New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Oct 30, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #632 of 3,924
@SSL443 
I think the key is that other people in this thread are not sure if you are sure you've heard fault caused by headphones alone and NOT by improper working environment you are forcing on them. I can assure you that the difference is there and can decide between "yes" or "no" for particular pair of headphones to stay. For me for example if I would based my whole opinion about T1.2 only from perspective of X1S, I would probably pass them away. With S16 sometimes with the same songs I could get much better sound and my opinion about this headphones was instantly better and better. With better cable I think T1.2 has great potential. Or it looks like it for now that T1.2 does scale very well with better equipment - as every other Tesla TOTL headphones on the market.

Yes, pads are taking great part of sound signature definition in actually every Beyerdynamic headphone. I'm not talking about frequency alone, but also with position of midrange in space, the whole construction of sound. T1.1 were more closer and focused, where T1.2 are more spacious and sometimes I miss the ability to catch for example vocals so easily, that I was able to on 1.1. Still, my feeding chain is optimised mainly for midrange oriented headhpones like K240 DF so I want to scratch it from list before publishing final judgement about midrange in T1.2. With this I should be able to locate any problems or strong points with better precision.

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #633 of 3,924
  @SSL443 
I think the key is that other people in this thread are not sure if you are sure you've heard fault caused by headphones alone and NOT by improper working environment you are forcing on them. I can assure you that the difference is there and can decide between "yes" or "no" for particular pair of headphones to stay. For me for example if I would based my whole opinion about T1.2 only from perspective of X1S, I would probably pass them away. With S16 sometimes with the same songs I could get much better sound and my opinion about this headphones was instantly better and better. With better cable I think T1.2 has great potential. Or it looks like it for now that T1.2 does scale very well with better equipment - as every other Tesla TOTL headphones on the market.

Yes, pads are taking great part of sound signature definition in actually every Beyerdynamic headphone. I'm not talking about frequency alone, but also with position of midrange in space, the whole construction of sound. T1.1 were more closer and focused, where T1.2 are more spacious and sometimes I miss the ability to catch for example vocals so easily, that I was able to on 1.1. Still, my feeding chain is optimised mainly for midrange oriented headhpones like K240 DF so I want to scratch it from list before publishing final judgement about midrange in T1.2. With this I should be able to locate any problems or strong points with better precision.

I'm sure. I think I've explained how that isn't the case pretty well at this point.

As for your take on vocals; well, my impression of the gen 2 is that the response is down through the upper mids, until roughly 5kHz or so.

My general impression of the overall FR (NOT a real measurement):

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #634 of 3,924
Thanks @SSL443 I think your posts will help me keep my excitement(that everyone feels when they receive a new buy) in check. Too bad I'm not too good with words(especially when I'm asked to descrive what I feel/ hear) but I'm pretty well acquainted with the sound signature of the Paradox so I think I can compare it to them. Only have a Schiit Vali as an amp right now, to be fair.

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #635 of 3,924
  Thanks @SSL443 I think your posts will help me keep my excitement(that everyone feels when they receive a new buy) in check. Too bad I'm not too good with words(especially when I'm asked to descrive what I feel/ hear) but I'm pretty well acquainted with the sound signature of the Paradox so I think I can compare it to them. Only have a Schiit Vali as an amp right now, to be fair.

Well I hope you like the new T1. I must restate that the only thing I didn't like was the lower mid-range, everything else about the headphones sonically and physically is great. I had no problem with the vocal rendition, in fact I felt it was a strong point of the headphone.

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #636 of 3,924
@SSL443 
Thanks for your perception graph. It is quite similar for my own observations from X1S at this stage. At least in highs section. About midrange as I stated before I have to run them after burn-in from other amplifiers to catch their tonality in proper ways.

@abhinit90
Well, to be hones I've received new pair for review so I wasn't owner from the start. It is just this pair won't leave me now :). I think it is still better to hear things for your own ears. Many people prefer HD800 over K812/T1 duo for their reasons. But at the same time there is still great amount of those who prefer much more "conventional" sounding headphones like these ones. The question is which pair is more suited your very own taste. Vali is a good starting amp IMO.

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #637 of 3,924

Hi. Same me from the other forum, and I assume you are the same you. That was posted here upthread and I already asked about the midrange thing. Apparently no one else has noticed it. Because obviously I don't know what I'm talking about due to using a $75 amp. womp womp.

Considering the fact that you don't get that issue (whether in part or in full) running that amp in different configurations with different headphones, I think that there is a higher chance that you just got a bad pair. I'm saying that even while knowing that Beyerdynamic tests them. Maybe it got damaged after words, I really don't know. That's not to say that I think that it's a higher chance that you got a bad pair as supposed to all of the T1.2s being bad. Because I really am not sure about that not having tried them myself. It's just that I don't think your amp is to blame. Unless if the Fiio E10 Olympus specifically colors the sound.

Oct 30, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #638 of 3,924

Well I hope you like the new T1. I must restate that the only thing I didn't like was the lower mid-range, everything else about the headphones sonically and physically is great. I had no problem with the vocal rendition, in fact I felt it was a strong point of the headphone.

Even I hope so, I should be getting a T1 before Monday (fingers crossed) so let's see. I'm not a believer in burn in so let's see. T1 is a decent 'phone with a lot of genres and that was why I wanted to buy it. Shall be updating the thread with my impressions.
  @SSL443 
Thanks for your perception graph. It is quite similar for my own observations from X1S at this stage. At least in highs section. About midrange as I stated before I have to run them after burn-in from other amplifiers to catch their tonality in proper ways.

@abhinit90
Well, to be hones I've received new pair for review so I wasn't owner from the start. It is just this pair won't leave me now :). I think it is still better to hear things for your own ears. Many people prefer HD800 over K812/T1 duo for their reasons. But at the same time there is still great amount of those who prefer much more "conventional" sounding headphones like these ones. The question is which pair is more suited your very own taste. Vali is a good starting amp IMO.

Have an Aune T1, but I'm not very happy with it and so I got the Vali. I think the T1 is holding me back. Shall be splurging very shortly on some audio-gd amp/dac most probably the NFB-!AMP and NFB-1DAC with the balanced cable for the T1.

Oct 30, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #639 of 3,924
@abhinit90
Indeed, I've been trying T1 MKI and MKII with both T1.1 and 1.2 with the same result - not enough quality of the whole sound. Things should be much better with different tube than 6922EH, like Gold Lions for example. But still I consider Aune T1 as not so great partner for such demanding headphones and Teslas.

I am personally looking in slightly different direction: Matrix M-Stage HPA-3B with some extra OPA and for full native balanced pairing via solid core cables with Aune S16. HPA-3B is known for very good synergy with HD800 which I've auditioned before and with new T1 pointed now towards similar direction as Sennheiser, I expect ground trembling synergy. Together with balanced cable made by Audeos store, I should grab everything in my office by the end of next week. 

Oct 30, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #640 of 3,924
There's one thing that just came to my mind: The T1.2 is with me for about a month. I listened to it about three times. I just don't grab it, its not calling me like the old T1 did. Hm.

And yes, I can relate somewhat to @SSL443 claiming a bit boxy mids. Somethings just a bit weird in the midrange to me. And that was with an A2. Yes, I might get used to it by using it more often... but I'm just not compelled to do that. I would have to listen more to put my finger an what that is, but to be honest doing something like that seems like a waste of time to me. Weird, as I used the original T1 so much and had high hopes for the refreshed version. I guess I'll just cancel my sale of the old T1.

Overall I have to say I like the DT1770 better.

Oct 30, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #641 of 3,924
  @abhinit90
Indeed, I've been trying T1 MKI and MKII with both T1.1 and 1.2 with the same result - not enough quality of the whole sound. Things should be much better with different tube than 6922EH, like Gold Lions for example. But still I consider Aune T1 as not so great partner for such demanding headphones and Teslas.

I am personally looking in slightly different direction: Matrix M-Stage HPA-3B with some extra OPA and for full native balanced pairing via solid core cables with Aune S16. HPA-3B is known for very good synergy with HD800 which I've auditioned before and with new T1 pointed now towards similar direction as Sennheiser, I expect ground trembling synergy. Together with balanced cable made by Audeos store, I should grab everything in my office by the end of next week. 

I use the Red Valvo E88cc tube, which is pretty decent but still the tube feature in a T1 is gimmicky.
How much would the HPA-3B cost you?
Hell, the T1 isn't even a good match with the classic T50RP

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #642 of 3,924
@plakat
Thak you for sharing your thoughts. I am considering T1.2 as same as you do - not quite as involving via midrange out of the box as pervious one. The difference sometimes is subtle, somtimes not. But on the other hand I believe there is possibility to tame some issues little by little with proper approach. For example simple cable swapping for 4-string pure copper could bring some substance and liquidity to their sound + cleaned some treble, which is nice to hear. I'll try to get as much test gear as I can as same as 8-string custom BAL cable to push it some more this road.

I am always trying to have 2 kind of approach:
1) as much neutral sound signature coming from my gear as I can for the sake of testing purpuoses to get to know what I am actually dealing with.
2) the most successful and synergical combination I can achieve at the time of review.

Both ways are helpful to grasp what particular headphones: 
- sounds like
- can sound like

Still it is a bit early for me, but I'm suspecting that T1.2 need the same threatment I applied some time ago with HD800, which are too considered as thin sounding, distant or odd/artificial/metallic. At the same time they scale so well that some people found them as "the" end game pair for them. Never the less it is sad to hear them fall behind previous variant in few departments. 

@abhinit90
Unfortunately I doubt I'll get other tubes quickly enough to make it before T1.2 review.
Around 470 EUR but I'm very happy I'll be able to test it (and make another review) before eventually pulling the trigger. HPA-3B elevated on my shortlist for its great potential not only in terms of raw power or balance connectivity with S16, but also for swappable OPAs and supposely good synergy with Tesla-based headphones like K812 or HD800. With older T1 I wouldn't be so sure about this pairing, but now I'm even more intrigued with it, so I've asked one of my friendly audio stores for some samples. 

I also wonder how T1.2 will react for BAL signal compared against for example unbalanced one coming from better DAC (i.e. NuForce DAC-80). I guess time will tell.

Oct 30, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #645 of 3,924

@abhinit90
Unfortunately I doubt I'll get other tubes quickly enough to make it before T1.2 review.
Around 470 EUR but I'm very happy I'll be able to test it (and make another review) before eventually pulling the trigger. HPA-3B elevated on my shortlist for its great potential not only in terms of raw power or balance connectivity with S16, but also for swappable OPAs and supposely good synergy with Tesla-based headphones like K812 or HD800. With older T1 I wouldn't be so sure about this pairing, but now I'm even more intrigued with it, so I've asked one of my friendly audio stores for some samples. 

I also wonder how T1.2 will react for BAL signal compared against for example unbalanced one coming from better DAC (i.e. NuForce DAC-80). I guess time will tell.

Keep me updated. I'll do the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back