New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Jun 15, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #1,516 of 3,925
Oh! Heh, sorry. They look and feel identical. I ordered them from beyerdynamic's site and it says they're for use on the 990, T1, and a few others. Couldn't find a set of pads specifically for the T1.

Jun 15, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #1,518 of 3,925
  I've received my new T1.2 yesterday, let it run some hours on a pink noise and here are my first impressions:
  1. System: Audirvana, Yggy, Taurus II, LCD2F with hybrid silver/copper balanced cable

1st contact. Very surprising coming from the LCD2 ! a « What » moment … not in favour of the T1. More thorough listening and A&B’ing with the LCD2F led to the following

Treble: Wow. The T1 has a fantastic top end. Wide open, extended, clear…. but loud… I guess this is the famous Beyer sound I didn’t know. Few years back I had listened to the T1.1 at a meet but it had left me cold (bleh, dull). This treble is put forward and create some slight sibilence, … and fatigue. Anyway, like it or not, it’s its sound signature, it’s clean and can be adjusted with EQ

Mids: Wow…major difference with LCD2F…..MAJOR ! Mids appear thin and recessed. This is where the LCD2 shines and I never realized it wasn’t really neutral. I guess it’s been too long since I’ve sold my HD800. Vocals come with all the flesh on the LCD2, they have body, are meaty, they sound real…. but they are in your face. Not so much for the T1.2. The whole spectrum is more balanced but it’s on the mid where you can hear it the most. With the LCD2, it’s like you are no further than 3ft from the singer. You can hear the tiniest detail. With the T1, you re several row further, making it more enjoyable but you’re loosing clarity and detail. Voices sound a bit cold too, not that real. 

Bass: I’ve not made up my mind on this one. Overall they are subtile. Kicks sound good and punchy, but deep bass are lacking control in my opinion. They smear on the lower mid. LCD2.1 had fabulous bass but the LCD2F isn’t reproducing bass as well. Overall LCD2F has more bass than the T1 but they are just a notch better controlled than the T1. I haven’t found the end game headphone for the lower end. 

Soundstage: It’s not even fair to compare these 2. T1 has a lot wider soundstage. Switching between these 2 is like going from 2D to 3D. It might not be as open as the HD800 (from what I remember) but it’s very satisfying. 

Comfort: T1 are obviously lighter and seem more flimsy than the LCD2. That make them more comfortable but not by a large margin. They are surprisingly hot though.

I now need to listen to a HD800s before I decide whether I’ll keep them or not. This review post #10129 seems to say the HD800S will address my concerns with the T1 that I could summarize like this: great balance but overall, a tad too bright and cold, almost metallic (the digital sound could be a good analogy).  Break in might help with the bass but won’t change the overall sound signature.

Note: These cans are power hungry ! While my LCD2 are fine with a 25% volume, I need to go twice higher with the T1, 50%... the Taurus has tons of room left, insane how loud it can go. 

I'd give the T1-2 some serious play time with a lot of different music. I'm not a big fan of Audeze, not so much a sound signature issue as their lack of comfort and build quality.

Jun 15, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #1,519 of 3,925

I'd give the T1-2 some serious play time with a lot of different music. I'm not a big fan of Audeze, not so much a sound signature issue as their lack of comfort and build quality.

I'm not sure I will. The overly bright top end is killing it for me. I've always used silver cable to get a better top end but in that case I would need a bad copper cable !! Or play with the EQ. It's sad because otherwise, I like them a lot. Someone else described them as having bite and this is true. The sound is very crisp, bright, articulated... but unfortunately it comes quickly with fatigue. 

Jun 16, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #1,520 of 3,925

I'm not sure I will. The overly bright top end is killing it for me. I've always used silver cable to get a better top end but in that case I would need a bad copper cable !! Or play with the EQ. It's sad because otherwise, I like them a lot. Someone else described them as having bite and this is true. The sound is very crisp, bright, articulated... but unfortunately it comes quickly with fatigue. 

If T1.2 is bright for you, what would have happened if you reviewed T1.1? What is Taurus II in your system? I would pair the T1 with a nice tube amplifier to tame down the top end.

Jun 16, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #1,521 of 3,925

Taurus II is the well regarded amp by Auralic. I prefer to use my EQ (FabFilter Pro-Q 2) instead of changing my amp !
Lol yes, I've read many post of people complaining about how bright was the T1.1. I don't remember they were that bright but it was a long time ago and in a meet environment so not ideal. Anyway, T1.2 is already a bit too bright. I can't take more than that ! 

Jun 16, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #1,522 of 3,925
  Couldn't find a set of pads specifically for the T1.

I cant remember the part name but there is a specific pad for thr t1. 

@EvilKillaruna posted the link to the Gen1 (EDT T1V) pads a while ago: http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/edt-t1v.html
This man also made a few informative posts throughout the thread concerning Gen1 vs Gen2 vs HD800, T1 earpad differences and modding efforts.

And here's a link to the Gen2 pads: http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/edt-t1g2.html

Jun 16, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #1,523 of 3,925
It's very simple. Your amp have better synergy with Audeze than with T1. I know Taurus is good amp, but i dont think it have great synergy with T1... For me even T1.1 highs is not killing me, cant imagine T1.2 do that. Very smooth dac like multibits should help.

Jun 16, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #1,524 of 3,925
Time and again I'm reminded of how much placement to the front or to the back influences what you're hearing. On my head there's a lot of maneuvering space with the T1. For fine-tuning and maybe alleviate some of the treble bite in both generations it can make a welcome difference. For new owners it's easy to overlook this ''free tweak''.

Try it out?

Jun 16, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #1,525 of 3,925
  Time and again I'm reminded of how much placement to the front or to the back influences what you're hearing. On my head there's a lot of maneuvering space with the T1. For fine-tuning and maybe alleviate some of the treble bite in both generations it can make a welcome difference. For new owners it's easy to overlook this ''free tweak''.

Try it out?

Yes I found moving the cups backward increased treble and moving them frontwards they got bassy. You have to adjust to a sweet spot.

Jun 16, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #1,527 of 3,925

Try it out?

WOW moriez, this is the best advice anyone could give :D I will try this, T1 is only weekend away from me now.. 

Jun 16, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #1,528 of 3,925

Taurus II is the well regarded amp by Auralic. I prefer to use my EQ (FabFilter Pro-Q 2) instead of changing my amp !
Lol yes, I've read many post of people complaining about how bright was the T1.1. I don't remember they were that bright but it was a long time ago and in a meet environment so not ideal. Anyway, T1.2 is already a bit too bright. I can't take more than that ! 

If you still have the T1.2, try the moriez tweak :) That Fab EQ is so damn expensive :D Even with that kind of software if someone is saying their HPs are bright, I don't know what to say :D I have a Focal Beryllium tweeters in my Utopia system, when I told one of my friend that I am playing them on-axis, he said do you have iron ears? I was so pissed at him, I don't feel Metal dome tweeters bright, this is all just personal preference.

Jun 16, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #1,529 of 3,925
I'll try this easy fix.... will see. Thanks !
I haven't used any EQ so far. I just wanted to have a clear understanding of the T1 strengths and weaknesses. The Fab filter is fantastic when used as an audio unit in Audirvana. It's really a great software. I've tried Amarra this week, sure it sounds nice but what the hell, the UI is terrible. 
I do have focal speakers with Beryllium tweeter and they sound really great ! But to get the same amount of treble as the T1 with speakers, I'd have to use something like the Funktion one ! 
I've spent some more time last night with the T1.2, and I don't know if I've read it wrong, but I understood they were more forgiving.... damn, they have no mercy for poor recordings ! I've never heard such a great difference in sound mixing between records. They must be a great tool for sound engineers. That's probably where my comments on the bass were coming from. They can hit hard and clean but not all records are well recorded, hence the confusion (when I talked about lack of control and smearing).

Jun 16, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #1,530 of 3,925
  I'll try this easy fix.... will see. Thanks !
I haven't used any EQ so far. I just wanted to have a clear understanding of the T1 strengths and weaknesses. The Fab filter is fantastic when used as an audio unit in Audirvana. It's really a great software. I've tried Amarra this week, sure it sounds nice but what the hell, the UI is terrible. 
I do have focal speakers with Beryllium tweeter and they sound really great ! But to get the same amount of treble as the T1 with speakers, I'd have to use something like the Funktion one ! 
I've spent some more time last night with the T1.2, and I don't know if I've read it wrong, but I understood they were more forgiving.... damn, they have no mercy for poor recordings ! I've never heard such a great difference in sound mixing between records. They must be a great tool for sound engineers. That's probably where my comments on the bass were coming from. They can hit hard and clean but not all records are well recorded, hence the confusion (when I talked about lack of control and smearing).

The reason I suggested giving the T-1.2 more play time was because you have grown so accustomed to you're Focal speakers and the laid back, rolled off treble of the LCD-2. It may take some time for you're ears to adjust to the T-1.2 and it's more froward treble but it may be worth it.

In may case, I prefer bright, detailed headphones like the T-1 and HD-800 because my speaker of choice is the Klipsch Heresy 3. You may however prefer a more laid back sound signature, everyone is different and that's fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back