New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Jun 11, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #1,501 of 3,924

I sold the ALO recabled T1 after getting Gen2. Then at taking notice of the serials summary and at hearing said shortcomings from the Gen2 I bought another, later Gen1....

Oh snap!  It'll be really nice to have both around though.

So with the arrival of my 8000-series T1, all hope of productivity is gone for this weekend as I compare it to my 28k-series T1.2. Sigh. I have final exams...this is not a good time! Initial spitball impression: The T1.1 is a LOT airier than the 1.2 with less emphasis in the bass. I'll let my ears settle with them for a while and write more.

Yea there goes your weekend.

Jun 12, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #1,502 of 3,924
Well, I gotta say that my T1.2 is the keeper of the two. The 1.1 just sounds so...thin (sorry, I'm not up on my audiophile vocabulary). The differences are such that they're entirely different headphones. I imagine the 1.1 is closer to the DT770; recessed bass and airy, detailed mids/treble. It's not that the bass isn't there; the 1.1 certainly provided them if the source had it (e.g. Tron Legacy OST: "The Grid," "Rinzler") but nearly everything else was, well, disappointing. A little EQ nudge helped, but the 1.2 wins for just sounding fuller and richer without being bloated.

So now I'm back at my original question: is the T1.2 worth four times the price of the DT990/600? We'll see.

Jun 12, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #1,503 of 3,924
  Well, I gotta say that my T1.2 is the keeper of the two. The 1.1 just sounds so...thin (sorry, I'm not up on my audiophile vocabulary). The differences are such that they're entirely different headphones. I imagine the 1.1 is closer to the DT770; recessed bass and airy, detailed mids/treble. It's not that the bass isn't there; the 1.1 certainly provided them if the source had it (e.g. Tron Legacy OST: "The Grid," "Rinzler") but nearly everything else was, well, disappointing. A little EQ nudge helped, but the 1.2 wins for just sounding fuller and richer without being bloated.

So now I'm back at my original question: is the T1.2 worth four times the price of the DT990/600? We'll see.

I am just curious, what was your setup?

Jun 12, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #1,504 of 3,924
Nothing fancy. FLAC/JRriver > Modi 2 Uber > Bottlehead Crack (Speedball, film caps, Tung Sol 5998, Gold Lion 12AU7).

Jun 12, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #1,505 of 3,924
  Nothing fancy. FLAC/JRriver > Modi 2 Uber > Bottlehead Crack (Speedball, film caps, Tung Sol 5998, Gold Lion 12AU7).

I heard the T1.1 on a NAD DAC D7050 which has the similar 24/192 processing capability, nothing fancy, it was fed from the tidal, and the tube amp was the same as mine, T1.1 sounded superb. I made up my mind in during that half hour about T1.1, but it has OCC cable, not stock.

Jun 12, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #1,506 of 3,924

Hmm...have you thought about perhaps trying other headphones...say an Audeze...that may have a more of that full and rich sound?

Jun 12, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #1,507 of 3,924
considering selling both my sony mdr 7520 and senn hd650 for mr speaker 'ether' or this T1 2nd gen.
is there a big sound diff? i'm seeking a very detailed and balanced set of cans but is also musical:
ight and fab bass kick, good mids and balanced treble.

Jun 12, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #1,508 of 3,924
  have you thought about perhaps trying other headphones...say an Audeze...that may have a more of that full and rich sound?

Oh, absolutely! I tried a HE-560 for a while and really liked them. I'm self-limiting, though; I just finished my Crack and have no interest in getting another amp. Since it's OTL, that confines me to the realm of high-impedance cans like the T1. I'm not disappointed; I like them both. I just like the T1.2 a little more.

EDIT: I noticed that the 1.1 earpads were fairly worn, so I decided to swap the new pads from my 990's. The difference is incredible and I'm gonna have to give them all a fresh audition! The richness that I felt was missing came back with a new set of pads. Dang.

Jun 13, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #1,513 of 3,924
  @Alypius 990 and T1 pads are differently build right?

Nope, they fit great! The driver foam for the 990 is a separate piece, so the donuts are swappable.

Jun 15, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #1,515 of 3,924
I've received my new T1.2 yesterday, let it run some hours on a pink noise and here are my first impressions:
  1. System: Audirvana, Yggy, Taurus II, LCD2F with hybrid silver/copper balanced cable

1st contact. Very surprising coming from the LCD2 ! a « What » moment … not in favour of the T1. More thorough listening and A&B’ing with the LCD2F led to the following

Treble: Wow. The T1 has a fantastic top end. Wide open, extended, clear…. but loud… I guess this is the famous Beyer sound I didn’t know. Few years back I had listened to the T1.1 at a meet but it had left me cold (bleh, dull). This treble is put forward and create some slight sibilence, … and fatigue. Anyway, like it or not, it’s its sound signature, it’s clean and can be adjusted with EQ

Mids: Wow…major difference with LCD2F…..MAJOR ! Mids appear thin and recessed. This is where the LCD2 shines and I never realized it wasn’t really neutral. I guess it’s been too long since I’ve sold my HD800. Vocals come with all the flesh on the LCD2, they have body, are meaty, they sound real…. but they are in your face. Not so much for the T1.2. The whole spectrum is more balanced but it’s on the mid where you can hear it the most. With the LCD2, it’s like you are no further than 3ft from the singer. You can hear the tiniest detail. With the T1, you re several row further, making it more enjoyable but you’re loosing clarity and detail. Voices sound a bit cold too, not that real. 

Bass: I’ve not made up my mind on this one. Overall they are subtile. Kicks sound good and punchy, but deep bass are lacking control in my opinion. They smear on the lower mid. LCD2.1 had fabulous bass but the LCD2F isn’t reproducing bass as well. Overall LCD2F has more bass than the T1 but they are just a notch better controlled than the T1. I haven’t found the end game headphone for the lower end. 

Soundstage: It’s not even fair to compare these 2. T1 has a lot wider soundstage. Switching between these 2 is like going from 2D to 3D. It might not be as open as the HD800 (from what I remember) but it’s very satisfying. 

Comfort: T1 are obviously lighter and seem more flimsy than the LCD2. That make them more comfortable but not by a large margin. They are surprisingly hot though.

I now need to listen to a HD800s before I decide whether I’ll keep them or not. This review post #10129 seems to say the HD800S will address my concerns with the T1 that I could summarize like this: great balance but overall, a tad too bright and cold, almost metallic (the digital sound could be a good analogy).  Break in might help with the bass but won’t change the overall sound signature.

Note: These cans are power hungry ! While my LCD2 are fine with a 25% volume, I need to go twice higher with the T1, 50%... the Taurus has tons of room left, insane how loud it can go. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back