New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Sep 17, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #316 of 3,924
mmm......Sennheiser ought to hire this guy to do their marketing video for the upcoming jesus 'phones! he he he......far better than the falling monolith thingie. lol! His voice is hypnotic! He is soooo good that I just sold my Toyota and bought a BMW. lmao......

Sep 18, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #318 of 3,924
So, finally they arrived here today :)

Guess I will give them about 1000 hours seconds of burn in, before I can't resist anymore...
beyersmile.png

Sep 18, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #319 of 3,924
beerchug.gif
mmm....and judging from your gear list, Beyer ought to give you their Most Loyal Customer award. Whew! So many Beyers, so little time......oh I suggest changing your handle to Beyer No. 1. lol!

Sep 19, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #322 of 3,924
The exception is the T90.

I've listened to it at a couple of occasions, with different amps, but I can't get use to it's signatur. I keep thinking that it must be an experiment, trying to see how far to the bright side consumers are willing to go.

Sep 19, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #323 of 3,924
  The exception is the T90.

I've listened to it at a couple of occasions, with different amps, but I can't get use to it's signatur. I keep thinking that it must be an experiment, trying to see how far to the bright side consumers are willing to go.

I see. I haven't heard it myself but I have tried the DT990 which has crazy treble spike. The treblespike on T90 is insane, I can't believe some people can enjoy listening to these headphones. 

Sep 19, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #324 of 3,924

I see. I haven't heard it myself but I have tried the DT990 which has crazy treble spike. The treblespike on T90 is insane, I can't believe some people can enjoy listening to these headphones. 

i cannot believe people like the HD598. It's so veiled! I happen to like the T90's quite a bit, and I think I like the Grado RS2e even more, which have different treble peaks. It's almost as if every person has different likes and dislikes and preferences. I don't quite understand why as we all have two ears, one brain, and roughly the same shape heads.

Now the T70, I have some issues with them. I'll try again at RMAF to listen to the T70 (and T1770, and T1G2, and T5 :).

The choice of amp, source, music, personal taste, and degree of hearing loss all affect headphone preference.  

Sep 19, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #325 of 3,924

i cannot believe people like the HD598. It's so veiled! I happen to like the T90's quite a bit, and I think I like the Grado RS2e even more, which have different treble peaks. It's almost as if every person has different likes and dislikes and preferences. I don't quite understand why as we all have two ears, one brain, and roughly the same shape heads.

Now the T70, I have some issues with them. I'll try again at RMAF to listen to the T70 (and T1770, and T1G2, and T5 :).

The choice of amp, source, music, personal taste, and degree of hearing loss all affect headphone preference.  

It's not that the T90 has treble peaks -- the whole upper range is one huge treble peak.   The T90 is simply the brightest headphone I've ever put on my head.  Everything sounds weird...because real life does not sound like that (if it did, life would be unbearable and I would have had to resort to suicide).  

Sep 19, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #326 of 3,924
It's not that the T90 has treble peaks -- the whole upper range is one huge treble peak.   The T90 is simply the brightest headphone I've ever put in my head.  Everything sounds weird...because real life does not sound like that (if it did, life would be unbearable and I would have had to resort to suicide).  

Most of the bright HPs sound to forced, its the same concept as boosting bass, doesnt sounds right in the end.

Sep 19, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #327 of 3,924
My T1 finally arrived! 

Heres my Beyerdynamic comparison.
First I'm not a fan of the flat cable design because it can only bend two ways Trying to bend it another way cause the cable to want to curl into a loop and this is annoying. But the sound is really good. I can't compare it to the original T1 or the HD800. But the T1 2.gen sounds better than the T70 due to a bigger sound stage, more pronounced sub bass and rounder treble. The differences between the T1 2.gen and the T90 are more subtle. Maybe the T90 has a bit more treble but the T1 is still up there! I never felt that the T90s were too harsh, they've always been very pleasant to my ears with my main genres Jazz, Classical and Fusion at safe volumes. So any harshness with the T1 2.gen are not perceivable at all to my ears.  Highly bass driven electronic music which I also like, is not offensive, but the fun factor a bit shy. Then again this type of highly processed and compressed loud music isn't really meant to be analyzed with super hi fidelity equipment.
I'm using my T1 with a Teac UD-501 DAC and HA-501 Headphone amp combo. I have the Damping Factor set to low, but I really can't hear a difference between the High and Low damping settings with the T1, unlike the T90 and T70 where there are audible differences. The T90s sound best at the mid-low point and the T70s sound best at the high-mid point.

Sep 20, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #328 of 3,924
  Has anyone dropped T1 before? I just dropped my T1.2 from 2.5ft desk on the carpet ground. Feeling  a lit bit sad, still works fine (got some paint scratch) , but don't know whether it will affect its sound quality or not? Is T1 very fragile? 

Hey, I've taken apart my T1, T90, and DT990 drivers many times. Mainly to remove small hairs and search for possible defects. You have no need to worry. The worst thing that could happen is the coil may snap (the tiny strand of wire that looks like a piece of hair connected to the soldered area where the headphone cable attaches to the drivers). If this happens, you will have no sound at all coming from that driver. The rest of the coil is secured well inside the driver, and the impact from a drop under 40ft shouldn't be enough to damage it. Beyerdynamic fixes coil snaps under warranty, but the shipping charge to the nearby repair place as well as the wait to have them returned might suck.
One issue that you may run into someday is that your bass is completely weird sounding or non-existant. You can tell when your head isn't getting smacked during electronic bass-filled music. :)
It happens when you blow too much air pressure through the inside of the headphone, resulting in the rubber "speaker" dome inverting directions or losing its shape. Most of the time it can be fixed by blowing into the outside of the headphone to flip it back to the proper direction (visually inspect first!), but sometimes you may need to take apart the driver (instructions on youtube and probably somewhere on head-fi as well) then poke it back into the right shape. When doing this you need to be careful you don't push on the coil mentioned above, as this will be running across the rubber dome.
I have no doubt that the headphones (Beyerdynamic full-size premium models) will survive at least a 30 ft drop with no audible differences in sound quality. Shame about the visual damage though.

Sep 20, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #329 of 3,924
  Hey, I've taken apart my T1, T90, and DT990 drivers many times. Mainly to remove small hairs and search for possible defects. You have no need to worry. The worst thing that could happen is the coil may snap (the tiny strand of wire that looks like a piece of hair connected to the soldered area where the headphone cable attaches to the drivers). If this happens, you will have no sound at all coming from that driver. The rest of the coil is secured well inside the driver, and the impact from a drop under 40ft shouldn't be enough to damage it. Beyerdynamic fixes coil snaps under warranty, but the shipping charge to the nearby repair place as well as the wait to have them returned might suck.
One issue that you may run into someday is that your bass is completely weird sounding or non-existant. You can tell when your head isn't getting smacked during electronic bass-filled music. :)
It happens when you blow too much air pressure through the inside of the headphone, resulting in the rubber "speaker" dome inverting directions or losing its shape. Most of the time it can be fixed by blowing into the outside of the headphone to flip it back to the proper direction (visually inspect first!), but sometimes you may need to take apart the driver (instructions on youtube and probably somewhere on head-fi as well) then poke it back into the right shape. When doing this you need to be careful you don't push on the coil mentioned above, as this will be running across the rubber dome.
I have no doubt that the headphones (Beyerdynamic full-size premium models) will survive at least a 30 ft drop with no audible differences in sound quality. Shame about the visual damage though.

WOW! Such a professional reply. Loads of information. Thanks a lot. But are you suggesting that "too much air pressure"  inside of the headphone happened quite often on Beyerdynamic heapdhones like T1? Why would cause that air pressure? Is it becuase of some certain music or improper usage or storage?

Thanks again. Pro

Sep 20, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #330 of 3,924
  WOW! Such a professional reply. Loads of information. Thanks a lot. But are you suggesting that "too much air pressure"  inside of the headphone happened quite often on Beyerdynamic heapdhones like T1? Why would cause that air pressure? Is it becuase of some certain music or improper usage or storage?

Thanks again. Pro

No, it really only happens when you're crazy enough to put a vacuum up against the side of your headphones. :p Or you're trying to get some dust, hair, or dander off the driver or ear foam and you blow on it a bit too hard. I learned the hard way with my DT990, lol. From then on, I've been taking my headphones apart to clean individual parts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back