New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Jun 28, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #1,561 of 3,924
@moriez haha, I don't believe we are as far off as you may believe.  As the recent owner of a TH-900, I can assure you that I appreciate a good bassline.  Perhaps it is that my idea of electronic is slightly older - Vangelis, Eno, and the like.  That said, the tight and punchy bass can't be too far off from the mark could it?  Surely not the most visceral, but I feel the imaging qualities more than make up in terms of its accuracy and ability to capture sweeping synthesized tracks.

As for the T1 being an all-rounder, I really don't think the T1 is regarded as a particularly niche headphone unless I am completely off.  In fact, I have heard that the HD800 is more niche than the T1, which is more musical.

Jun 28, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #1,562 of 3,924
I was not able to try the T1.1 but here is my take on T1.2. Yes, T1.2 can be ocassionally sibilant if that is the right term. In some recordings, the T1.2 can bring out, how the recording has been made it may not be genre specific but how well a recording has been mastered. I do believe that most pop genres are recorded "hot" if that is the right term in which they are equlized in a "V" position which in fact if you will listen it to a fairly neutral set up it the highs will be very evident and the bass will not that be much emphasized due to the fact the ears are far more sensitive in high registers than the lower spectrum of music (usually we can tolerate more bass than treble).

If i am to describe the T1.2 the very first thing that i was able to notice is the staging, it is wide and you can sense that the instruments are properly separated. Bass, it is extended but if i am to be asked i wanted it to be more punchy, faster and a tad lighter. Midrange, it is abit laid back, maybe i am accustomed to the sound of the 1840 which is really forward sounding, it is also more natural in a sense that it does not become shouty at higher volumes. Treble, for me it is not bright but can be sibilant on poorly recorded albums and or the singer is really emphasizing on the letters correctly like "s", "sh" words like that..

Thank you for letting me share my thoughts on the T1.2 :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 28, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #1,563 of 3,924
  Apologies if this has been asked and answered, but has anyone compared the T1.2 with unbalanced and balanced cables? I'm using a Cavalli Liquid Carbon so I can run balanced cables. However, the beyerdynamic balanced cable is around $145 so before I pull the trigger it would be good to know if others have experienced a noticeable difference in sound.

Improvement, or lack thereof, with the use of a balanced cable out of a balanced amp has much more to do with the amp and its implementation of its balanced and single-ended output than it does with the headphones used (T1.2 or any other).  In your case, I would suggest searching the Liquid Carbon forum for 'balanced vs single-ended' opinions.

I'm not familiar enough with the Liquid Carbon to offer thoughts in this regard. Some amps, like the Ayre Codex are reported to sound much better using the balanced output. Other amps sound very similar both ways. Let us know where you net out!

Jun 28, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #1,564 of 3,924
Guys!

Am i allowed here to post a link of one song that i have downloaded in HDTracks? This is to check what will be the outcome in our respective gears specially our T1?

Thank you. :)

Jun 28, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #1,566 of 3,924
Guys!

Am i allowed here to post a link of one song that i have downloaded in HDTracks? This is to check what will be the outcome in our respective gears specially our T1?

Thank you.
smily_headphones1.gif

It should be ok if it's a free sample from HDTracks otherwise...I don't think so. 

I'm looking forward to this. Same song, same headphone, different gear, different ears.... 
popcorn.gif

Jun 29, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #1,568 of 3,924

It should be ok if it's a free sample from HDTracks otherwise...I don't think so. 

I'm looking forward to this. Same song, same headphone, different gear, different ears.... 
popcorn.gif

That seems like a pretty good idea in fact.

Hey do you perhaps think we should a thread for this. Call it "What Did You Hear" for various headphones too.

Should i put it in a new post and have "What Did You Hear" thread or make it exclusive here on this thread?

I will also try to post here the songs that i am planning to be test subjects.

I also plan to make one song for every genre (like pop, jazz, rock, alternative and classical)

I will also to make sure that i have .wav files of these or atleast .flac or at worst .mp3 (which is not overly compressed)

:)

Jun 29, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #1,570 of 3,924
Can a headstage arrow g5 drive beyer t1.2 to an acceptable level?

Hi, just an opinion, first we have to reach an agreement of what is "acceptable". I believe any amp even iPhone can run the T1/1.2 but it cannot drive it properly.

Personally, i have not hear nor tried this amp but if it is portable, then atleast you need more voltage for high impedance headphones (more current for lower impedance) if i am not mistaken.

Let us hear what others will say. :)

Jun 29, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #1,571 of 3,924
  @moriez haha, I don't believe we are as far off as you may believe.  

Very well possible we're not as far off as I'm thinking. Not easy to really know what everyone's exactly talking about. Interpreting others words and even what we mean with our own words. Ideas I have about whatever equipment is just one tiny and incomplete picture of the whole. For example Gen1 as ''genre specific'' is a way I started to describe the T1 for me and likely will continue to do so for me. When someone states it's rather ''quality specific'' is a view I'll completely underwrite but it didn't make it as my primary view for reasons that are actually becoming more and more questionable. Funny..

Perhaps it is that my idea of electronic is slightly older - Vangelis, Eno, and the like.  

There we go. Another example of the above. What's electronic music? And also on what day I'm asked the question. Many times I'll describe the genre as EDM which to me implies a thorough beat but in the post I was inconsistent and said electronic which implies everything made from synths. Not to start off a debate about what is what here. Just making a point.

As for the T1 being an all-rounder, I really don't think the T1 is regarded as a particularly niche headphone unless I am completely off.  

Your choice of words suits me. You say: regarded as. In my head I labeled it more as being niche than allrounder. When I look back at the several genres I mentioned for T1 listening and our posts it has me suddenly thinking, is it really that niche?

Lesson learned: ideas get kind of rusty if you don't vent them enough :) Some feedback, some funneling can be really interesting. 

Sorry for the off-topic peeps.

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #1,572 of 3,924

Very well possible we're not as far off as I'm thinking. Not easy to really know what everyone's exactly talking about. Interpreting others words and even what we mean with our own words. Ideas I have about whatever equipment is just one tiny and incomplete picture of the whole. For example Gen1 as ''genre specific'' is a way I started to describe the T1 for me and likely will continue to do so for me. When someone states it's rather ''quality specific'' is a view I'll completely underwrite but it didn't make it as my primary view for reasons that are actually becoming more and more questionable. Funny..

There we go. Another example of the above. What's electronic music? And also on what day I'm asked the question. Many times I'll describe the genre as EDM which to me implies a thorough beat but in the post I was inconsistent and said electronic which implies everything made from synths. Not to start off a debate about what is what here. Just making a point.

Your choice of words suits me. You say: regarded as. In my head I labeled it more as being niche than allrounder. When I look back at the several genres I mentioned for T1 listening and our posts it has me suddenly thinking, is it really that niche?

Lesson learned: ideas get kind of rusty if you don't vent them enough :) Some feedback, some funneling can be really interesting. 

There is so much I agree with in this post, +1.  For a slight non-sequitur before we bring it all back.  I often like to draw parallels between HF and another hobby that I'm sure more than a couple are familiar with -photography.  Tons of gear, lots of discussion, and quite a number of disagreements at times.  As I've come to understand, a lot of the statements made in the photography community make significantly more sense when context and perspective are added. You quickly realize that people are in it for different things.  Some focus on technical prowess when they shoot, others composition and overall artistry.  Similar thing with headphones.  We all approach headphones differently, seeking different things in our cans.  This naturally skews our perceptions quite a bit.  

When I try gear, I generally have a sense of what I think about it.  I "get it".  I like to believe that I stand a fairly neutral ground in terms of sonic preferences, and more often than not I convince myself that my views can be easily understood by others.  However, when I put my impressions into words, this all changes so quickly.  I realize that a simple switch of terms could alter interpretations drastically.  This is only made more difficult by the subtle nuances attached to many words in the English language.  Even what I choose to mention first, or what I choose not to mention, can make huge differences in the way something is perceived.  It doesn't help that Head-Fi'ers are a hard working bunch who often attempt to analyze subjective sound impressions in great detail. 

While I'd say that most of the time we can reach an agreement, there are occasions where we may seem to be "all over" the place.  Having discussions and figuring out where we all stand is perhaps one of the most on-topic, fruitful discussions that we can have.  As members of the same community we'll end up learning a lot more about each other, and the way we describe our respective sonic preferences.

Which brings me to:

Should i put it in a new post and have "What Did You Hear" thread or make it exclusive here on this thread?

I also plan to make one song for every genre (like pop, jazz, rock, alternative and classical)

I will also to make sure that i have .wav files of these or atleast .flac or at worst .mp3 (which is not overly compressed)

I wouldn't mind a new post.  I'm not too sure about the format, but I almost want to say that it could be a sort of series where people vote on the headphones they want to do this for, etc.

i.e.

What Did You Hear (Beyerdynamic T1) - new thread

-Have a poll for the next headphone

OP will lay out the resources, rules, and hopefully provide an example of what he or she heard, so that others have a general sense of what is considered relevant.  Slowly, impressions and discussions will roll in.  Some noteworthy what did you hears may be pegged to the front page or in a constantly updated post.  

Jun 29, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #1,573 of 3,924
  Apologies if this has been asked and answered, but has anyone compared the T1.2 with unbalanced and balanced cables? I'm using a Cavalli Liquid Carbon so I can run balanced cables. However, the beyerdynamic balanced cable is around $145 so before I pull the trigger it would be good to know if others have experienced a noticeable difference in sound.

My desktop rig is the Liquid Carbon and T1.2. I find the beyer balanced cable to be absolutely worth the cost. As JerseyD says, it's about the amp rather then the headphones. The Liquid Carbon is designed from the outset to be run balanced. It has a single-ended output as a convenience, but Cavalli themselves acknowledge that it's performance is far below that of the fully balanced configuration. 

I was going to make my own cable but by the time you've bought good quality cable and connectors the premium for the OEM cable looks fairly small and, as far as I'm concerned, the quality materials that beyer use make their cables as good as any aftermarket option available.

Jun 29, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #1,574 of 3,924

There is so much I agree with in this post, +1.  For a slight non-sequitur before we bring it all back.  I often like to draw parallels between HF and another hobby that I'm sure more than a couple are familiar with -photography.  Tons of gear, lots of discussion, and quite a number of disagreements at times.  As I've come to understand, a lot of the statements made in the photography community make significantly more sense when context and perspective are added. You quickly realize that people are in it for different things.  Some focus on technical prowess when they shoot, others composition and overall artistry.  Similar thing with headphones.  We all approach headphones differently, seeking different things in our cans.  This naturally skews our perceptions quite a bit.  

When I try gear, I generally have a sense of what I think about it.  I "get it".  I like to believe that I stand a fairly neutral ground in terms of sonic preferences, and more often than not I convince myself that my views can be easily understood by others.  However, when I put my impressions into words, this all changes so quickly.  I realize that a simple switch of terms could alter interpretations drastically.  This is only made more difficult by the subtle nuances attached to many words in the English language.  Even what I choose to mention first, or what I choose not to mention, can make huge differences in the way something is perceived.  It doesn't help that Head-Fi'ers are a hard working bunch who often attempt to analyze subjective sound impressions in great detail. 

While I'd say that most of the time we can reach an agreement, there are occasions where we may seem to be "all over" the place.  Having discussions and figuring out where we all stand is perhaps one of the most on-topic, fruitful discussions that we can have.  As members of the same community we'll end up learning a lot more about each other, and the way we describe our respective sonic preferences.

Which brings me to:

I wouldn't mind a new post.  I'm not too sure about the format, but I almost want to say that it could be a sort of series where people vote on the headphones they want to do this for, etc.

i.e.

What Did You Hear (Beyerdynamic T1) - new thread

-Have a poll for the next headphone

OP will lay out the resources, rules, and hopefully provide an example of what he or she heard, so that others have a general sense of what is considered relevant.  Slowly, impressions and discussions will roll in.  Some noteworthy what did you hears may be pegged to the front page or in a constantly updated post.  

What i am planning about is to post some songs that can be downloaded by our fellow owners of Beyerdynamic T1.2 and then after sometime we will post here in the thread our impressions.

I would not want to immediately post the impressions for it can affect the thoughts of those people who are to hear the songs somewhat like "pre conditioning effect"

Jun 29, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #1,575 of 3,924

My desktop rig is the Liquid Carbon and T1.2. I find the beyer balanced cable to be absolutely worth the cost. As JerseyD says, it's about the amp rather then the headphones. The Liquid Carbon is designed from the outset to be run balanced. It has a single-ended output as a convenience, but Cavalli themselves acknowledge that it's performance is far below that of the fully balanced configuration. 

I was going to make my own cable but by the time you've bought good quality cable and connectors the premium for the OEM cable looks fairly small and, as far as I'm concerned, the quality materials that beyer use make their cables as good as any aftermarket option available.

Congrats that you are happy with the balanced configuration of the Cavalli Liquid Carbon, too bad i was not able to order one. :)

About the OEM and Aftermarket cables, i think the only difference between the OEM and Aftermarket is that aftermarket cables gives more flexibility on choosing "which to what configuration" besides, i would not think that the engineers in Beyerdynamic will produce a cable that will not properly match their flagship cans. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back