New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Dec 29, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #3,811 of 3,924
Has anyone diy'd an unbalanced cable for the T1 V2? Just wondering what's involved as to the wiring, etc. I have a pair coming tomorrow and want to have a 15' cable for them. I've built several longer cables for my Denon AH-D9200's and was wondering how the T1 V2 cable is set up.

Dec 29, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #3,812 of 3,924
Planning to get Xduoo TA26 to add tube sound into my chain, also that high output Z, anyone have heard the combo?
i think its mostly Xduoo remakng Darkvoice wih better components and externals

I have the T1 V1 and a TA26 and it's a combo I absolutely love love love love love love. I ended up getting a RCA 6SN7GTB and RCA 6AS7G tube but even with the stock tube the T1 and TA26 pairing is pretty sweet. The DV/TA26 absolutely works magic with ultra ultra ultra high impedance cans. I'm in my 40s so the highs of the T1 don't bother me as much anymore so Im really starting to truly enjoy my T1s.....Im super happy I decided to hold onto them, especially after getting my TA26. The only other set of cans I enjoy regularly on the TA26 are the HD600 and my Audio Technica R70x (both also with super high impedance) but of the 3, the T1 is the one i listen to the most on the xDuoo

Dec 30, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #3,813 of 3,924
Has anyone diy'd an unbalanced cable for the T1 V2? Just wondering what's involved as to the wiring, etc. I have a pair coming tomorrow and want to have a 15' cable for them. I've built several longer cables for my Denon AH-D9200's and was wondering how the T1 V2 cable is set up.
Never mind. Much to my surprise, my diy Denon cable works just fine with the T1. I wanted to try an open back for a change and found these used for a very good price. Got to listen to them this afternoon and I must say I'm impressed so far. They're very, very close to my Denon 9200's and maybe better them very slightly in the top end. I hear a bit more sparkle in the highs, possibly a tad more in the mids, and a slightly more airy soundstage. Overall though I'd still give the nod to the Denons but not by much.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #3,814 of 3,924
Hello everybody, I have a doubt - perhaps a particular one - about the Beyerdynamic 4-pin balanced cable. I use this with my T1 2nd Gen. and with my Amiron Home. It seems to me that this cable "adds" some impedance in order to mimic the output of high-impedance amplifiers regardless of the specific amp you are using. I know that Beyerdynamic produced and recommended amplifiers with such specifications for their high-impedance headphone models.
Why am I suggesting that their balanced cable works this way? Because I noticed it strongly altered the sonic performance of my HifiMan headphones - Sundara and HE6se V1, now both sold because I just did not like the way they sounded. I did some A/B comparisons between the two HifiMan's plugged to the amp via their stock balanced cable and the Beyerdynamic one and I noticed the following:

1) The sound of the HE6se became weaker and more congested with the Beyerdynamic cable; I needed to increase the volume on the amp to get the same SPL that I had with the HifiMan cable, but anyways the sound became also thinner and harsher.
2) The sound of the Sundara was completely altered: not only it seemed to lose something between 12dB and 18dB of sound pressure as I changed the cable, but also felt very distant, as if the sound source was located in an external room with closed doors. Turning up the volume on the amp did not help much but actually worsened further the situation, to the point that, the few times I tried the Sundara with the Beyerdynamic cable, I immediately unplugged them from the amp as I feared possible damages.

I know these planar models have flat low-impedance profiles and they should not suffer from source variations, but I was very puzzled by this behavior. Both HifiMan's worked instead flawlessly with their stock balanced cable. Just to be sure, I plugged the regular 6.35mm Beyerdynamic cable to the Sundara and the HE6se and nothing weird happened - they continued to sound as if they had their own stock cable. So I concluded that the issue must be specific to the balanced one. Needless to say that this cable works perfectly with my T1 and Amiron Home, which sound full, natural and balanced.

Has anybody ever used this Beyerdynamic cable on some HifiMan headphones? What do you think about the situation described above?

Jan 3, 2023 at 2:12 AM Post #3,816 of 3,924
Jan 3, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #3,817 of 3,924
Hello everybody, I have a doubt - perhaps a particular one - about the Beyerdynamic 4-pin balanced cable. I use this with my T1 2nd Gen. and with my Amiron Home. It seems to me that this cable "adds" some impedance in order to mimic the output of high-impedance amplifiers regardless of the specific amp you are using. I know that Beyerdynamic produced and recommended amplifiers with such specifications for their high-impedance headphone models.
Why am I suggesting that their balanced cable works this way? Because I noticed it strongly altered the sonic performance of my HifiMan headphones - Sundara and HE6se V1, now both sold because I just did not like the way they sounded. I did some A/B comparisons between the two HifiMan's plugged to the amp via their stock balanced cable and the Beyerdynamic one and I noticed the following:

1) The sound of the HE6se became weaker and more congested with the Beyerdynamic cable; I needed to increase the volume on the amp to get the same SPL that I had with the HifiMan cable, but anyways the sound became also thinner and harsher.
2) The sound of the Sundara was completely altered: not only it seemed to lose something between 12dB and 18dB of sound pressure as I changed the cable, but also felt very distant, as if the sound source was located in an external room with closed doors. Turning up the volume on the amp did not help much but actually worsened further the situation, to the point that, the few times I tried the Sundara with the Beyerdynamic cable, I immediately unplugged them from the amp as I feared possible damages.

I know these planar models have flat low-impedance profiles and they should not suffer from source variations, but I was very puzzled by this behavior. Both HifiMan's worked instead flawlessly with their stock balanced cable. Just to be sure, I plugged the regular 6.35mm Beyerdynamic cable to the Sundara and the HE6se and nothing weird happened - they continued to sound as if they had their own stock cable. So I concluded that the issue must be specific to the balanced one. Needless to say that this cable works perfectly with my T1 and Amiron Home, which sound full, natural and balanced.

Has anybody ever used this Beyerdynamic cable on some HifiMan headphones? What do you think about the situation described above?

I am not a cable guy but seems T1 cable is not compatible with hifiman. I used the T1 3.5mm cable on hifiman and no sound. For balanced cable, would it be the case that the +/- are swapped?

Jan 3, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #3,818 of 3,924

I am not a cable guy but seems T1 cable is not compatible with hifiman. I used the T1 3.5mm cable on hifiman and no sound. For balanced cable, would it be the case that the +/- are swapped?
I had the same problem. The official t1.2nd balanced cable didn't work with the he6se. It sounded off somehow. Switch to a hart cable I had around and it worked fine!

Jan 8, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #3,820 of 3,924
Thanks for sharing your experiences. Interesting to read that there have been issues also with the single-ended Beyerdynamic cable. Maybe there is some electrical compatibility issue...
The Beyer cable is wired differently than the Hifiman cable. One uses tip/ring configuration and the other uses tip/sleeve on the headphone plugs. Sorry I can't remember which is which but I discovered it when making my own cables.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #3,821 of 3,924
The Beyer cable is wired differently than the Hifiman cable. One uses tip/sleeve configuration and the other uses tip/sleeve on the headphone plugs. Sorry I can't remember which is which but I discovered it when making my own cables.
Good to know. I do know the Beyer cables work with the Focal headphones and the Sony MDR-Z1R/Z7.

Jan 8, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #3,822 of 3,924
The Beyer cable is wired differently than the Hifiman cable. One uses tip/ring configuration and the other uses tip/sleeve on the headphone plugs. Sorry I can't remember which is which but I discovered it when making my own cables.
My apologies. I corrected my post as I had tip/sleeve indicated for both of them. Should be tip/ring for one and tip/sleeve for the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back