New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Aug 30, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #121 of 3,911
I had no idea about this and did not see them at Can Jam, curses

Personally I like the original out of Hugo and I heard them out of Hugo TT and they sounded excellent

T1 is my first flagship and the classic all rounder headphone so very interesting news

Jugding by the posts on the Camjam thread it seems like many people completely skipped the Beyerdynamic booth for some reason. Or they missed it like you 
wink.gif

Aug 30, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #122 of 3,911
Hm, I'm interested in this! Beyer's engagement with the community and commitment to quality has impressed me, here, and I may make this my next headphone purchase.

Aug 31, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #123 of 3,911
I hope we get some reports in soon...I'm really considering having Jan toss in a pair when he sends back my Meier gear that is heading back to the homeland for upgrades...my fear is that I'll make the same mistake that I made with the Hifiman HE-400....go with the 400i thinking that since I love the 400 so much, the "i" would be even better...ended up being the opposite. I dont want to drop a grand on new T1s only to find I dont care for them as much as my 3-year old German beauties. 

Aug 31, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #124 of 3,911
  I hope we get some reports in soon...I'm really considering having Jan toss in a pair when he sends back my Meier gear that is heading back to the homeland for upgrades...my fear is that I'll make the same mistake that I made with the Hifiman HE-400....go with the 400i thinking that since I love the 400 so much, the "i" would be even better...ended up being the opposite. I dont want to drop a grand on new T1s only to find I dont care for them as much as my 3-year old German beauties. 

I have had Jan put me on the reservation list aldready. I really hope the T1.2 is worth it. 

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #125 of 3,911

It seems that the headband is now made of some kind of pleather. As far as I remember and from the picture above the old T1 had genuine leather. It's kind of sad that beyerdynamic decided to cut some expenses this way because the pleather on my old DT990 was horrible, it became sticky after a couple of years. 

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #126 of 3,911
http://support.beyerdynamic.com/hc/en-us/articles/203829842-What-s-the-difference-between-the-T-1-of-1-and-2-Generation-

I really doubt it is the same pleather used for the DT990 :wink:

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #127 of 3,911
  http://support.beyerdynamic.com/hc/en-us/articles/203829842-What-s-the-difference-between-the-T-1-of-1-and-2-Generation-

I really doubt it is the same pleather used for the DT990 :wink:

Well, I've heard about pleather being so great, that it's actually even better than genuine leather for many years but It was never true. I mean really never. For example I have the AKG K812 and everything about it is great but the pleather pads. They are terrible. Usually all those statements are just a way of justifying of saving a few bucks.

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #129 of 3,911
We will see if the new gen T1 pleather is better than the genuine leather they used for the first gen. However I think (or rather I hope) compared to the DT990 pleather, it will be an improvement at least.....

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #130 of 3,911

It seems that the headband is now made of some kind of pleather. As far as I remember and from the picture above the old T1 had genuine leather. It's kind of sad that beyerdynamic decided to cut some expenses this way because the pleather on my old DT990 was horrible, it became sticky after a couple of years. 

"High-grade proteil-coated leatherette headband"

Definitions of proteil:
An animal protein prepared for use as a therapeutic antigen.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what exactly that means.

Aug 31, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #131 of 3,911

We changed it to leatherette material, since we often had trouble with the genuine leather: consistency of colour and surface was an issue, but also suffering looks do to greasy skin and (salty) sweat, which would remain in stains in best case, and decomposed headbands in the worst case.

Aug 31, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #132 of 3,911
"High-grade proteil-coated leatherette headband"

Definitions of proteil:
An animal protein prepared for use as a therapeutic antigen.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what exactly that means.

It should read "protein-coated leatherette". Sorry about the typo, we will fix it.

Aug 31, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #133 of 3,911
  I noticed that the DT-1770 has Tesla 2.0 magnets. The T1 gen 2 doesn't so I presume it has the 1 Tesla as before.

Is there any significance with that?

DT 1770 Pro's Tesla 2.0 technology doesn't mean, there is 2.0 Tesla magnetic field strength in the voice-coil gap.

Aug 31, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #134 of 3,911
  Well, I've heard about pleather being so great, that it's actually even better than genuine leather for many years but It was never true. I mean really never. For example I have the AKG K812 and everything about it is great but the pleather pads. They are terrible. Usually all those statements are just a way of justifying of saving a few bucks.

You should simply try it out. I get your point completely and many people had reserves about this chnage. Having the product in hands, people love it and the majority say, it's better than before. Truth is, that we purchase this leatherette from a Japanese manufacturer, which is without any doubt the one in the industry making the absolutely best product available. It costs roughly ten (10!) times more, than standard Chinese leatherette.
But you are right: we save a few bucks on the headband, as well as with the case. At the same time we spend more bucks on the detachable cable, drivers and on the ear cushions. We believe, it's  fair giving our clients an improved product while maintaining (roughly) the price point.

Aug 31, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #135 of 3,911
  But you are right: we save a few bucks on the headband, as well as with the case. At the same time we spend more bucks on the detachable cable, drivers and on the ear cushions. We believe, it's  fair giving our clients an improved product while maintaining (roughly) the price point.

Thank you for the insights into your design decisions. It's quite remarkable to get this kind of transparency! 

Speaking of transparency, do you have a more precise estimate on when these will start to ship out? I ordered mine from beyerdynamic.com on August 19 to be shipped to the US. Thanks! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back