New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Oct 21, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #556 of 3,924
Obviously everyone is allowed to say how they feel and speak their mind. Its just odd to write a review on a product on two different websites and the review is not consistent with each other. That is the first red flag. Second using a $75 amp to power $1100 headphone is beyond puzzling. Just like a good pair of speakers the potential in the performance will depend how quality the amp is. Fiio might on paper have enough power to make your t1 loud but it's more then loudness but quality of amplification. Can fiio do same job as bottlehead crack or woo audio wa2? No way.

Now I think you probably want hd800 to get that accurate sound across most frequencies. Last night I listen to classical music on my hd800 and piano sounded extremely accurate.

No need to be defensive we all can learn more. Myself included.

Oct 21, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #557 of 3,924
Ah yes. I forgot about the HD800 :D

Like many T1 users, I just don't get the HD800 but each to their own. I think it depends a lot on the genres you listen to.

I've heard HE-6, LCD-2, LCD-3, LCD-X and I didn't have any revelatory moments that made me want to change from the T1.

The only headphone that so far has brought me up short is the Stax SR-009 but it was being used with a very nice DAC/Amp and the whole setup was around £5,000. Not sure I want to go there.

Then again I'm thinking about the iDSD Pro and iCAN Pro and the Stax is not too far out of that ballpark.

Oct 21, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #558 of 3,924

Then what's the problem? All I did from the beginning was tell people what I heard, and what I thought. But apparently it isn't allowed to be negative, even though my negative remarks were not even made on this forum. Someone went out of their way to find them and copy-paste them here. Christ. Now I have to deal with a bunch of hand-waving about amps and subjectivity and other nonsense because my perspective isn't in step with the popular narrative.

The T1 (gen 2) has a boxy lower mid-range. I'm not sure how that is subjective. I have no doubt that it will be revealed in measurements when someone gets around to doing some. Whether or not someone likes the way that sounds is subjective, I guess. Whatever.

I'm tired of repeating myself, so I'll just recommend that you read what i posted earlier. The problem was not the Fiio or the relative sound of the DT 880.

Perfect. Thanks.

I should just clarify that I essentially look for new impressions on the T1 Gen 2 every few days (it's not available on Amazon UK yet so I live vicariously through impressions etc), and came across it as per my normal google search sorted by last 24hours/week.

I found the two reviews confusing as on here you spoke very highly of the headphones and spoke poorly of them elsewhere but seemingly more to use the T1 G2 as a veil to rant about Beyerdynamic; which is fine by the way but I was genuinely confused over the opposing view points. The clarification is appreciated however and I understand your post here was initial impressions and your rant was after a few days.

Oct 21, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #559 of 3,924
I do not know why you keep showing frequency response graphs, since none of them show the response of the current T1.

I was wondering the same thing. A frequency-response graph of (what is presumably) the original T1, posted more than once no less, does not refute anything that you've said about the new T1 (Gen 2). A frequency-response graph of the new T1, on the other hand, would be helpful in this discussion.

Oct 21, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #560 of 3,924
I do not know why you keep showing frequency response graphs, since none of them show the response of the current T1.

I was wondering the same thing. A frequency-response graph of (what is presumably) the original T1, posted more than once no less, does not refute anything that you've said about the new T1 (Gen 2). A frequency-response graph of the new T1, on the other hand, would be helpful in this discussion.

The curve for the gen 2 isn't going to be a dramatic departure from that for the gen 1.

I inserted the graphs in order to show that the headphones I recommended were headed in the right direction according to the wishes of our piano playing friend and not just a shot in the dark.

Oct 21, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #561 of 3,924
 Guys, please avoid getting personal when posting.  
smile.gif

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #562 of 3,924
Can anyone tell me how DT990 soundstage compares with T1v2 or T1v1? And if 2nd t1 is a bit darker, does it loose a bit of soundstage of 1st version? If anyone try to put 1st T1 pads on 2nd T1? What is result? Thanks.

Oct 22, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #563 of 3,924
Can anyone tell me how DT990 soundstage compares with T1v2 or T1v1? And if 2nd t1 is a bit darker, does it loose a bit of soundstage of 1st version? If anyone try to put 1st T1 pads on 2nd T1? What is result? Thanks.

I would not call it darker by any measure.
Beyer themselves say the new pads are an important part of the changes in voicing, so changing them to the old pads will destroy at least part of these efforts. Why would you want to do that?

Oct 22, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #566 of 3,924
Mmm.....just to chime in: Although I've had the T1.2 very recently, I am genuinely impressed with the sound quality. A couple of days ago, I had a long listening session with the T1.2, the Ether C (Open) and the Hifman HE1K. Amp dac used is the excellent Aurender Flow connected to my Surface Pro 3 running Foobar. Overall, I had a hard deciding which headphones performed better (using tracks that I love listening to). The differences are much smaller than their respective price tags suggests. If I had to make a conclusion: The HE1K is still noticeably the better headphone with the Ether and T1.2 close behind. Glad I have all 3 HPs to enjoy.

Oct 22, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #567 of 3,924
Oct 23, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #569 of 3,924

What was wrong?

DOA = Dead On Arrival. Probably due to transportation. Many users unfortunately blame the manufacturer instead of such simple explanation. But this should be covered by warranty or package insurance.

Anyway, sticking to main topic, T1.2 recently got my attention. I've auditioned T1.1 and so far liked their unique, "professional" sound and very strong insight into feeding chain with more than excellent sensitivity and precision. I got feeling that this headphones can reveal more than HD800, which I've auditioned with great pleasure too. My only complains at that time were for fixed cable which is now solved at last. Sonically I've found bass to be too light for my taste and of course tiring 9 kHz peak, which make them even brighter than my DT990/600 Edition to my ears. If those issues were solved or at least smoothed, T1.2 could be still on the table and without a blink of eye compared to HD800 IMO. I've found them - especially in midrange - much better than (overly) spacious and distant sounding 800's. On the other hand I prefered HD800 over T1 in spacious electronic and ambient genres, giving at the same time strong nod for T1.1 in terms of genre flexibility. If T1.2 are (hopefully much) more polished than T1.1 in areas mentioned above, indeed it's gonna be quite a feast of sound.

BTW: does anybody already tried Matrix HPA-3B with any version of T1? I wonder how these headphones are performing with this amplifier and of course what benefits you've got via BAL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back