New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Sep 15, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #286 of 3,924
If you've ever auditioned either generation T1 with the new Schiit Audio Mjolnir 2 or Gungnir Multibit, do let me know what you think. Those two are on my radar, and seem to be well received so far, from other impressions here

No idea. Just looking at the spreadsheet the Mjolnir 2 is low output impedance amp. You may want to try to build an extension cord with 100ohm output resistors in serial to try with the T1. I recalled someone in the audio-gd SA-31 thread has done that.

The T1 will sound thin (diaphragm delay a bit too fast, and not enough bass) with amps having low output impedance.

This is not my experience. The T1 only sounds thin on CDs that were made that way - mainly rock and pop CDs from the 80's.

For those who want a little more bass from the T1, I recommend the iFi Audio iDSD and iCAN. The XBASS feature works really well with the T1 and is ideal for correcting those awful 80's CDs.

Sep 15, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #288 of 3,924
I kinda agree with borrego. A high output impedance does something with the T1 that makes the bass more enjoyable. The Bottlehead Crack and Woo WA2 give it a little more ... buzz/volume (I have no better word for it). Beyerdynamic amps also do that with the T1 and it happens that they all have a high output impedance. So it seems that the T1 benefits from high output impedance. But it is not necessary to make the T1 sound right.  

Sep 15, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #289 of 3,924

Sounding thin or rich is all about relativity. It just happens my amplifier allows to change the output impedance and NFB for experiments.

Sep 15, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #291 of 3,924
The T1 does not have a linear impedance curve. That means with the 100 Ohm output impedance you got a frequence depended voltage divider. This add some bass around 100 Hz. http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicT1.pdf.
Also higher output impedance soften the sound. What is right for very fast phones and bad for slow phones.

As far as i know, beyerdynamics designs there phones exactly for this output impedance. At least they sound better on high output impedance.

The A20 has 25Vp-p (18 dB gain) like the A1 and A2. The 100 Ohm output impedance are fixed for A20 and A1, switchable (0 / 100) for A2.
Crosstalk for A20 is "only" -80 dB the A1/A2 have -89 dB.
A1/A2 are neutral and clean sounding while the A20 is a little bit warmer.

So if you want a warmer sound and not a tube, you choose the A20, if you want it more neutral you choose an A1 (there are some peaces an the market, yet) or the A2. For the A1 i have to say, that it amp exactly what he get from the DAC or other input.

The Beyer Amps have enough power to drive all there headphones.

Sep 16, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #292 of 3,924
Jack Wu got the T1 gen 2 today and he is pleased with the improvements in sound and features. We can't wait to get the 4-pin XLR cable to use with WA22. 
smily_headphones1.gif
 We both feel that the new lower retail price of $1099 makes this headphone a real bargain. We will have the new T1 and DT 1770 pro at our booth at CanJam/RMAF coming up in a couple of weeks.

Sep 16, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #294 of 3,924
The T1 does not have a linear impedance curve. That means with the 100 Ohm output impedance you got a frequence depended voltage divider. This add some bass around 100 Hz. http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicT1.pdf.
Also higher output impedance soften the sound. What is right for very fast phones and bad for slow phones.

As far as i know, beyerdynamics designs there phones exactly for this output impedance. At least they sound better on high output impedance.

The A20 has 25Vp-p (18 dB gain) like the A1 and A2. The 100 Ohm output impedance are fixed for A20 and A1, switchable (0 / 100) for A2.
Crosstalk for A20 is "only" -80 dB the A1/A2 have -89 dB.
A1/A2 are neutral and clean sounding while the A20 is a little bit warmer.

So if you want a warmer sound and not a tube, you choose the A20, if you want it more neutral you choose an A1 (there are some peaces an the market, yet) or the A2. For the A1 i have to say, that it amp exactly what he get from the DAC or other input.

The Beyer Amps have enough power to drive all there headphones.

Interesting, I should get myself an extender with 100 ohm resistance to see if the difference is audible......theory and practice don't always go together :wink:

Sep 16, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #295 of 3,924
Hey guys,
Is the cable of new t1 inherently balanced? I men that can one terminate the 3.5 mm socket and solder a 4pin xlr plug and have a fully balance 2nd gen T1?

Sep 16, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #299 of 3,924
  Shot in the dark but has anyone heard the new T1's and have or heard the AKT5p for comparison?

I'm in love with my AKT5p and really want to hear the T1 (2nd). 

You're comparing semi-open and closed, so there will likely be sound stage difference. 

You might want to read this thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/756735/astell-kern-ak-t5p-akt5p-impressions-thread

Sep 16, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #300 of 3,924

You're comparing semi-open and closed, so there will likely be sound stage difference. 

True but to the AKT5p's defense they sound more open than any other headphone I've ever heard next to the HD800 and they are closed. My LCDX's don't even come close to sounding as airy and wide as these.

As far as soundstaging goes I can understand the differences but mostly I was referring to the sound signature comparison. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back