New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Jan 12, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #1,546 of 1,956
Thank you for your review. I am an Android guy so I don't know if the volume is an iphone related issue. The data sheet says "50mw" @32Ohms so we are talking about 152db with the T5p which should be more then enough juice.
I think it is particularly iPod Touch related. I don't think the digital output signal of the iPod Touch is sufficiently modulated to get anywhere close to 50 milliwatts output from the Impacto. The Hugo 2 you have to be quite careful with. as when you change input devices with different output levels, a new device can easily make the Hugo 2 produce output levels with the T5P-2 phones that would rapidly cause hearing damage.

Jan 12, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #1,547 of 1,956
You could quite easily get a cable maker to make you an adapter from the dual output plugs of the Impacto (tip and ring for signal on both L&R male 3.5mm plugs) to a 3.5mm stereo female socket. Custom Cans in the UK would do this and I am sure there are equally competent cable makers in other countries. I agree that Beyerdynamic should offer an adapter.
Have no idea where to find one, I live in the Netherlands. I really don't get it why Beyerdynamic doesn't offer that adapter considering 3.5mm is world wide used in every device.

But it's not really important for me. I had the Impacto in mind because of T1 but I imagine it will get tedious over time to carry cables and adapters everytime when I wanna use it. So for now deciding between T5p and DT1770 Pro.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #1,548 of 1,956
Have no idea where to find one, I live in the Netherlands. I really don't get it why Beyerdynamic doesn't offer that adapter considering 3.5mm is world wide used in every device..

Given that the UK is just about still in the EU and for customs purposes, this continues for this year at least, it would mean that Custom Cans is your best option for an adapter cable. Speak to jason Rhys-thomas <info@customcans.co.uk> They are very up on the peculiar connections of the Impacto as they got it wrong on the cables they made for me the first time and had to make a second set of cables. They are very quick and you would have an adapter cable a few days after ordering. They sent mine to my French house so they are happy to send out of the UK.

Jan 12, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #1,549 of 1,956
Given that the UK is just about still in the EU and for customs purposes, this continues for this year at least, it would mean that Custom Cans is your best option for an adapter cable. Speak to jason Rhys-thomas <info@customcans.co.uk> They are very up on the peculiar connections of the Impacto as they got it wrong on the cables they made for me the first time and had to make a second set of cables. They are very quick and you would have an adapter cable a few days after ordering. They sent mine to my French house so they are happy to send out of the UK.
I can vouch that Custom Cans are a great company.

Jan 12, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #1,550 of 1,956
I got a pair from amazon.co.uk for 675 EUR. I really like them. They are more of an allrounder then the T1.2 with their kind of extreme tuning. Can you recommend a good, small USB-C dongle for use with an Anrdoid phone and PC? I am leaning towards the Impacto Essential (99 EUR as b-stock in Germany).
I found the Universal Impacto running off my iPhone 7 Plus to be rather poor in its performance. The Chord Mojo is far superior for a similar price and matches great with the T5P's.

Jan 12, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #1,551 of 1,956
I found the Universal Impacto running off my iPhone 7 Plus to be rather poor in its performance. The Chord Mojo is far superior for a similar price and matches great with the T5P's.
I have seen Chord being recommended a lot. That thing is really able to power 600ohms headphones? Hard to believe considering how such portable are rare. The cheapest is €375.

Jan 13, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #1,552 of 1,956

The Chord Mojo is ~400 EUR, the Impacto Essential 100 EUR. I only need it for Android and maybe my PC.

I do own the infamous Speaka DAC but it's a bit unwieldly on the go.

I am using the Apple USB-C adapter with my Xelentos but it has very limited output on Android and only drives the T5P to room volume levels.

Jan 16, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #1,553 of 1,956
I received my Impacto essential yesterday. Its volume Control is separate from the Android or Windows control so you have to set the latter to the max and change the volume with the buttons n the Impacto itself.
It then has more then enough power to push the T5P to unhealthy levels, but the same was even true for my T1, at least with somewhat recent recordings. It is really practical and surprisingly lightweight. For 99 EUR its a bargain and gets my recommendation, at least for Android an PC use.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #1,554 of 1,956
How do you guys get on with these when out and about, they are fairly large headphones IMO and am unsure as to their suitability to on the go listening.

Jan 27, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #1,555 of 1,956
Their size worries me a bit as well and even more, the enormous hard case. I am about to fly to Cape Town from the UK in 10 days time and my normal travel headphones, a pair of AKG495NC have a broken hinge (like many of these). AKG have run out of spares and are not intending to make any more, in an epic piece of customer service - not! My son is going to 3D print some repair pieces in ABS for the AKG phones (I can send the Solidworks print file to anyone else who needs it) but I doubt they will be done and sent to me prior to my leaving for South Africa. I was considering buying a Sennheiser bag to carry around the T5P-2 phones in, as I am not sure my hard Samsonite cabin luggage case will close over the Beyerdynamic hard phones case. I must give it a trial run to see if I need to buy a bag.

Jan 28, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #1,556 of 1,956
I got a small hard case off amazon https://smile.amazon.de/gp/product/B07R7PMTRN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Beyerdynamic is also selling an official travel case fr double the price. Justsearch for a DT770/990 case, they are about the same measurements and much more common, so there are more case options available.

I pair them with an Impacto Essential that is connected via USB-C to my phone or notebook.
I am only using them indoors, though, since running around wiht headphones that large makes you look really stupid.

Feb 8, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #1,558 of 1,956
Hi i was thinking of buying TP5 Gen2 and pairing it with my sony wm1a has anyone heard this pairing? I dont have any place to demo this cans where i live. I have the sony mdrz7 and like it how does the Tp5 gen2 compare to it?

Feb 8, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #1,559 of 1,956
After having tried so many different pads on these I think my favorites for these are either the stock one or the custom one/mmx-300 pleater ones.
The custom one pads are bigger and feel like as small pillow on your face while the stock pads are smaller and 'stick' to your face. Most other pads change the sound for the worse and I've tried about all dekoni pads that make sense, of those I like the TH900 pads the best.

Feb 8, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #1,560 of 1,956
Hi i was thinking of buying TP5 Gen2 and pairing it with my sony wm1a has anyone heard this pairing? I dont have any place to demo this cans where i live. I have the sony mdrz7 and like it how does the Tp5 gen2 compare to it?

I have the ZX300 and they are a great combo. I used them together just the other day. I used a 4.4mm balanced cable and then went into the EQ. I went 2 plus on the bass, 2 plus on the midrange and 2 minus on the treble. It sounded great.

Shane D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back