New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Nov 28, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #811 of 3,924

The single vs. balanced thing will mostly depend on the headphone amplifier you're using and how it was designed. If it's truly fully balanced, then single-ended was only using 50% of the amp's power...thus the need for balanced. Then there's the headphones to consider too. Highly efficient/low impedance headphones tend to sound pretty much the same (like say Grado's or the D7000s or TH900s). But the HD800s and T1s do benefit from the added power (as do orthos...generally speaking again here).

The V281 definitely falls into that category (i.e. using only half the amps when connecting single ended), so the reason for the difference was obvious. What baffled me was that even when I tried to compensate by turning up the volume the sound signature did not change to the likes of the symmetric connection... I did not hear that difference using the old T1 (which I reterminated to XL4)...

I don't want to get my SPL meter out and try to verify, I'll just leave it at that... I like the T1.2 with balanced connection to the V281. Which is good :)

Looking forward to your review...

Nov 28, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #812 of 3,924

The V281 definitely falls into that category (i.e. using only half the amps when connecting single ended), so the reason for the difference was obvious. What baffled me was that even when I tried to compensate by turning up the volume the sound signature did not change to the likes of the symmetric connection... I did not hear that difference using the old T1 (which I reterminated to XL4)...

I don't want to get my SPL meter out and try to verify, I'll just leave it at that... I like the T1.2 with balanced connection to the V281. Which is good :)

Looking forward to your review...

I was a big fan of the V200...I need to give the V281 a listen. How would you compare the two?

Nov 29, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #813 of 3,924
Finally got a listen to the new T1s, I must say I'm impressed by the improvements. The old T1s aren't even worth it in my opinion, given the price to sound comparison. These new ones are still pricey but at least they're starting to sound more like a headphone of their price range.

Very neutral, yet dynamic enough to keep things lively without sounding coloured, Extended highs gives these cans a bright sound, plentiful of detail throughout the entire spectrum, very controlled and tight bass, smooth treble. Pretty good transient response for a non Planar-magnetic/Electrostatic, though I do wish it is better given the price.

They do however suffer when playing tracks that have very forward upper mids/treble. I noticed that the shrill sound some complained about aren't present in all tracks - even some tracks that I expected to be a hiss fest aren't whilst others can get pretty bad, so it really boils down to the recording and mastering of the tracks in my opinion. 

That said, the price is still kind of high given that you'll need to consider a good source to drive them if you haven't own something capable of doing so already.

Nov 29, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #814 of 3,924

I was a big fan of the V200...I need to give the V281 a listen. How would you compare the two?

I never owned the V200, just heard it on several occasions, so I can't give you a detailed comparison. Overall I'd say the V200 is a touch warmer than the V281 (even when using its single-ended outputs) and I prefer the bigger volume knob and the relay volume implementation. I think both sound powerful, in the sense that they never compress dynamics and deliver as much power as is needed without breaking a sweat. Obviously the V281 has even more output, but I never came across requirements the V200 would not have been able to satisfy.

Would be very interested in your opinion on these two. I think both pair very well with Beyerdynamic headphones.

Nov 30, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #815 of 3,924
Hi Head-fi

I have been lurking this forum for some time now. So first post.

I have been wanting to upgrade my headphones and are interested in the new T1 (2gen). I mainly listen to jazz, blues, alternative rock and so on. And have not been truly satisfied with my Shure 1540 (my first headphones).

I have a ifi idsd micro and mainly listen to flac and HD files on my computer or use my phone as a player through the idsd when I am away.

My question is do any of you know if the Ifi idsd is sufficient enough to run the T1 (gen 2)? does it have enough power and how is the sound - if you have that combination?

Thanks! 

Nov 30, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #817 of 3,924
  Hi Head-fi

I have been wanting to upgrade my headphones and are interested in the new T1 (2gen). I mainly listen to jazz, blues, alternative rock and so on. And have not been truly satisfied with my Shure 1540 (my first headphones).

I have a ifi idsd micro and mainly listen to flac and HD files on my computer or use my phone as a player through the idsd when I am away.

My question is do any of you know if the Ifi idsd is sufficient enough to run the T1 (gen 2)? does it have enough power and how is the sound - if you have that combination?

Thanks! 

fer sure! the ifi iDSD Micro had no problems leaving the old T1s blasting music across the room at max settings, the new T1s shouldn't be any more difficult to drive. Can't comment on the sound since I haven't the chance to try that out, but probably won't disappoint. The iFi are pretty good gears.

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #818 of 3,924
  Hi Head-fi

Thanks! 

Hi MSXX!

My T1 2gens are supposed to arrive Friday.  I will try to remember to post you a quick, preliminary/pre-burn-in note on how they sound out of the box with the iDSD Micro and iCAN Micro for you so you can have confirmation.  But as Cjs001 stated, I can't imagine that if the 1gens work that the 2gens wouldn't.

Dec 1, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #820 of 3,924
Thanks for some great replies!

@ Knorris908 please let me know what you think of the new T1 and Ifi dsd micro combo. Feedback regarding if you think it is too "bright" would be very welcome. And also about what the ican brings to the mix would be very interesting.

Thanks again!

Dec 1, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #821 of 3,924
Anyone heard the T1 1st or 2nd generation with the Sennheiser amps (HDVD800 or HDVA600)?? 

Dec 1, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #822 of 3,924
  Thanks for some great replies!

@ Knorris908 please let me know what you think of the new T1 and Ifi dsd micro combo. Feedback regarding if you think it is too "bright" would be very welcome. And also about what the ican brings to the mix would be very interesting.

Thanks again!

I'll be happy to.  Though a bit of sad news...  The delivery estimate got pushed back to next week for some reason.  They were picked-up today, and are in the same state, only about 1/2 hour away, so I'm not sure why they are now estimating over a week to deliver...  I could have just gone and picked them up this afternoon if I had known...  Was looking forward to having some time this weekend to run some quick A/B and rack-up some burn-in before the holiday prep madness got into full overdrive.  (I insanely offered to hold Christmas dinner at our house this year.)

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #824 of 3,924
In a balanced setup, one cable would carry the audio signal and the other cable would carry an inverted copy. Neither would be grounded. It is normal to use a two core cable with a separate shield and ground the shield so as to drain away any received EMI or RFI and prevent it from polluting the audio signals.

In a single ended setup, one cable would carry the audio signal and the other would be grounded.

That shield is what I have a problem with. Where does it go in the speaker? 

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #825 of 3,924
In a balanced setup, one cable would carry the audio signal and the other cable would carry an inverted copy. Neither would be grounded. It is normal to use a two core cable with a separate shield and ground the shield so as to drain away any received EMI or RFI and prevent it from polluting the audio signals.

In a single ended setup, one cable would carry the audio signal and the other would be grounded.

That shield is what I have a problem with. Where does it go in the speaker? 

If there are any metal parts on the speaker or the baffle plate that are not part of the audio circuit, it is a good idea to ground them to reduce RFI pickup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back