New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Oct 15, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #496 of 3,924
mmm......taking my sweet, little time to pair my T1.2 with my headfi gear (dap/dac/amp). Loving the pair with the iBasso DX 100 (gain set to high). Woof! The "problem" with the treble is gone and the bass is much better than the T1. Really pleasurable to use this HP.....

Oct 15, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #497 of 3,924
  mmm......pricing it sensibly is quite understandable since the T1.2, per my understanding, is not a new headphone but an old one with new tuning. It is like a favorite song that's been remastered to sound better. For Beyer to price it higher than the T1 would be inexcusible since Beyer has, in all likelihood, recouped their investment in developing the T1 a long time ago.

BTT, I'm very happy with the T1.2 but I need to recable it to a shorter length. Any reco? Nothing too expensive.

There will be a 1.40 m aftermarket cable available in approx. 1 month. Exactly same quality like the one you own, but shorter and plugged-on adapter instead of screwed-on.

Oct 15, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #499 of 3,924

There will be a 1.40 m aftermarket cable available in approx. 1 month. Exactly same quality like the one you own, but shorter and plugged-on adapter instead of screwed-on.

There we go. Not sure why the stock cables on all of these high end headphones have to be 500 ft long. Whats wrong with an extension!

Better yet, removable cables :wink:

Too bad the connector was a 3.5mm though. I would have liked to see mini-XLR or something locking. But it's a step in the right direction. Always been a fan of the T1's. One of these days.... Maybe the market is going to be saturated with people trying to get rid of their V1's and I might be able to snag a deal. hue hue hue.

Oct 16, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #500 of 3,924
mmm.......the solomonic solution for ALL TOTL headphones: two cables included as standard, one for desktop listening (2 meters or so) terminated with 6.3. and one for portable listening (1.2 to 1.5 meters) terminated with 3.5. Example: Oppo does it with the PM series.  While XLRs are more desirable, only a fraction of the market are into XLRs.

Thanks @hanselmann for the heads-up.

Oct 16, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #501 of 3,924
There we go. Not sure why the stock cables on all of these high end headphones have to be 500 ft long. Whats wrong with an extension!

Better yet, removable cables :wink:

Too bad the connector was a 3.5mm though. I would have liked to see mini-XLR or something locking. But it's a step in the right direction. Always been a fan of the T1's. One of these days.... Maybe the market is going to be saturated with people trying to get rid of their V1's and I might be able to snag a deal. hue hue hue.

Thanks for your thoughts.
As you know, we now do have mini XLR as a plug solution on the DT 1770 Pro but we chose 3.5 mm plugs for the T 1 (2. Generation) for a number of reasons: jacks are a no-brainer for the non-professional customer, they won't damage the headphone when not unlocked and somebody pulls hard, they are small in size and very reliable and they look elegant enough for a luxury headphone. We certainly didn't give the new T 1 a compromise solution...

Oct 16, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #502 of 3,924
As you know, we now do have mini XLR as a plug solution on the DT 1770 Pro but we chose 3.5 mm plugs for the T 1 (2. Generation) for a number of reasons: jacks are a no-brainer for the non-professional customer, they won't damage the headphone when not unlocked and somebody pulls hard, they are small in size and very reliable and they look elegant enough for a luxury headphone. We certainly didn't give the new T 1 a compromise solution...

Do you know if Beyer plans to release a 600 ohm version and at home premium version in near future ? So more comfort and at home amplification.

Any plans for dt1880 and dt1990?

Thanks.

Oct 16, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #503 of 3,924
Do you know if Beyer plans to release a 600 ohm version and at home premium version in near future ? So more comfort and at home amplification.

Any plans for dt1880 and dt1990?

Thanks.

The T 1 (2. Generation) IS a 600 Ohm home headphone with great wearing comfort, so I don't get your point?

For the rest - as always - please understand that I will not disclose our future product portfolio strategy here on Head-fi.

Oct 16, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #504 of 3,924
The T 1 (2. Generation) IS a 600 Ohm home headphone with great wearing comfort, so I don't get your point?

For the rest - as always - please understand that I will not disclose our future product portfolio strategy here on Head-fi.

If that is your point then why do you have DT880 600ohm?

My point was T1 is a $1099 headphone. DT1770 is $599. Different headphones with different price ranges.

A DT1880 could be a more refined DT880... priced between current DT880 and T1. Not everyone is rich to afford a $1099 headphone :)

Oct 16, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #505 of 3,924
If that is your point then why do you have DT880 600ohm?

My point was T1 is a $1099 headphone. DT1770 is $599. Different headphones with different price ranges.

A DT1880 could be a more refined DT880... priced between current DT880 and T1. Not everyone is rich to afford a $1099 headphone :)

Ah, you are speaking about the DT 1770 Pro. This is a professional studio headphone. Our pro users basically never ask for higher impedances. This would more be something to think about for a possible T 70 successor one day. (everybody, please carefully read the words possible and one day)

Oct 16, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #506 of 3,924
  mmm.......the solomonic solution for ALL TOTL headphones: two cables included as standard, one for desktop listening (2 meters or so) terminated with 6.3. and one for portable listening (1.2 to 1.5 meters) terminated with 3.5. Example: Oppo does it with the PM series.  While XLRs are more desirable, only a fraction of the market are into XLRs.

Thanks @hanselmann for the heads-up.

Honestly, the market is EVERYWHERE with removable cables. Some favoring 2.5mm mono and TRS. Then 3.5mm mono and TRS. Then Hirose, mini-XLR, lemo, recessed sockets, flush. The list goes on.... I really wish everyone just stuck to a single system or maybe 2 systems. That would make it so I could just make one cable for every headphone and be done! At least Beyer took the high road and used a common-ish connector. Thankful for that! Not like Sennheiser, LOL! 

My only grip with the 3.5mm socket is that is completely a friction fit system. Ie, it will get worn out and lose friction over time like many of the sockets on the portable devices we carry everyday.
However, it does look like you guys did something to maybe make the friction fit tighter? I thought I saw an O-ring on the shoulder of the jack. Maybe that solves that issue, who knows.

Oct 16, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #507 of 3,924

Yeah I'm saving up for Ether C as well. Untill then I'm gonna have to make do with DT150 
smily_headphones1.gif

Is Ether C really that better than DT1770?

Oct 17, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #509 of 3,924
  hanselmann, when beyer plans to start selling the T1v.2s earpads?

We already sell them:
http://www.beyerdynamic.de/shop/hah/spareparts/edt-t1g2.html

For availability of these earpads in your respective country, please ask your local distributor.
I don't know, which distributor has already which quantities on stock.

T 1 (2. Generation) sound can only be reached by using a T 1 (2. Generation) with this very earpads. No workarounds possible, sorry.

Please everybody understand, that I cannot give insights or ideas on how some kind of earpads will work on other types of headphones they weren't designed for.
We don't recommend this, since it will lead to results we hever intended to achieve.
Everybody can try this out, but please understand that I cannot give help or advise on this.

Oct 17, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #510 of 3,924

Honestly, the market is EVERYWHERE with removable cables. Some favoring 2.5mm mono and TRS. Then 3.5mm mono and TRS. Then Hirose, mini-XLR, lemo, recessed sockets, flush. The list goes on.... I really wish everyone just stuck to a single system or maybe 2 systems. That would make it so I could just make one cable for every headphone and be done! At least Beyer took the high road and used a common-ish connector. Thankful for that! Not like Sennheiser, LOL! 

My only grip with the 3.5mm socket is that is completely a friction fit system. Ie, it will get worn out and lose friction over time like many of the sockets on the portable devices we carry everyday.
However, it does look like you guys did something to maybe make the friction fit tighter? I thought I saw an O-ring on the shoulder of the jack. Maybe that solves that issue, who knows.

Thanks for your evalutaion of the plugs situation. We basically feel the same thing, often. Actually, there are no common stardards, since in the headphone world there are no strong standardization committees or the likes. Everybody is doing, what they believe is the best. This can be driven by product design, cost, the possibility to make "hand-soldered" solutions, super-high requirements (i.e. military solution etc.) or simply "something special" the marketing department asks for.

3.5 mm is really good, we believe. I mentionned the resons already. Future audiophile headhones from beyer with 2-sided cable will be very likely to have the same sockets.

Generally, you are right with your concerns about a friction-only solution. Actually, this is a real problem only, if the mechanical quality over longer periods of time for the components used cannot be insured. If you have great quality assureance, it can work very well without any other "helps". Still, as we know, people don't trust a pure 3.5 mm plug only solution, we added some little rims on the plugs on the headphone side and a rubber counterpart inside the headphone socket, where the plug housing snaps in and locks tightly. We could have done it without, we did it with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back