New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Feb 3, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #2,056 of 3,924
In the early days when the HD 800 was first released there was some criticism of the treble being unbearably bright and I thought one reason the HD800S was created was to address that treble problem. 

Nowadays, nobody mentions a problem with the treble-at least not on this Thread. Is this because Sennheiser have since modified the HD800 to reduce the treble brightness or did it never really exist?   
confused.gif

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #2,057 of 3,924
  In the early days when the HD 800 was first released there was some criticism of the treble being unbearably bright and I thought one reason the HD800S was created was to address that treble problem. 

Nowadays, nobody mentions a problem with the treble-at least not on this Thread. Is this because Sennheiser have since modified the HD800 to reduce the treble brightness or did it never really exist?   
confused.gif

​IMHO the original HD800 had and still has a piercing treble. HD800S has (to my ears) a much smoother and more pleasant treble, but since both headphones remain in production people who prefer bright headphones can buy the HD800 and people who prefer a smoother sound can buy the 800S. However, some say that the 800S has less 'air' than the original 800.

I owned the original T1 and I found that too bright as well. The T1.2 is smoother and much more pleasing to my ears, so I sold my T1 and bought the T1.2. YMMV, as always. 

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #2,058 of 3,924

​IMHO the original HD800 had and still has a piercing treble. HD800S has (to my ears) a much smoother and more pleasant treble, but since both headphones remain in production people who prefer bright headphones can buy the HD800 and people who prefer a smoother sound can buy the 800S. However, some say that the 800S has less 'air' than the original 800.

I owned the original T1 and I found that too bright as well. The T1.2 is smoother and much more pleasing to my ears, so I sold my T1 and bought the T1.2. YMMV, as always. 

That's very helpful-thanks.

I listen to a lot of Chamber Music and violins are already, to my ears, often excessively highlighted by 'over-enthusiastic' sound engineers so I'll stick with my T1g2, which I find just fine and won't experiment with the Senns.

I expect there isn't much of a difference between the HD800S and T1g2..

Feb 3, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #2,059 of 3,924
@thatonenoob

A friend has a Bimby+Jot and I've listened on his setup for a good amount of time. I won't say its harsh, balanced out is the way to go with the Jot. It sounds a lot smoother when it has had some run time on it and it can sound a bit "stiff" from cold but 30-45 minutes of warm up(depending on ambient temp.) is all that is needed for the jot to settle. 

Feb 3, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #2,060 of 3,924
  Can anyone compare T1 2Gen and ether flow?

I've seen lots of reviews of ether flow very positive, just wondering how it perform against t1 2gen.

I haven't listened to the ether flow but going by reviews its certainly a very capable headphone but it also costs 800$ more than the T1g2. It may be a little better but is it 800$ better...?? Going by Tyll's review I think it will be a bright headphone maybe even more than the T1G2. 

Feb 3, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #2,061 of 3,924

I had on Klangbilder 2016 (Vienna HiFi exhibition) the chance both - HD800 and HD800S - to compare.

For me the HD800 is the better choice! More (micro) detailed. 
HD800 is more similar to my AKG K812, that I love.

Feb 3, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #2,062 of 3,924
  @thatonenoob

A friend has a Bimby+Jot and I've listened on his setup for a good amount of time. I won't say its harsh, balanced out is the way to go with the Jot. It sounds a lot smoother when it has had some run time on it and it can sound a bit "stiff" from cold but 30-45 minutes of warm up(depending on ambient temp.) is all that is needed for the jot to settle. 

Interesting and thanks for sharing!  Balanced is my preferred means of operation too.  More power on tap to handle potential voltage swing due to the T1's impedance curves!

Feb 3, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #2,063 of 3,924
  I expect there isn't much of a difference between the HD800S and T1g2..

I had the opportunity to listen to both at last years' THE Show Newport - thanks to the friendly folks at Woo Audio. based on my (short) listening session I would say that these headphones sound fairly similar. To me the HD 800S had a slightly larger sound stage and the T1.2 sounded slightly more 'intimate'. One of the things that I really like about the T1.2 is that I sometimes feel like I'm in the recording studio with the artists as the music is being recorded without the headphone sounding harsh or grating.

Feb 3, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #2,064 of 3,924

I had the opportunity to listen to both at last years' THE Show Newport - thanks to the friendly folks at Woo Audio. based on my (short) listening session I would say that these headphones sound fairly similar. To me the HD 800S had a slightly larger sound stage and the T1.2 sounded slightly more 'intimate'. One of the things that I really like about the T1.2 is that I sometimes feel like I'm in the recording studio with the artists as the music is being recorded without the headphone sounding harsh or grating.

That's very helpful, thanks.

I feel the same way about the T1g2. I feel as I put them on I've just opened a door and entered a recording studio or concert hall.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #2,065 of 3,924
I have 8 head amps at present....why..dont ask...lol

The Bottlehead Crack is superlative with the T12G's....I can easily tell the differences in between recordings....its am amazing tool.

The Beatles original vs remastered are easily discerned, I am amazed at how much material is indeed ho-hum.

Get some well recorded material with this combination and its really an awesome experience.

I am itching on getting a Vahalla2 just because it has more power at 600 ohms and its still and OTL tube amp. Wondering if it would
make this simple setup any better?

Alex

Feb 6, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #2,066 of 3,924
I have a Meridian Explorer 2 (that I still have a couple weeks to return).

I just ordered the T1 V2 and will have it Wednesday.

I don't have much reference for what the T1 V2 is capable of with an appropriate amp.

I saw the one post in this thread regarding Explorer 2 and the T1 V2 but was curious if there are new experiences with that combo.

I like a USB DAC/Preamp that supports ASIO or WASAPI.

If Explorer 2 can't fully drive the T1 V2. Should I add something like the Beyerdynamic A20 amp to the Explorer 2 line out or find another USB preamp
If I need another USB DAC/Preamp what would you recommend under $500?

Thanks for any tips.

Feb 9, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #2,067 of 3,924
I have a Meridian Explorer 2 (that I still have a couple weeks to return).

I just ordered the T1 V2 and will have it Wednesday.

I don't have much reference for what the T1 V2 is capable of with an appropriate amp.

I saw the one post in this thread regarding Explorer 2 and the T1 V2 but was curious if there are new experiences with that combo.

I like a USB DAC/Preamp that supports ASIO or WASAPI.

If Explorer 2 can't fully drive the T1 V2. Should I add something like the Beyerdynamic A20 amp to the Explorer 2 line out or find another USB preamp
If I need another USB DAC/Preamp what would you recommend under $500?

Thanks for any tips

I don't have any experience with the Explorer 2, but people around here say that the Mojo can't drive the T1s effectively, and it's more powerful than the Explorer. I'm also considering the A20, and will be interested to hear how it compares.

-Mark.

Feb 9, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #2,068 of 3,924
Thanks. I have an A20 on order. Was supposed to be here today but snow storm delayed it.

I don't have much reference on how good the T1's should really be. I don't mind spending the money to get everything out of them (with in reason).

They sure are pleasant, listening all day today while working.

Feb 9, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #2,069 of 3,924
My Mojo has no problem powering and driving my T1g2.

It can go very loud and to my ears has an abundance of headroom, control, panache and finesse.

Of course there will always be better and more expensive amps but Mojo's power seems more than adequate to me.

Feb 9, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #2,070 of 3,924
  Can anyone compare T1 2Gen and ether flow?

I've seen lots of reviews of ether flow very positive, just wondering how it perform against t1 2gen.

Two of my favorite headphones.  Both so resolving, just different flavors. If you listen to both, you will have a clear favorite...but I can't predict which it will be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back