New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Sep 13, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #271 of 3,924

Whoa that certainly is a bargain you've made there. I have only just started listening to it just now (listened to the C-2 yesterday) but my first short impression is that it's a really pleasant and smooth sound. I don't know what it is but A20 has some magic to it and does something the C-2 can't do with the T1.2 at least. But it is Beyerdynamics own amplifier after all 
wink.gif
 Maybe it's the 100 ohm output empedance? The C-2 is a beast and has way more power so it's not that which is lacking. I will do some more tests when I have the time!

Many thanks. Looking forward to your further impression. Will Stay tuned with you. 
popcorn.gif

Moreover, seems like you really like audio-gd very much. In chinese hifi forum equivalent to head-fi (http://www.erji.net/)  (I was born in Shanghai, so reading chinese is no problem for me) , it has a relativley bad reputation in  the circle, talking about He Qinghua is just an ameateur who has more bark than bite and their amp or dac is famous for ugly, bulky, stacking batteries transistor silly look.

How's the feeling with C-2? From the appearance of inside of most of their AMP, or DAC, it just stack lots of stuff, somehow do lack of aesthetics. Just don't know the real sound quality? Will you please make some comparsion with some famous AMP? 

Sep 13, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #272 of 3,924
Whoa that certainly is a bargain you've made there. I have only just started listening to it just now (listened to the C-2 yesterday) but my first short impression is that it's a really pleasant and smooth sound. I don't know what it is but A20 has some magic to it and does something the C-2 can't do with the T1.2 at least. But it is Beyerdynamics own amplifier after all :wink:  Maybe it's the 100 ohm output empedance? The C-2 is a beast and has way more power so it's not that which is lacking. I will do some more tests when I have the time!

Transparency of the amp, can be a factor playing with it, and of course hitting the right sweetspot in terms of
power.

Sep 13, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #273 of 3,924
Mann my ZMF omni should be arriving in a week or so... Now im eyeing these bad boys... The decisions are hard...

Sep 13, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #274 of 3,924
  Hey man,

Since you mentioned about Beyerdynamic A20 paris well with T1 v2, What do you think about Lehmann Rhinelander? Since they share simialr reputation and pirce. If A20 is especially good pair for the new T1, I might consider to replace the Rhinelander with the A20. 

What do you think?

I love Lehmann amps. I have two Linears. The Beyer A20 is better than Rhinelander for any impedance headphones, not just the T1.

A20 + Meridian Direct DAC + T1v2 is the killer Hi-Fi system. You'll have to spend twice as much or more to get better.

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #275 of 3,924

I love Lehmann amps. I have two Linears. The Beyer A20 is better than Rhinelander for any impedance headphones, not just the T1.

A20 + Meridian Direct DAC + T1v2 is the killer Hi-Fi system. You'll have to spend twice as much or more to get better.

Thanks for the reply, man. May I ask you one more question: Since I'm about to purchase Lehmann linear this chirstmas, is the linear better than A20? I saw some reviews saying linear is even better than Beyerdynamic A2? 

I believe that you have all of those amps, so you might really help me out.

Any help would be appreciated,
Louis

Sep 14, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #276 of 3,924
Hey HiFiGuy528, I watched your video and noticed the new Beyer T1 have tiny notches for the headband adjustment. Is that correct? Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't recall the old T1 having that. I'll also look forward to your full review!

Sep 14, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #277 of 3,924
Just want to add a note about comparsion between A20 amplifier and Lehmann Rhinelander with T1.v2. The difference is WOW! Bass is so powerful and punchy from the A20 unlike the Rhinelander, just giving me a feeling of soft, lack of strength and depth bass. Mid is quite similar silky, voice from A20 is a little more forward than Rhinelander, which I prefer, I just hate hearing voice sometimes is behind the insturments part. Treble is less sharp, harsh, more musical, Rhinelander's treble just give me a very strong digital feeling when I listen to some high pitch singing. Soundstage from A20 is significantly more wide, airy and clearer. 

Overall, Thanks to Hifiguy528 and Youth's recommendation and tips, I finally can say that myself, A20 is much better than Rhinelander for the T1 or any other high-impedenacne headphones. I guess my next stage is to compare A20 with Lehmann linear during this Christmas. I'm just very into Lehmann, hope it will surprise me again with its more advanced AMP.

Last but not the least, I'm gonna sell Rhinelander around £260, if sold, it's even more than I paid for this A20 (£245). 

Happy ending!

L3000.gif
L3000.gif
L3000.gif

Sep 14, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #278 of 3,924
Just want to add a note about comparsion between A20 amplifier and Lehmann Rhinelander with T1.v2. The difference is WOW! Bass is so powerful and punchy from the A20 unlike the Rhinelander, just giving me a feeling of soft, lack of strength and depth bass. Mid is quite similar silky, voice from A20 is a little more forward than Rhinelander, which I prefer, I just hate hearing voice sometimes is behind the insturments part. Treble is less sharp, harsh, more musical, Rhinelander's treble just give me a very strong digital feeling when I listen to some high pitch singing. Soundstage from A20 is significantly more wide, airy and clearer. 

Overall, Thanks to Hifiguy528 and Youth's recommendation and tips, I finally can say that myself, A20 is much better than Rhinelander for the T1 or any other high-impedenacne headphones. I guess my next stage is to compare A20 with Lehmann linear during this Christmas. I'm just very into Lehmann, hope it will surprise me again with its more advanced AMP.

Last but not the least, I'm gonna sell Rhinelander around £260, if sold, it's even more than I paid for this A20 (£245). 

Happy ending!

:L3000: :L3000: :L3000:
I definitely gonna buy A20 later. Gonna be awesome :D

Sep 14, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #279 of 3,924

Happy ending!

L3000.gif
L3000.gif
L3000.gif

Glad you like it!

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #281 of 3,924
Will a Meridian Explorer 2 work with a T1v2 without an amp? If I was to just use a MBP-->Meridian Explorer 2 -->T1v2 using audioquest carbon or cinnamon cables. I'm looking for a portable alternative to use the T1v2.

Aha, I can answer that question. 

I got Explorer 2, just tried few days ago. I would put it in this way: If you want to take your T1 on the go as portable headphone, then, yes, it will do the much better job than you plug into your iphone 6 directly. (iphone 6's maximum volume can push T1 into a acceptable level of volume.)

But if you want to compare something else, let's say table amplifer like Rhinelander, A20, no, the result from Merdian is worse than Rhinelander. it's just for portable use, it's a good DAC, but not a proper AMP. You do need enough power to push T1 to get better sound, especially bass and soundstage.

You might purchase the T1, but after that, you will definitely invest more to dig the most of it from one flagship headphone. Something like that there are gold under the ground, but you just dont know how deep you are going to dig until you find them all. It's just worthwhile trying, selling old equips, saving money, upgrading to new equips. I guess all audiophiles with budget limit at certain period of time feel so excited when getting through all those stages.

BTW, I feel like being cheated by Merdian, it promotes its MQA on their whole new products, but still see nothing, even no single MQA trail sample released, right now I just treat it as a casual DAC conncecting with Sennheiser Momentum 1 gen.

Hope this can help.
Louis

Sep 14, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #282 of 3,924

I got Explorer 2, just tried few days ago. I would put it in this way: If you want to take your T1 on the go as portable headphone, then, yes, it will do the much better job than you plug into your iphone 6 directly. (iphone 6's maximum volume can push T1 into a acceptable level of volume.)

But if you want to compare something else, let's say table amplifer like Rhinelander, A20, no, the result from Merdian is worse than Rhinelander. it's just for portable use, it's a good DAC, but not a proper AMP. You do need enough power to push T1 to get better sound, especially bass and soundstage.

You might purchase the T1, but after that, you will definitely invest more to dig the most of it from one flagship headphone. Something like that there are gold under the ground, but you just dont know how deep you are going to dig until you find them all. It's just worthwhile trying, selling old equips, saving money, upgrading to new equips. I guess all audiophiles with budget limit at certain period of time feel so excited when getting through all those stages.

BTW, I feel like being cheated by Merdian, it promotes its MQA on their whole new products, but still see nothing, even no single MQA trail sample released, right now I just treat it as a casual DAC conncecting with Sennheiser Momentum 1 gen.

Hope this can help.
Louis

Thanks, is there any big difference between the Meridian Explorer and the Meridian Explorer 2?

Sep 14, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #283 of 3,924

Hope this can help.
Louis

Thanks, is there any big difference between the Meridian Explorer and the Meridian Explorer 2?

Only had Explorer 1 for less than a week, then sold. Don't think I'll be able to make any comments for  that short period of own. But there are some reviews comparing two of them, and there are some definitely. (But I don't think it's too much, the only appealing thing is MQA ready.)

Sep 14, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #284 of 3,924

Does the A20 amp fit under that catagory? It sounds great with the T1 and T1.2 at least. 

I have not heard the A20 but did own an A1 Clone. My "guesstimate" is the A20 will match well with Beyer 250/600ohm headphones, but may not be good value if you want to use it to drive other low impedance headphones like Grado and Audio Technica. A20 is not powerful enough to drive planar magnetic headphones for sure.

Sep 14, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #285 of 3,924
If you've ever auditioned either generation T1 with the new Schiit Audio Mjolnir 2 or Gungnir Multibit, do let me know what you think. Those two are on my radar, and seem to be well received so far, from other impressions here

No idea. Just looking at the spreadsheet the Mjolnir 2 is low output impedance amp. You may want to try to build an extension cord with 100ohm output resistors in serial to try with the T1. I recalled someone in the audio-gd SA-31 thread has done that.

The T1 will sound thin (diaphragm delay a bit too fast, and not enough bass) with amps having low output impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back