New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Oct 17, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #512 of 3,924
  Hanselmann, any idea when Amazon (any of the European stores) will start to sell the new version?

I don't have an idea. But if your question goes especially about availability on Amazon, you can ask our sales team under +49 7131 617-444 on Monday or write an email to consumerproducts@beyerdynamic.de.

Oct 17, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #513 of 3,924
Is Ether C really that better than DT1770?

Depends on how you define "that better". The ether c sounds better enough for me, and is enough more comfortable, and I have no problem affording the cost, that getting the ether was worth it to me. There is a law of diminishing returns to audio equipment. I value comfort about 50% when I get headphones, which is one reason I like beyerdynamic so much. To me, they are extremely comfortable. That said, the 1770 is a studio can, so the clamping force is a little higher than I would like. Since everyone's head and ears are different, there is no definitive way to define "better" for headphones; only what you like better. Even worse, that may change over time, or even day to day!

Oct 17, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #514 of 3,924

I don't have an idea. But if your question goes especially about availability on Amazon, you can ask our sales team under +49 7131 617-444 on Monday or write an email to consumerproducts@beyerdynamic.de.

Ok I'll do that. The only reason I ask is because I have an Amazon gift voucher I could potentially make use of.

Oct 18, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #515 of 3,924
Well, I've received my T1.2 last Thursday and have been spending as much time as possible listening.

Coming from the DT 880 Pro, these are a clear upgrade and very enjoyable to listen to. The upper mid-range is particularly beautiful in how it renders vocals. And I'm really liking the increased bass impact and extension. I could go on, but I don't think it's any mystery that the T1 is superior to the DT 880. One other thing that does bear mentioning is how comfortable these cans are. The new ear pads are a huge improvement over the stock DT 880 pads.

However, things aren't quite perfect, at least to my ears. I've noticed that the mids sound a little bloated or boxy around 250-500Hz, especially on piano music with a lot of activity in that range. A good example would be the middle section of Chopin's Etude Op. 25 No. 5.

I did a couple experiments, the simplest being to apply -3dB of EQ at 500Hz. Pretty much took care of the problem. The other was swapping in my DT 880 pads. This cut the apparent mid-range boost but also killed the bass and lost some treble smoothness, so not really a viable solution.

I'd like to know if anyone else here as noticed this aspect of the frequency response on their T1.2. Maybe hanselmann can comment as to whether this sounds normal?

The big caveat here is that I am only currently running from a Fiio E10. Yeah, I know, I'm pairing a $1k+ flagship headphone with a $75 entry-level amp+DAC. The horror. I do intend to upgrade significantly before too long. Is what I'm hearing in the mid-range just an indication that I need to get a better source sooner rather than later?

Oct 19, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #516 of 3,924
You might check out the Beyerdynamic A20. I got one used, but in like new condition for $350 on Amazon. Bottle head crack also seems to popular, if you are in to DIY. I have tried my T1.2 with other amps that were not designed for 600 ohm cans, but the results were not as good.

Oct 19, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #517 of 3,924
  You might check out the Beyerdynamic A20. I got one used, but in like new condition for $350 on Amazon. Bottle head crack also seems to popular, if you are in to DIY. I have tried my T1.2 with other amps that were not designed for 600 ohm cans, but the results were not as good.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep that in mind. But do you think that will help specifically with the issue I've described (lower mid-range)?

Oct 19, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #518 of 3,924
For my self, I find guitar, lower mid piano and many vocals satisfining with the T1 - A20 combination.I have a Headroom  Micro Amp that I have tried with the T1. The results for were much less impressive. My AKG K701, on the other hand, sound very good with that amp.

Oct 19, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #519 of 3,924
  For my self, I find guitar, lower mid piano and many vocals satisfining with the T1 - A20 combination.I have a Headroom  Micro Amp that I have tried with the T1. The results for were much less impressive. My AKG K701, on the other hand, sound very good with that amp.

So you aren't hearing what I'm hearing, then. I guess that must mean that it's either an issue with my source or my particular pair of T1s. I'm going to say it isn't my ears since I haven't noticed this with the DT 880, and I am very familiar with what a piano should sound like.

Anyway, thanks for the input, it helps.

Oct 19, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #521 of 3,924
I can confirm that the A20 is a really good match for T1 and it is particularly good with the mids. E10 is not enough do drive them so that could explain the things that you've experienced. 

Oct 19, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #522 of 3,924

So you aren't hearing what I'm hearing, then. I guess that must mean that it's either an issue with my source or my particular pair of T1s. I'm going to say it isn't my ears since I haven't noticed this with the DT 880, and I am very familiar with what a piano should sound like.

Anyway, thanks for the input, it helps.

I don't belivee something is wrong with your T 1 (2. Generation). These headphones pass a 100% quality control incl. extensive quality assurance of electrical and acoustic properties. (Still, somebody may like or not like this headphone for sure.)

Oct 19, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #523 of 3,924

I don't belivee something is wrong with your T 1 (2. Generation). These headphones pass a 100% quality control incl. extensive quality assurance of electrical and acoustic properties. (Still, somebody may like or not like this headphone for sure.)

Hi hanselmann, thanks for the reply. I should make clear that I am very happy with my T1, aside from this one admittedly small issue (to my ears) it is truly a remarkable headphone. Which makes what I'm hearing all the more surprising.

I'll do as others have suggested and give them some more burn-in time and try to audition some proper amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back