New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Jul 14, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #3,781 of 3,924
Based on my experience of the T1.3 compared to the T5.3. The T1.3 reacts a lot more to changes in amplification than the T5.3. Both like good quality amplification but the T1.3 was more varied in its reactions to different gear. But the T1.3 and T5.3 seem to have different drivers. The T5p.2 and T5.3 may have the same drivers.

I hope Beyer releases another high end 600 ohm headphone though. I generally prefer higher impedance headphones actually, I chose the T1.3 over the T1.2 simply because I thought the 3rd Gen sounded better after owning both for months and trying a variety of gear.

I found using sorbothane, damping the living daylights out of the inside DT 480 and doing multiple layers of damping on the baffle is how was able to get me to squeeze satisfactory subbass and bass for modern Genres on the 25 Ohm. The thing is with the right pads the 200 ohm was one of the best headphones I ever tried on bassy genres.

I think wood will work with some Beyers imho. A woody Tesla Beyer is appealing to me. But I don’t think Beyer has ever made a wooden headphone.

There was actually one wooden beyer headphone. Well to say it was official would be a stretch, but moreso a prototype. One engineer who was new to Beyerdynamic at the time in the 60s, made a dt100 with wood cups as a prototype.

This was info I got off the net once a while back ... some Q & A with a Beyerdynamic Engineer.

Also confirmed by the agent in the dt150 thread... post #544. So seems like it truly existed.

But I doubt there is a set out there for sale XD... maybe it's the museum.

If I ever visit the factory, I would most defo ask them. And in a way that info itself is what motivated me to make my own with wood cups. Like knowing it was done, kind of makes it less ... .... insane/ weird I guess.

Jul 15, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #3,782 of 3,924
There was actually one wooden beyer headphone. Well to say it was official would be a stretch, but moreso a prototype. One engineer who was new to Beyerdynamic at the time in the 60s, made a dt100 with wood cups as a prototype.

This was info I got off the net once a while back ... some Q & A with a Beyerdynamic Engineer.

Also confirmed by the agent in the dt150 thread... post #544. So seems like it truly existed.

But I doubt there is a set out there for sale XD... maybe it's the museum.

If I ever visit the factory, I would most defo ask them. And in a way that info itself is what motivated me to make my own with wood cups. Like knowing it was done, kind of makes it less ... .... insane/ weird I guess.
Oh that is interesting. Didn't know about that, wonder what it would be like if Beyer made a modern headphone with wood earcups. Chances are that wooden headphones is in a museum or at the headquarters. I believe the first DT 48 is at their headquarters. But honestly Beyer doesn't really strike me as a company to make a wooden headphone or if they do it they would incorporate it in a more sleek modern German fashion. But I have noticed Beyer doesn't seem to want to break the $1000 mark on their headphones and honestly that's a good thing imho with how many extremely expensive headphones there are now, but that does reduce the chance of wooden headphones from them.

Wood has been more of the Japanese's specialty in regards to headphone manufacturers with a long history and that make their own drivers. Audio-Technica is famous for their woodies, there is the Fostex/Denon's, JVC Victor has made numerous woodies and even made wooden drivers (which are really good btw), and Sony made the R10.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #3,783 of 3,924
Probably not beyer style to use wood

But I remember seeing the headphile woodies and others who DIY them

1657989463447.png

1657989587403.png

1657989613489.png

Beyer seems to still make them with design in mind, in the context of looking normal on a human head XD

Would a tesla driver or even Amiron driver benefit from larger chambers like a Lawton cup with various woods? It's possible for certain desired sound signatures which might steer away from your ideal "hifi" signatures.

With 3d printing services booming, and certain Beyers used going for $99 (like dt770). I would not think it would be so farfetched since the beyer drivers / baffle are circles to mount to a 3d printing bracket and attached to sometimes like a Lawton cup.

Teslas are a diff story... as its more in the pricier territory.

So having your ideal daily Beyer , and then a DIY on the side can be a fun / fulfilling route

The only reason I made DIY can was to make drivers which generally cannot play certain genres, play certain genres to my liking. There was a purpose to the madness.

But sometimes the right sound can end up in really weird designs and leave the user looking like they popped out of one flew over the cuckoos nest.

1657990339375.png

1657990440576.png

1657990374646.png

1657990507424.png

Sep 23, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #3,784 of 3,924
I’ve managed to find and purchase a good condition unit from eBay today. Always wanted one of these to use with my tube amps (feliks echo 2, Valhalla 2 and woo wa8). I’ve always liked beyer headphones and own the t5 mk2, t5 mk3, dt1990, dt990 250 ohm. Still think I’ll get the dt880 600 ohm at some point too

Sep 24, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #3,785 of 3,924
I owned and loved the DT880 600ohm. Great headphone I thought, though it has been years since I owned it.
I’ve managed to find and purchase a good condition unit from eBay today. Always wanted one of these to use with my tube amps (feliks echo 2, Valhalla 2 and woo wa8). I’ve always liked beyer headphones and own the t5 mk2, t5 mk3, dt1990, dt990 250 ohm. Still think I’ll get the dt880 600 ohm at some point too

Sep 24, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #3,787 of 3,924
I've yet to try the DT880 600 ohm but the T1.2 Ninja Edition (600 ohm) is definitely magic especially on tubes. It's one of the few headphones I continue to listen to other than ZMFs.

Sep 28, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #3,791 of 3,924
My t1 arrived. I am loving it with my feliks echo 2 and woo wa8 tube amps. Sounds fantastic, especially with ambient and classical music

Oct 20, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #3,792 of 3,924
Had to get some new pads for my T1 G2 since they have compressed to much over the years, was hesistant but bought some dekoni pads instead. Tried the Suede and Elite Velour, Elite velour being the best for me.

Elite Velour is very much the same as the stock pad, more low end and a hint of less highs. A good alternative if you find the bass lacking and want the sound signature to stay close to the original. Soundstage a tad wider also, probably since the pads are a little deeper.

Choice Suede gives a few dB more low end than elite velour and takes the mids and treble back some more, a good alternative for people who finds T1 G2 to be too much and want a more easy listen with some bass.

Oct 20, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #3,793 of 3,924
Had to get some new pads for my T1 G2 since they have compressed to much over the years, was hesistant but bought some dekoni pads instead. Tried the Suede and Elite Velour, Elite velour being the best for me.

Elite Velour is very much the same as the stock pad, more low end and a hint of less highs. A good alternative if you find the bass lacking and want the sound signature to stay close to the original. Soundstage a tad wider also, probably since the pads are a little deeper.

Choice Suede gives a few dB more low end than elite velour and takes the mids and treble back some more, a good alternative for people who finds T1 G2 to be too much and want a more easy listen with some bass.
Do you find the inner hole of the pads bigger compared to the stock ones?

Oct 21, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #3,794 of 3,924
Do you find the inner hole of the pads bigger compared to the stock ones?
They are deeper than the original, while the width and height is the same. The only Beyer models I can use without ear discomfort is the angled driver models, still when the pad gets squished over time my ear start to touch. Maybe a tad sensitive, but comfort is a must for me.

Oct 21, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #3,795 of 3,924
They are deeper than the original, while the width and height is the same. The only Beyer models I can use without ear discomfort is the angled driver models, still when the pad gets squished over time my ear start to touch. Maybe a tad sensitive, but comfort is a must for me.
So does for me, my issue with the T1s (I've tried the second and third revision) is that the pads pinch my ear lobes, because they are smaller than other Beyer pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back