New Beyerdynamic Pro X line: DT 700 Pro X and DT 900 Pro X
Jan 20, 2022 at 2:30 AM Post #466 of 898
Z, DMS, Josh Velour, Resolve and the like from YouTube are all just youngins that have no clue about sound quality or indeed the basics behind sound reproduction…which is pretty damn important if you’re going to make a living out of reviewing hi-fi products and pretend to be of use.
As it is I only watch Resolve’s vids from time to time to check up on a frequency response. At least the data is objective and I can easily grok whether or not X headphone is worth taking a gamble on. The rest of his reviews is mostly pure audiophile nonsense which he can have for himself.

Jan 20, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #467 of 898
Z, DMS, Josh Velour, Resolve and the like from YouTube are all just youngins that have no clue about sound quality or indeed the basics behind sound reproduction…which is pretty damn important if you’re going to make a living out of reviewing hi-fi products and pretend to be of use.
As it is I only watch Resolve’s vids from time to time to check up on a frequency response. At least the data is objective and I can easily grok whether or not X headphone is worth taking a gamble on. The rest of his reviews is mostly pure audiophile nonsense which he can have for himself.
Very true, you can only judge for yourself.
I like this review though, a lot of comparisons in different scenarios.

Jan 20, 2022 at 3:47 AM Post #468 of 898
Disappointing to find out that these new superplush, deeper, more right angle constructed earpads created for and utilized by the new DT700X& DT900X, won’t be able to perform their comfortable magic on any of BeyerDynamic’s older full size headphones like the DT1990/1770, DT990/770, DT880,etc

Jan 20, 2022 at 4:31 AM Post #469 of 898
I really dig my 900.
It’s one of those rare Beyers that sound awesome without EQ or a pad swap.
If you really liked the DT1990 outside of the bright treble performance, you should probably take a closer look at these.
They’re not exactly neutral but neither are the DT1990. Speaking of the latter; if you throw a pair of analytical pads on it and furthermore can imagine the treble lowered significantly..as well as a better subbass kick..well you effectively end up with the 900✊
It’s a fun headphone that still comes along sounding fairly realistic. The bass shelf that reaches well into the low mids gives music this ‘meatiness’ that can be quite addictive with certain albums. Electronic music in particular sounds brilliant over this can👌

Jan 20, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #470 of 898
I really dig my 900.
It’s one of those rare Beyers that sound awesome without EQ or a pad swap.
If you really liked the DT1990 outside of the bright treble performance, you should probably take a closer look at these.
They’re not exactly neutral but neither are the DT1990. Speaking of the latter; if you throw a pair of analytical pads on it and furthermore can imagine the treble lowered significantly..as well as a better subbass kick..well you effectively end up with the 900✊
It’s a fun headphone that still comes along sounding fairly realistic. The bass shelf that reaches well into the low mids gives music this ‘meatiness’ that can be quite addictive with certain albums. Electronic music in particular sounds brilliant over this can👌
Yea, the bass even w/o EQ is really nice. But I'm a slight sub bass head (<100hz) and I love to feel it, especially with metal in songs like "Ball Tongue" (Korn) or "Red Room" (Loathe), so I "need" that 3+4 db shelf.

Jan 20, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #471 of 898
We all hear so differently. I feel the bass plenty with the stock tuning and feel it is just the right amount of extra heft in order to outweigh the sparkle up top.
In the end though this is very much down to what one is used to. Having gotten accustomed to the more neutral bass deliveries of the Sundara, HD600/580 and various AKGs, it’s very obvious and LOUD when I try on headphones with more bass - even something like a 900X, which to many probably sounds like a very even-handed and neutral can. Especially if folks are more used to closedbacks where a bass heavy tuning is the norm.
I can dig it though. I have a buddy who swears by the Nighthawk, and recently the new T1 after I’d recommended it to him. He loves his bass..but also wants something approaching mids and overall clarity.
It’s all about tastebuds though. There’s really no right or wrong with regards to tunings. I just like neutral because it sounds natural to me:)

Edith: The longer I listen to the 900 the more natural it sounds…which is normal for every headphone though. The extra heft down low is more like 650 levels of bass and low mids, but over the Beyer it reaches all the way down into the subbass without breaking a sweat. What I earlier thought sounded a little ‘boomy’ was probably, yet again, me acclimatising to the more closed nature of this headphone. To be fair, I was coming straight from the Sundara which is about as open as a headphone gets. Just goes to show what a few minutes of ‘brain warm-up’ does to this listener:)

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #472 of 898
I bought the Sundaras for gaming, and strictly for gaming, but that's all they're alright with. I play a game called Squad where I listen to 8 voices at the same time and need to listen to the direction of gunshots, vehicle noises (identify specific vehicle types by engine) at the same time. So that's where the Sundaras came in.

But the Sundaras are too heavy as a daily driver, and they're a little too lean for me.

As for music the Sundaras were actually quite a disappointment, they're too lean, not enough bass to groove with, a treble end that's a little too harsh, and the mids are peaky without rising in the right places. My favorite overall headgear so far is the Sony WF1000XM4, the Sennheiser HD600 as a close second. When it comes to detail retrieval, I believe a natural frequency response is the best way, as I can pick and choose what I want to listen to. Sundaras just tried to shove detail into my ears, accompany that with the harsh lower treble peak that didn't sit right with me, it's not very enjoyable to listen to for music. I much prefer Sennheiser HD600's way of presenting music; smooth, and detailed when it counts.

Oh wait sorry, forgot this was the DT900 Pro X thread.

I'm hoping the DT 900 Pro X will be my savior, I have a pair of them coming in tomorrow. The treble reduction is what I've been waiting for out of a Beyerdynamic. The treble peak seems to align with my 9 year old, Audio Technica A900X, so I have a feeling I'll be relatively enjoying the DT 900 Pro X almost the same amount. I also intend to buy 2 extra sets of earpads for the DT 900 Pro X. I'm not going to lie, the whole covid thing made me rethink about personal hygiene when it comes to headphones. Recently I've been hand-washing my Sundara and HD600 earpads once a month, putting them next to a USB fan overnight and they'll be ready to use for the next upcoming month. So regarding that, the DT 900 earpads can be had for $27 (pre-tax/shipping) which is way better than what I paid for Sundara Earpads.

After a few months of doing my research I'll be pulling the trigger on my first Beyerdynamics to replace my Hifimans, crossing my fingers I like the DT900 Pro X's and that I don't have to return them. I'm already planning to sell my Sundaras lol.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #473 of 898
I bought the Sundaras for gaming, and strictly for gaming, but that's all they're alright with. I play a game called Squad where I listen to 8 voices at the same time and need to listen to the direction of gunshots, vehicle noises (identify specific vehicle types by engine) at the same time. So that's where the Sundaras came in.

But the Sundaras are too heavy as a daily driver, and they're a little too lean for me.

As for music the Sundaras were actually quite a disappointment, they're too lean, not enough bass to groove with, a treble end that's a little too harsh, and the mids are peaky without rising in the right places. My favorite overall headgear so far is the Sony WF1000XM4, the Sennheiser HD600 as a close second. When it comes to detail retrieval, I believe a natural frequency response is the best way, as I can pick and choose what I want to listen to. Sundaras just tried to shove detail into my ears, accompany that with the harsh lower treble peak that didn't sit right with me, it's not very enjoyable to listen to for music. I much prefer Sennheiser HD600's way of presenting music; smooth, and detailed when it counts.

I'm hoping the DT 900 Pro X will be my savior, I have a pair of them coming in tomorrow. The treble reduction is what I've been waiting for out of a Beyerdynamic. The treble peak seems to align with my 9 year old, Audio Technica A900X, so I have a feeling I'll be relatively enjoying the DT 900 Pro X almost the same amount. I also intend to buy 2 extra sets of earpads for the DT 900 Pro X. I'm not going to lie, the whole covid thing made me rethink about personal hygiene when it comes to headphones. Recently I've been hand-washing my Sundara and HD600 earpads once a month, putting them next to a USB fan overnight and they'll be ready to use for the next upcoming month. So regarding that, the DT 900 earpads can be had for $27 (pre-tax/shipping) which is way better than what I paid for Sundara Earpads.

After a few months of doing my research I'll be pulling the trigger on my first Beyerdynamics to replace my Hifimans, crossing my fingers I like the DT900 Pro X's and that I don't have to return them. I'm already planning to sell my Sundaras lol.
Lemme know how they are!

Jan 21, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #474 of 898

I didn't like the Sundara's for positional audio. The DT 900's were an improvement. I thought the HD560s were more accurate. DT 1990's were even more precise.

If I had to pick just one of those headphones as my one and only, it would be the DT 900. I preferred their comfort and build quality above the HD560s.

Jan 21, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #475 of 898
I didn't like the Sundara's for positional audio. The DT 900's were an improvement. I thought the HD560s were more accurate. DT 1990's were even more precise.

If I had to pick just one of those headphones as my one and only, it would be the DT 900. I preferred their comfort and build quality above the HD560s.

Fair, positional audio isn't my priority. I wanted a headphone that would be able to separate multiple sound sources and be able to pick them out, specifically using "instrument separation" to help me out with the search. The Sundaras were my first pick at the time.

Jan 21, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #476 of 898

Do you think you could chime in a word or two regarding instrument separation? 560s vs DT900?

Jan 21, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #477 of 898
Do you think you could chime in a word or two regarding instrument separation? 560s vs DT900?
I owned the 560s for a short time. I don't get the hype for them personally. The 900 Pro X has great separation of instruments. It has that Beyer "sound" where it fills in the gaps to have a full sound, so initially it may sound "less separated or detailed" but it's all there from my perspective.

Jan 22, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #478 of 898
These pads are comfortable for hours.
51829865753_263b1ba996_k.jpg

Jan 22, 2022 at 9:58 PM Post #480 of 898
BDY5397_2.JPG

I really wanted the DT900 Pro X to fit in my collection, but unfortunately they don't really have a place for me.

They don't have the mid presence for my music preference which centers around female vocals. The lower treble region is a bit too aggressive, which is not the spotlight I want on my music. The mini xlr cable sticks into my shoulder when I use my Staples Hyken chair that perfectly conforms to my back. Also I found that the DT900 doesn't have enough surface area for their weight. I placed them on a scale and measured 347 grams, which is a bit too heavy for their ergonomics for my type of comfort. Regarding gaming, the Sundaras perform the same as the DT900 Pro X, except the Sundaras have a taller soundstage and that's about it.

"That kinda sounds like a you issue."

If you were thinking that, you're right! The DT900 Pro X is a great headphone, unfortunately not for me and I'll be returning them. Thank you everyone again for answering my prior inquiries regarding the headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back