New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Dec 3, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #3,709 of 3,924
Impedance has nothing to do with the way any headphone is tuned. You can find headphones with low damping factors that are incredibly bright just like high impedance headphones can be warm.
Bumping what originally is a 600 ohm driver down to 32 ohms though can present some problems…but the new T1 drivers are not made out of the old V2 ones.
The one thing that can be irritating with these new easy to drive headphones is the fact that they go LOUD around 8 or 9 on the volumepot, in low gain to boot. Next to zero volume control.
Also if one swears by old school tube amps with high output impedance, one is going to get an even warmer sound out of an already warm signature.

Having said that, I really dig this new T1..but I also really liked the Nighthawk:)

Dec 3, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #3,710 of 3,924
Impedance has nothing to do with the way any headphone is tuned. You can find headphones with low damping factors that are incredibly bright just like high impedance headphones can be warm.
Bumping what originally is a 600 ohm driver down to 32 ohms though can present some problems…but the new T1 drivers are not made out of the old V2 ones.
The one thing that can be irritating with these new easy to drive headphones is the fact that they go LOUD around 8 or 9 on the volumepot, in low gain to boot. Next to zero volume control.
Also if one swears by old school tube amps with high output impedance, one is going to get an even warmer sound out of an already warm signature.

Having said that, I really dig this new T1..but I also really liked the Nighthawk:)
Yeah and honestly the technicalities of the 32 Ohm T1.3 drivers are superior to the 600 Ohm Gen 2 drivers. Having owned both at the same time for many months, tinkering with pads, foams, systems, etc. I noticed this. You’re getting a better driver on the new ones. The thing is they are insanely sensitive like you said, they aren’t ideal for high output impedance amps, and the stock tuning is not to everyone’s tastes.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #3,711 of 3,924
Um yeah there's bright and there's warm and there's one more - balanced. High impedance headphones way more likely to be a well balanced sound. I am not impressed by Beyerdynamic moving the flagship to a low impedance offering. They have a few high-end low impedance models already.

Dec 4, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #3,712 of 3,924
Hey fam. Any quick comparisons between the Focal Elex or it's similar brother the Clear and the Beyer T1.2. I'm considering buying a used T1 and there's a Elex in the classifieds for $500. The T1 is cheaper at $420. I usually prefer female fronted vocal music and hip-hop. I absolutely love treble for my metal music that I listen to...the T1 being described as a poormans HD800S with perfect treble led me to look at it. Thanks..

Dec 5, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #3,713 of 3,924
T1 looks like the better deal at that cost so long as they are in good condition, but you'll need an amp. The Focal set is priced pretty close to a new pair, but easier to drive. Both great headphones. If i got an elex i would probably wish i had the clear fwiw, the T1 are a flagship from a major brand and the elex are a budget offering several models removed from their totl.

Dec 18, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #3,714 of 3,924
I have a Soloist 3XP which I bought for my Audeze LCD-X. They are fairly easy to drive so the 3XP doesn't even break a sweat.

As for the T1.2, I was using my T1.2 with my Arcam rHead amp. That is a Class A amp (like the 3XP) and drives the T1.2 pretty well, given that 600-Ohms is the upper limit for the Arcam rHead. The sound is very refined and mellow, just perfect for bedtime listening.

Trying my T1.2 on the 3XP for the first time today and it's a tremendously good pairing. The 3XP has three gain settings: low, medium and high. I had to set the gain to High for the T1.2. The volume for my test listening is at 20. It is comfortably loud at that level. I could probably get away with medium gain with a small volume level increase quite easily. The T1.2 produces a very tight sound with a tremendous dynamic range. I have heard sounds in songs that I haven't heard before! The 3XP can control the T1.2 so incredibly well.

I'm using Audirvana Studio as the source. I tested with no EQ and the sound is excellent. Applying the Oratory 1990 T1.2 EQ profile to the Voxengo PrimeEQ plugin in Audirvana Studio, and the sound becomes a little more mellow and a tiny bit more distant. I prefer no EQ as it's more engaging.

I'm glad I didn't sell my T1.2. It's a forever headphone for me and an absolute bargain for the audio quality it delivers.
I second that, just got the Burson Soloist 3XP, running it in PowerAmp mode, controlling volume via UD-503. XLR connection and High gain. Soloist 3XP drives T1.2 with such ease and authority, it’s addictive. Listening to NIN-The Fragile: Deviations 1 (24/96) via Audirvana 3.5, UD-503 upconverting to DSD and my mind is lost in the music, all the detail, depth, emotions… The end-point has been reached.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #3,716 of 3,924
I second that, just got the Burson Soloist 3XP, running it in PowerAmp mode, controlling volume via UD-503. XLR connection and High gain. Soloist 3XP drives T1.2 with such ease and authority, it’s addictive. Listening to NIN-The Fragile: Deviations 1 (24/96) via Audirvana 3.5, UD-503 upconverting to DSD and my mind is lost in the music, all the detail, depth, emotions… The end-point has been reached.
I agree.
BF2 > Soloist 3xp (PowerAmp) > t1.2nd balanced.

Feb 7, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #3,719 of 3,924
I don't know if it was mentioned but If anyone is interested in updating their T1.2:
Fixing ring (part no. 916498) - 1,4€ x2
Rubber seal (part no. 916676) - 1,4€ x2

Looks much cleaner and appropriate for value. I didn't notice any sound differences because of this 0,Xmm lift of padding. On top of that opening cans, changing pads is so much better. I was quite pissed that i need to fight with oem ring and scratch plastic all the time...
I'm also considering getting T1.3 headband for more clamp force and durability/looks as well (even if mine T1.2 is still flawless) as I'm quite sure it will fit T1.2 yokes no problem. Everything Beyers doing we can assume is quite in their system :)

20220207_165554.jpg
20220207_165310.jpg
20220207_165245.jpg

Also for damping plane plastic inside i used spare OEM Beyer inserts from 1990 pads set. With black side turned to the driver, i think it works fantastic, no glue, stays in place.

20220207_172148.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back