New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Apr 25, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #1,336 of 3,928

Nothing wrong with the stock cable; its great. Just prefer a shorter cable when using my DAPs (10ft is too long there) and also have multiple balanced cables (one is a balanced, pure silver Surf Cable). Too bad the T1.2 didn't come with a balanced cable like the HD800S but the much lower price and 3.5mm connectors (didn't know how narrow they would be) to use my existing cables made the decision easier.

I guess the person asking why I need (their words, not mine) another cable obviously has no plans to use their T1.2s balanced (if they even have a pair; profile say they have the T1). Why would Beyerdynamic make the cable detachable and offer an optional balanced cable unless they knew some of us would swap the stock one?

Yeah, when I saw they were 4-pole I wondered if they'd work. Decided to try them and working perfect so far. Just finished using the T1.2 balanced with my Pono player (used a dual 3-ring cable made for my Z7s). Don't see why the stock cable wouldn't work when every other cable I have does but I'll try it and post if it doesn't work.

Please note for both T 1 (2nd Generation) and T 5 p (2nd Generation) we have three fitting cables in stock:
  1. 3.0 meters, 3.5 mm stereo jack, screw-on 6.35 mm jack adapter (comes with T 1, 2nd Generation)
  2. 1.4 meters, 3.5 mm stereo jack, plug-on 6.35 mm jack adapter (comes with T 5 p, 2nd Generation)
  3. 3.0 meters, 4-pole male XLR-connector for balanced use (accessory part only)
All three cables use the identical raw cable material made of OCC 7N-copper and have a textile braided cable jacket. No soldering at the y-split. separated ground wires for left and right channels. Metal plugs anywhere.

Apr 25, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #1,337 of 3,928
  Like the $150 T50rp mk3's whose sound, imo, is preferable to the PM-3 or Z7

So funny, I was just reading a post from an experienced moder who has the T50RP Mk2 and MK3 and he feels the MK3 stock is a very poor headphone and that it also measures very poorly. He was suggesting that was the case even when different pads are put on it, but he is going to mod it as he feels with work it can be made to sound good.

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #1,338 of 3,928
Please note for both T 1 (2nd Generation) and T 5 p (2nd Generation) we have three fitting cables in stock:
  1. 3.0 meters, 3.5 mm stereo jack, screw-on 6.35 mm jack adapter (comes with T 1, 2nd Generation)
  2. 1.4 meters, 3.5 mm stereo jack, plug-on 6.35 mm jack adapter (comes with T 5 p, 2nd Generation)
  3. 3.0 meters, 4-pole male XLR-connector for balanced use (accessory part only)
All three cables use the identical raw cable material made of OCC 7N-copper and have a textile braided cable jacket. No soldering at the y-split. separated ground wires for left and right channels. Metal plugs anywhere.

Why didn't you guys include a second cable in the box? My T1.2 is the most expensive headphone I have yet its the only one of mine over $100 that came with just a single cable.

So funny, I was just reading a post from an experienced moder who has the T50RP Mk2 and MK3 and he feels the MK3 stock is a very poor headphone and that it also measures very poorly. He was suggesting that was the case even when different pads are put on it, but he is going to mod it as he feels with work it can be made to sound good.

Never had the mk2 and didn't try to get the Mad/Alpha Dogs or other modded ones. But, after reading so much about how good the mods sounded and hearing that Fostex made improvements with the mk3, I couldn't wait to try them. Now, with my stock mk3s I keep thinking, this must be how the modded mk2s sounded.

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #1,339 of 3,928
Why didn't you guys include a second cable in the box? My T1.2 is the most expensive headphone I have yet its the only one of mine over $100 that came with just a single cable.

Never had the mk2 and didn't try to get the Mad/Alpha Dogs or other modded ones. But, after reading so much about how good the mods sounded and hearing that Fostex made improvements with the mk3, I couldn't wait to try them. Now, with my stock mk3s I keep thinking, this must be how the modded mk2s sounded.

The reason they didnt include a 2nd cable is to keep costs down.

As hanselmann explained, they use 7n OCC copper, which isn't cheap. Instead of putting the price up and including 2 cables, they decided to keep the cost down and offer it as an accessory.

They could have included 2 lower quality cables at the same price, but I dont think that would have been a good idea. A high end headphone should come with a quality cable.

Apr 25, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #1,340 of 3,928
The reason they didnt include a 2nd cable is to keep costs down.

As hanselmann explained, they use 7n OCC copper, which isn't cheap. Instead of putting the price up and including 2 cables, they decided to keep the cost down and offer it as an accessory.

They could have included 2 lower quality cables at the same price, but I dont think that would have been a good idea. A high end headphone should come with a quality cable.

If you really believe that then ok. No way charging $1100 was a cost saving by leaving out a cable that would cost them <$20 to make (the retail for the optional cables after markup is $98-150).

I already bought the headphones. They're not as overpriced as the HD800S (which has a 2nd balanced cable) plus the carry case and 5yr warranty were better. Knew I'd find a way to use my existing balanced cables too.

T1.2 are great headphones. Good materials, great build quality, and excellent sound. But I won't pretend their pricing model was somehow doing me a favor.

Apr 25, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #1,343 of 3,928

If you really believe that then ok. No way charging $1100 was a cost saving by leaving out a cable that would cost them <$20 to make (the retail for the optional cables after markup is $98-150).

I already bought the headphones. They're not as overpriced as the HD800S (which has a 2nd balanced cable) plus the carry case and 5yr warranty were better. Knew I'd find a way to use my existing balanced cables too.

T1.2 are great headphones. Good materials, great build quality, and excellent sound. But I won't pretend their pricing model was somehow doing me a favor.

If I buy Toxic cables 7N OCC copper cable bulk, it costs at least £5 per ft, of course there is a mark up, but take in to account the cable is 3m, with 4 inner cables, and a shield, plus sheathing and connectors. I would like to see you make it for less than $20...

Of course it doesn't cost the retail price to make it as companies have to make money, so they can invest in future projects and products. I don't know why you are complaining. The cable is far better quality than the 2 Audeze stock cables.

I just don't get what your point is, to have one nice quality and offer the balanced one as an accessory as not that many use balanced anyway, or to include both cables of the same quality with an extra €100 or so added to the retail price for something most won't use. Or have it reasonably priced as an accessory (price vs other brands is actually very reasonable)

If non of the above makes you happy, make your own cable for less than $20 and be done with it.

Apr 25, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #1,344 of 3,928

If I buy Toxic cables 7N OCC copper cable bulk, it costs at least £5 per ft, of course there is a mark up, but take in to account the cable is 3m, with 4 inner cables, and a shield, plus sheathing and connectors. I would like to see you make it for less than $20...

Of course it doesn't cost the retail price to make it as companies have to make money, so they can invest in future projects and products. I don't know why you are complaining. The cable is far better quality than the 2 Audeze stock cables.

I just don't get what your point is, to have one nice quality and offer the balanced one as an accessory as not that many use balanced anyway, or to include both cables of the same quality with an extra €100 or so added to the retail price for something most won't use. Or have it reasonably priced as an accessory (price vs other brands is actually very reasonable)

If non of the above makes you happy, make your own cable for less than $20 and be done with it.

I wasn't complaining. This began after I posted info and pics that might be helpful to other T1.2 owners. 

Based on assumption that I somehow thought the stock cable was bad ((just for wanting to use my pure silver (not plated copper) cable)), someone asks 'why I need another cable' then another claims the manufacturer of a four-figure headphone left out some 'expensive' copper wiring as a cost saving measure.

We don't have to agree, but to accuse me of complaining after pointing out what is clearly a standard marketing practice, is wrong.

The Beyer rep (imo) only chimed in due to the above assumption so I decided to ask a question about a decision I believe was not based solely on costs. You responded to that question so I'll follow your guys' lead and assume you work for Beyerdynamic. If my posts about the adapters and/or my cable question were somehow inappropriate, no offense was intended.

Apr 25, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #1,345 of 3,928

If my posts about the adapters and/or my cable question were somehow inappropriate, no offense was intended.

Nothing you said was even remotely offensive or inappropriate. That was a fair question to ask and I didn't think you were rude in how you asked. I do tend to agree with the notion that despite cables not being that expensive to make that Beyerdynamic would likely have to eat into profit margin to provide the second cable. Now not knowing their exact profit margin I can't say whether or not they are being unreasonable by not providing a second cable with the T1. I personally think they should sell one for an add on of around $50 at the time the T1 is being purchased which should allow them to make a slight profit. Now a reseller might not do such a thing as they have a different pricing structure so perhaps that is why Beyer maintains the price they do on the balanced cable to allow their resellers room to compete?

Apr 25, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #1,346 of 3,928
  Nothing you said was even remotely offensive or inappropriate. That was a fair question to ask and I didn't think you were rude in how you asked. I do tend to agree with the notion that despite cables not being that expensive to make that Beyerdynamic would likely have to eat into profit margin to provide the second cable. Now not knowing their exact profit margin I can't say whether or not they are being unreasonable by not providing a second cable with the T1. I personally think they should sell one for an add on of around $50 at the time the T1 is being purchased which should allow them to make a slight profit. Now a reseller might not do such a thing as they have a different pricing structure so perhaps that is why Beyer maintains the price they do on the balanced cable to allow their resellers room to compete?

That is actually a very good idea, provide it at a discounted price when purchasing the headphones.

Also as I stated earlier, the amount of people with balanced setups is small, so for a company to include a balanced cable if it eats into profit margin doesn't make sense.

And again as I stated, the price of their own cable isn't that high compared to other brands and custom made ones. Yes it could be cheaper, again it is up to the person that purchases it whether it is value for money or not at the end of the day.

Didn't mean to upset anyone :)

Apr 25, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #1,347 of 3,928

That is actually a very good idea, provide it at a discounted price when purchasing the headphones.

Also as I stated earlier, the amount of people with balanced setups is small, so for a company to include a balanced cable if it eats into profit margin doesn't make sense.

And again as I stated, the price of their own cable isn't that high compared to other brands and custom made ones. Yes it could be cheaper, again it is up to the person that purchases it whether it is value for money or not at the end of the day.

Didn't mean to upset anyone :)

No worries mate, and I do agree with the balanced marketplace still being relatively small (although it does seem to be changing). I have always been a fan of companies really rewarding their customers where plausible and in my mind if I'm purchasing a $1000 headphone if I get the say regular retail $100 cable a deep discount seems fair (perhaps it isn't as viable as I think). I just have to think that Beyerdynamic doesn't really make much money on the extra cable so selling it for a reduction together with the T1 makes sense for everybody; they move inventory, create extra cash flow, raise the sale amount up and the customer gets a break which builds loyalty.

Apr 27, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #1,348 of 3,928
Does anyone have experience with the T1's rusting in high humidity (i.e. Southeast Asian) conditions.  I'm contemplating throwing these into a dry cabinet but I do worry that it may dry out the headphones a bit too much to the point where the leather gets damaged.  And that would be a real disaster.

Apr 27, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #1,349 of 3,928
Originally Posted by thatonenoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone have experience with the T1's rusting in high humidity (i.e. Southeast Asian) conditions.  I'm contemplating throwing these into a dry cabinet but I do worry that it may dry out the headphones a bit too much to the point where the leather gets damaged.  And that would be a real disaster.

They should be all right in a high humidity climate as long as their kept in a closed building most of the time.

Apr 28, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #1,350 of 3,928
Just received my T1 2g , awesome pairing with the Audio Gd NFB 29H ! It will be a complementary to my LCD 2F . I have return the Hifiman HE560 to get the T1 2G , the Hifiman is excellent but i like much more the Beyerdynamic ! Don't regret at all the purchase .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back