New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Feb 24, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #2,131 of 3,927
@Kramer Did you read what amp I was using with the T1?!

All the things you say about them are what I was expecting but it just wasn't there for me.

As I say they have some plus points but I cannot give the a glowing review at all.

But I guess that is what the hobby is about and we are lucky to have such choices.

Feb 24, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #2,132 of 3,927

All the things you say about them are what I was expecting but it just wasn't there for me.

As I say they have some plus points but I cannot give the a glowing review at all.

But I guess that is what the hobby is about and we are lucky to have such choices.

I think that Kramer was more likely referring to me using the Mojo - even though lots of people say it has no problem driving all kinds of exotic stuff. 
wink.gif

I ideally want to stick with transportable gear as I want the flexibility of roaming around my gaff.

Feb 24, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #2,133 of 3,927
Ah-just he quoted me also.

I have the Mojo and it did an ok job with the T1's.

That said I wouldn't use it as the main source/amp for any top end headphone as in my opinion there are better options.

Imo can't beat an amp with a nice big power supply but I appreciate Your reasoning.

Feb 24, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #2,134 of 3,927

Yes I did.

You are/were using the A1, but just because its from Beyer does not automatically mean it will be the best match for the T1. The HDVD800 is marketed by Sennheiser to be a perfect match for the HD800 but its not. There are more capable amps for the HD800. I recently listened to the T1 on a V281 in balanced mode and holy moly the sound was superb. I'm saving up for a V281. 
While it's cliché to say, unless you've heard the T1 over X amp  you've not yet met the real McCoy. Everything the T1 does naturally well remains untouched—soundstage illumination and stage depth, speed, high resolution—but where it is traditionally weaker—bass power, body, fleshiness, saturation—gets royally kicked in the arse and up a few 
very
 obvious notches. 

Feb 24, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #2,135 of 3,927

I think that Kramer was more likely referring to me using the Mojo - even though lots of people say it has no problem driving all kinds of exotic stuff. 
wink.gif

I ideally want to stick with transportable gear as I want the flexibility of roaming around my gaff.

Nope Light Man wasn't referring to you on the Mojo bit.

" I rarely found the T1 musical or exciting nor did I find it anything special with fast dynamic music." I quoted you because of this and I mentioned in my post why I found the T1 to be a engaging headphone.

Feb 24, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #2,136 of 3,927
The way the k712 separates the instruments is really amazing. And the centre stage is spot on in the middle of my head. Feels like it's tickling your brain
smily_headphones1.gif

Wonder if the k812 maintains that or the hd800s.

Having just got the k612 I am also very curious to hear how the AKG K812 PRO compares to the T1.2 and HD800? It should also be easy to drive as is only 36 ohms?

Feb 24, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #2,137 of 3,927
Yes I did.

You are/were using the A1, but just because its from Beyer does not automatically mean it will be the best match for the T1. The HDVD800 is marketed by Sennheiser to be a perfect match for the HD800 but its not. There are more capable amps for the HD800. I recently listened to the T1 on a V281 in balanced mode and holy moly the sound was superb. I'm saving up for a V281. While it's cliché to say, unless you've heard the T1 over X amp  you've not yet met the real McCoy. Everything the T1 does naturally well remains untouched—soundstage illumination and stage depth, speed, high resolution—but where it is traditionally weaker—bass power, body, fleshiness, saturation—gets royally kicked in the arse and up a few very obvious notches. 

The A1 (and A2 for that matter) is one of the most capable SS amp's there is and pretty much universally recognised as one of the best (SS) partners for the T1.

Don't forget I also used the iCan SE which is also very capable and this too did not do it for me.

Thing is there wasn't even a hint of greatness coming from them, no suggestion a different amp would unleash the beast so to speak.

That's my take on them and I appreciate you have a different opinion of them-an opinion I wish I shared, i really do...

Feb 24, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #2,138 of 3,927
The A1 (and A2 for that matter) is one of the most capable SS amp's there is and pretty much universally recognised as one of the best (SS) partners for the T1.

Don't forget I also used the iCan SE which is also very capable and this too did not do it for me.

Thing is there wasn't even a hint of greatness coming from them, no suggestion a different amp would unleash the beast so to speak.

That's my take on them and I appreciate you have a different opinion of them-an opinion I wish I shared, i really do...

I get your point of view and I'm not saying that the A1 or A2 or iCan SE are bad amps far from it...but there is something about these high impedance cans that makes them perform better when you use them with a fully balanced big boy amp. I wish you get to listen to a V281 maybe it will change your mind. I don't own a V281...but I will be getting one, soon.

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #2,139 of 3,927
Oh trust me the A1 is big boy so to speak although I do hear a lot of good things about the V281. Haven't seen them in the uk though but may try and hunt for one.

That said I've sent the T1's back. I much prefer the Elear having spent a good amount of time with both.

Currently auditioning the Utopia's though. Lovely lovely things but not yet convinced they're worth the extra over the Elear...

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #2,141 of 3,927
Wonderful amount of information.
So it sounds like T1 needs a "better" amp. But it's unclear what amp really.

As other people said: an OTL tube amp. For example Littledot MK3 or Darkvoice 336SE. Or, as others said, Feliks Audio ELISE. Some praise this one to be a perfect pair for T1.

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #2,142 of 3,927
You guys got me thinking about tube amps.
So I fired up my main stereo amp the Grant Fidelity w30gt. It has a descent headphone amp section.
OMG here the T1 shines. Impact, soundstage everything.
712 sounds drier here for some reason.

Feb 24, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #2,143 of 3,927
Day 2 with the T1 gen 2... today it sounds somehow fuller and more spacious then yesterday on the same Marantz HD DAC1... Bass is definitely more defined.
I don't believe in burn-in, but man, these have gotten better!

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #2,145 of 3,927
You should really look into the Schiit Jotunheim for further extention of your sound stage. That thing can power anything and really will get the most out of the T1s. It makes my HD800-S' sound like a completely different headphone compared to what I was using before.

I'd say the HD800-S has the best combo of imaging, soundstage and detail. Then again I use mine for gaming where all of that is essential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back