New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Feb 25, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #2,147 of 3,924
Day 2 with the T1 gen 2... today it sounds somehow fuller and more spacious then yesterday on the same Marantz HD DAC1... Bass is definitely more defined.
I don't believe in burn-in, but man, these have gotten better!

I think anything with mechanical parts can benefit from being broken in.

Cables and pure electrical devices I am more sceptical about.

How do you find the Marantz DAC?

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #2,148 of 3,924
I think anything with mechanical parts can benefit from being broken in.

Cables and pure electrical devices I am more sceptical about.

How do you find the Marantz DAC?

You're probably right.

I like the Marantz HD DAC1. Has a sweet musical tone for a solid state amp. I'm sure there are a ton of better dacs and amps but I got it for my office to enjoy music while I work.

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #2,149 of 3,924
You should really look into the Schiit Jotunheim for further extention of your sound stage. That thing can power anything and really will get the most out of the T1s. It makes my HD800-S' sound like a completely different headphone compared to what I was using before.

I'd say the HD800-S has the best combo of imaging, soundstage and detail. Then again I use mine for gaming where all of that is essential.

I was considering the Jotunheim but I read it can be treble heavy and over bright. Do you find that with music?

Feb 25, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #2,154 of 3,924
How would you compare them overall?  I've heard the 800S has a much wider soundstage.

So the 800s has a wide and more 3D soundstage.
Comparing to 712pro it removes the vail has a flatter response with great mids impactful bass and clear singing treble.
Comparing to T1, the T1 sounds more metallic, bass is less impactful and not enveloping like the 800s. Highs are not as piercing as T1, some vocals on T1 were hard to listen to due to this hiss.
Vocals are so natural on 800s. Listening to Summertime from Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong is stunning.
Oh and the Marantz dac has no problem driving the 800s. It just sounds effortless. So you don't even notice the headphones. Just the music enveloping you.

Feb 26, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #2,156 of 3,924
So the 800s has a wide and more 3D soundstage.
Comparing to 712pro it removes the vail has a flatter response with great mids impactful bass and clear singing treble.
Comparing to T1, the T1 sounds more metallic, bass is less impactful and not enveloping like the 800s. Highs are not as piercing as T1, some vocals on T1 were hard to listen to due to this hiss.
Vocals are so natural on 800s. Listening to Summertime from Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong is stunning.
Oh and the Marantz dac has no problem driving the 800s. It just sounds effortless. So you don't even notice the headphones. Just the music enveloping you.

That's very helpful, thanks.

Could you just remind me which generation of T1 you have?

I ask this because I've never heard any 'hiss' from my g2.

Appreciate you help as I've been considering the HD for a while now, though it's much more expensive.

PS.I now see you have g2, but I'm still mystified by the 'hiss' you hear.

Feb 26, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #2,157 of 3,924

Could you just remind me which generation of T1 you have?

I ask this because I've never heard any 'hiss' from my g2.

Appreciate you help as I've been considering the HD for a while now, though it's much more expensive.

PS.I now see you have g2, but I'm still mystified by the 'hiss' you hear.

This hiss definitely exists only on select recordings. For example on Symphonica by George Michael. 24:96.

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #2,158 of 3,924
This hiss definitely exists only on select recordings. For example on Symphonica by George Michael. 24:96.

Yes I hate hiss, I'd rather have a quiet hum, if I had to chose.

A good recording shouldn't hiss at all but some of my poorly remastered ones do and some cans do pick it up more than others.

I presume it's to do with the FR of the can-same with hum.

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #2,159 of 3,924
  Yes I hate hiss, I'd rather have a quiet hum, if I had to chose.

A good recording shouldn't hiss at all but some of my poorly remastered ones do and some cans do pick it up more than others.

I presume it's to do with the FR of the can-same with hum.

Agreed, good masters should not have this, I'm talking about vocals where they sing "ssss" at a higher frequency. I think if the headphone provide extra volume at that exact frequency it makes it painful to listen to :)

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #2,160 of 3,924

I'd say the 800s is more of jack of all trades compared to T1v2.
T1 are great looking cans for sure and I love the construction, the pads, the whole built in germany thing with 5y warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back