New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Dec 25, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #871 of 3,925

Obviously I need to amend the review somewhat. I'm sorry. I mean to say that its midrange has broad shoulders that push out. It's a very broad midrange even compared to the earlier version, and especially next to the DT880/600. 

Right up my alley-my T1.2 arrive tomorrow. Thanks.

Dec 25, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #872 of 3,925
Obviously I need to amend the review somewhat. I'm sorry. I mean to say that its midrange has broad shoulders that push out. It's a very broad midrange even compared to the earlier version, and especially next to the DT880/600. 
BTW, I thoroughly enjoyed the review.

Dec 25, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #873 of 3,925
@shigzeo enjoyed reading your review. Nice to see someone else also mention that somewhat interesting upper mid/lower treble transition region, something that held my love for the new T1.2 back a bit. Most interestingly I found it much nicer using the balanced cable (on V281 balanced vs. unbalanced on the V281 and vs. unbalanced on the A2). And I like that you bring your love for trance into your reviews... I think electronica is much undervalued, but should be accepted as ones preference just as any other musical style. If a headphone renders so called audiophile recordings, that simply do not interest me (like solo triangle... no, don't laugh, I've come across that at high end shows), perfectly but fails with stuff I enjoy... that simply does not help me.

Dec 25, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #875 of 3,925
  Is it better to get the old T1 (not the new 2nd generation) than the DT1770?

As always: that depends :wink:
I think, ignoring the fact that T1 is semi-open and DT1770 is closed, the DT1770 is overall more balanced and smoother than the original T1, which in turn wins in details and maybe soundstage.

Bass is stronger with the DT1770, but it has a slight hump in the midbass.

DT1770 has a detachable cable which the original T1 does not have, but is simple to modify for balanced operation if thats important to you.

The DT1770 comes with a smaller hardshell carrying case while the original T1 has a quite large aluminium case.

Dec 26, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #879 of 3,925

I honestly thought it meant that at some points FR dropped like a cliff, abrupt and sharp like the 90 degree curve of a shoulder. Thanks for clarifying!

Obviously, 'shouldery' was a bad word choice. I've not ammended the review, but intend on doing it soon. I'm worried though: I've been drinking. That never helps. Certainly no sudden drops or peaks. But a HUGE amount of air in the midrange and that vocal region is really really front/centre. 

Dec 26, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #880 of 3,925
  Pardon my ignorance, but what does the acronym "MOT" stand for in this context? When I googled it, over one hundred different meanings showed up? Happy Christmas!

Indeed, it is Member of Trade. It means you're a business insider and we can't post links in example.

PS Good review!

I suppose you found the Headfonia website then. thanks!

member of the trade

Thank you for the help :)

Dec 26, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #883 of 3,925
Obviously, 'shouldery' was a bad word choice. I've not ammended the review, but intend on doing it soon. I'm worried though: I've been drinking. That never helps. Certainly no sudden drops or peaks. But a HUGE amount of air in the midrange and that vocal region is really really front/centre. 

"The new design is truly bullet proof"

What part of the design is more bullet proof than the original T1???

Dec 26, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #884 of 3,925
"Of course, at normal listening levels, little to no benefit existsfor either 24-bit audio, or hi-end DAC/amp/DAPs"

I don't understand the above statement; if not at normal listening levels, then at which levels do benefits of 24-bit audio or hi end/DAC/amp/DAPS exist?

Dec 26, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #885 of 3,925
Did your T1.2 arrive yet?

Please post some impressions :)
Yup they did. I got about 90 minutes of listenng time. I never owned the original T1. Compared to my T90 I'll say this-again this is only 90 minutes of listening w/no break-in: I think they are every bit superior in defnition, soundstaging and tonal accuracy. However, given I listen to a lot of electronic chill, down tempo, lounge, dance music the T90 more than hold their own in those genres. At this point I can see myself using them (T1) for everything, especially vocal and jazz genres but will continue to favor T90 until I get more understanding of these. Very articulate but definitely not razor sharp and clinical. I think they'll find a place for my needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back