balanced cable.

Yes Beyer are an anomaly compared to other manufacturers, when it comes to cables. My Focal Stellia's come with the audio equivalent to piece of old rope. A short adapter will have very little impact on the overall sound quality so i think you'd be right to stay with the Beyer cable if you are happy with all other aspects :)

Nov 25, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #1,819 of 1,956
Custom Cans https://www.customcans.co.uk made lovely cables for me to use the T5P Mk.2 phones with the Beyerdynamic Impacto DAP, which comes with ridiculously short cables, so that the DAP sits on your chest. Of course having now bought a Chord Hugo 2 DAP, I almost never use the Impacto as the Hugo 2 is a whole different world (and given it is about 20 times the price of the Impacto, you would be very disappointed if it wasn't). I have a spare set of Custom Cans Impacto cables, that I keep meaning to get round to modifying to a pair of standard stereo cables (one 3 pole 3.5mm to two long shank 3.5mm cables) to use with the Hugo 2. Very good service from Custom Cans as well.

Wilson
Yes, customcans in the UK are an A+ company to deal with.

Nov 27, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #1,820 of 1,956
Given that the standard Beyerdynamic 3.5mm to 2 x 3.5 mm are already OCC and have a stand alone cost of £84, unless you need cables with special terminations or a longer cable, I would suggest that buying alternative cables are "for the benefit of any passing bat" (Flanders and Swan - The song of reproduction )

Nov 29, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #1,821 of 1,956
What does OCC 7N copper cables really mean? My Beyerdynamics comes with the stock cables and I use them.

Nov 29, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #1,822 of 1,956
What does OCC 7N copper cables really mean? My Beyerdynamics comes with the stock cables and I use them.

It just means that it's usually not worth buying an aftermarket cable!

It's extremely pure copper resisting oxidation with fewer microscopic 'fractures' along the wire. The OCC casting process also creates less opportunities for contaminants to be introduced into the cable. I believe the 7N means the purity of the cable. The starting point is 99% purity (of the copper). This accounts for 2 of the Ns. Then the remaining 5 Ns reflect the number of 9s after the decimal point as an indicator of purity. So 7N would mean 99.99999% purity, which is about as good as it gets for an audio cable. That's how I understand it, but happy to be corrected.

A couple of years ago I bought an expensive custom-made headphone cable for my Amiron Home headphones. It changed the sound signature to the point of some bass notes in songs becoming almost inaudible. Conversely, I recently purchased an aftermarket cable for my Aventho wired on-ears that made the music more enjoyable compared to the stock cable.

Not all Beyers come with OCC 7N cables. It's quite rare to find a manufacturer supplying such a high quality cable (at the lower to midrange of the market).

Nov 29, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #1,823 of 1,956
It just means that it's usually not worth buying an aftermarket cable!

It's extremely pure copper resisting oxidation with fewer microscopic 'fractures' along the wire. The OCC casting process also creates less opportunities for contaminants to be introduced into the cable. I believe the 7N means the purity of the cable. The starting point is 99% purity (of the copper). This accounts for 2 of the Ns. Then the remaining 5 Ns reflect the number of 9s after the decimal point as an indicator of purity. So 7N would mean 99.99999% purity, which is about as good as it gets for an audio cable. That's how I understand it, but happy to be corrected.

A couple of years ago I bought an expensive custom-made headphone cable for my Amiron Home headphones. It changed the sound signature to the point of some bass notes in songs becoming almost inaudible. Conversely, I recently purchased an aftermarket cable for my Aventho wired on-ears that made the music more enjoyable compared to the stock cable.

Not all Beyers come with OCC 7N cables. It's quite rare to find a manufacturer supplying such a high quality cable (at the lower to midrange of the market).
Nice! I do have the Amiron Home too but the cable is damn too long, not really nice. 1.4m would be nice. But I do have the T5p.2 cable tho.
I was wondering why the stand-alone cables are expensive on Beyers website but that information explains it.

Nov 29, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #1,824 of 1,956
Nice! I do have the Amiron Home too but the cable is damn too long, not really nice. 1.4m would be nice. But I do have the T5p.2 cable tho.
I was wondering why the stand-alone cables are expensive on Beyers website but that information explains it.

Can you not use your 1.4m cable from your T5P Gen2 on your Amiron Home? I thought they were compatible.

See here:

https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/audiophile-connection-cable-1-40-m.html

fits:

T 1 (2nd Generation)
T 5 p (2nd Generation)
Amiron home
Aventho wired

That's the same cable supplied with the T2p Gen2 I believe.

Nov 29, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #1,825 of 1,956
Dec 1, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #1,826 of 1,956
Cables are compatible across Amiron Home, T1 Gen 2 and Gen 3 as well as T5(p) Gen 2 and Gen 3, yes. And yes, the T1/T5 cables are of very high quality, I even bought some for my Denon D7200 of old (the D9200 I purchased recently comes with its own short cable)

Dec 1, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #1,827 of 1,956
Heads up for anyone interested in buying the t5p 2nd gen.I have mine for sale.They are technically the best headphones I have owned, but I just find them a bit too bright for me.They have only had about 20 hours use.

Dec 1, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #1,828 of 1,956
Heads up for anyone interested in buying the t5p 2nd gen.I have mine for sale.They are technically the best headphones I have owned, but I just find them a bit too bright for me.They have only had about 20 hours use.
Which exactly happened to me. They were bright in the beginning but the sound improved over time. From unpleasant bright to delighting bright.

Dec 1, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #1,829 of 1,956
Which exactly happened to me. They were bright in the beginning but the sound improved over time. From unpleasant bright to delighting bright.
Thats what I was thinking.If I dont sell in the next couple of weeks will probably hang on to them.I appreciate that with only 20 hours on them the beyers will improve with more use.I have to say the detail of the sound is pretty amazing.

Dec 1, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #1,830 of 1,956
Thats what I was thinking.If I dont sell in the next couple of weeks will probably hang on to them.I appreciate that with only 20 hours on them the beyers will improve with more use.I have to say the detail of the sound is pretty amazing.
Yeah, in the beginning it didn't sound really nice and fun and bass was kinda lacking. But I did notice it improved and appreciate it more and bass has gotten stronger and treble more pleasant. And now the T5p.2 has been discontinued, I wouldn't sell it to be honest. If you already appreciate that with only 20 hours, then you'll love it more ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back