New Beyerdynamic Pro X line: DT 700 Pro X and DT 900 Pro X
Jan 22, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #481 of 898
BDY5397_2.JPG

I really wanted the DT900 Pro X to fit in my collection, but unfortunately they don't really have a place for me.

They don't have the mid presence for my music preference which centers around female vocals. The lower treble region is a bit too aggressive, which is not the spotlight I want on my music. The mini xlr cable sticks into my shoulder when I use my Staples Hyken chair that perfectly conforms to my back. Also I found that the DT900 doesn't have enough surface area for their weight. I placed them on a scale and measured 347 grams, which is a bit too heavy for their ergonomics for my type of comfort. Regarding gaming, the Sundaras perform the same as the DT900 Pro X, except the Sundaras have a taller soundstage and that's about it.

"That kinda sounds like a you issue."

If you were thinking that, you're right! The DT900 Pro X is a great headphone, unfortunately not for me and I'll be returning them. Thank you everyone again for answering my prior inquiries regarding the headphone.
I personally like the 900 Pro X vs my HD600, simply because while the HD600 does so much right, the 900 Pro X (with some eq but not required) does metal so well. And since I only listen to metal, it just does it for me. But I'm glad you have a spot for the other headphones! We're all so different with our preferences.

Jan 25, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #482 of 898
I sent them back today. I enjoyed the sound, but the comfort a bit less. If I didn't know better I'd be happy with them but unfortunately I have heard better and ones with less clamping issues but YMMV.

Perhaps I'll try them again in the future.
That future is tomorrow! I'm giving them another chance. They had some things going for them I'd like to own again. Hopefully my memory isn't too clouded by the toy buying syndrome.

Jan 25, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #483 of 898
Well this was interesting. I was certain that it wouldn't work due to the different mounting bracket. Can anyone confirm this? I don't own a pair of 770 pads nor do I think I want to spend $40 to find out!
Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 4.07.22 PM.png

Jan 26, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #484 of 898
Well this was interesting. I was certain that it wouldn't work due to the different mounting bracket. Can anyone confirm this? I don't own a pair of 770 pads nor do I think I want to spend $40 to find out!
DSC_0751.JPG

Never.
There's no flange or bracket on the DT700PRO X which accept EDT770 earpads' vinyl brim.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #485 of 898
DSC_0751.JPG
Never.
There's no frange or bracket on the DT700PRO X which accept EDT770 earpads' vinyl brim.
I don’t have mine on hand, so I can’t check… but maybe one could take the mounting plate from the new pads and mount the DT770 pads on those?

Jan 26, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #486 of 898
That future is tomorrow! I'm giving them another chance. They had some things going for them I'd like to own again. Hopefully my memory isn't too clouded by the toy buying syndrome.
Weird. I just unpacked this brand new pair and their comfort is already so much better then what I remembered.
I think it's good to have them back.

How is the DT 900 compared to, let's say a Focal Elex/Clear?

Jan 26, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #487 of 898
I don’t have mine on hand, so I can’t check… but maybe one could take the mounting plate from the new pads and mount the DT770 pads on those?
Possibly.
But plz remember the diameter of the plastic ring of the 700PRO X is smaller than the diameter of DT770's flange by approx 5-6mm.
I don't feel like tearing my 700PRO X earpads to take out plastic rings yet so I'm not really sure it would perfectly fit or not.

Jan 27, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #488 of 898
IMG_2701.jpeg

Quick and dirty thoughts

Spotify Premium on Mac > iFi ZEN DAC Signature > Gustard H10

I’ve been spending most of my time with the Sundara 2020 and a KISS-modded HD 650 of late. On a whim, I decided to head down to the store to audition the DT 900 Pro X, very much not expecting much at all. After all, my favourite Beyers and the only ones I still own are the DT 150 (fitted with DT 100 velour pads).

I’ve owned the DT 770 in both 80 and 250 ohm flavours, DT 990 600 ohm, DT 1770, and T5p G2. To my mind, the DT 150 are the only Beyers I’ve owned that have both tone and tonality nailed. This was true until I heard the DT 900.

Within the first 15 minutes of my audition, I was sold. These sound nothing at all like typical Beyers, and more akin to a Beyer that has received the Sennheiser treatment, in the best possible way.

Yes, they don’t quite have the staging of their predecessors, but even as an avowed stagehead, what they concede in spatiality, they more than make up for with their near-faultless tuning and tone. Clean, natural, balanced, realistic.

They marry the precision and clean, pristine quality of the classic Beyers together with the rich, organic, full-bodied tonality of the Sennheiser HD6xx series. They tilt towards neither the warm/dark/lush/syrupy end of the spectrum, nor cool/lean/dry/analytical. At the risk of veering into hyperbole, these come as close to a veritable Goldilocks tonally to my ears.

There’s no peaky, metallic, ear-shearing treble to be found here. No cold, steely mids. Mids have proper body and presence. Bass is robust and vigorous with plenty of heft and weight and excellent control and extension.

Technically, they compete closer to the Sundara in terms of clarity and resolve, and easily outperform the HD 650 in just about every metric I care for. While they lack the Sundara’s speed and vast, open stage, they bring forth all the qualities I’ve missed in a good dynamic headphone: punch, slam, body, richness, and rhythm.

All this to say: these deserve serious attention, and I’m surprised that more praise hasn’t been heaped upon them.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 4:32 AM Post #489 of 898
All this to say: these deserve serious attention, and I’m surprised that more praise hasn’t been heaped upon them.

I've thought about this too, my guess is the position they're in. People looking for headphones see these, and they ask themselves mm I can either get these, or get the DT990's which are half the price and have 15k stellar reviews on amazon. I feel like where the DT1990 and DT1770 are clearly positioned as a higher end entry, it's not as clear with the 900's and 700's. What are they? They 'appear', or seem marketed as, DT770 and DT990 level. The way they look and are built, but also their price tag is not far enough removed to really feel like you're buying something premium in comparison, and the only immediately obvious added value is the removable cable.

At least that's what I'm figuring. I don't necessarily agree with those things, for instance imo even the DT770, 880 and 990 are premium headphones in sound and build (I've owned or still own all of them). Just trying to figure out the issue of general perception these headphones are faced with, cause I do think there is something interesting going on there. It's also a question I'm personally stuck with though. I own the DT770's, it's not obvious to me that I want or need the 700's.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #490 of 898
I've thought about this too, my guess is the position they're in. People looking for headphones see these, and they ask themselves mm I can either get these, or get the DT990's which are half the price and have 15k stellar reviews on amazon. I feel like where the DT1990 and DT1770 are clearly positioned as a higher end entry, it's not as clear with the 900's and 700's. What are they? They 'appear', or seem marketed as, DT770 and DT990 level. The way they look and are built, but also their price tag is not far enough removed to really feel like you're buying something premium in comparison, and the only immediately obvious added value is the removable cable.

At least that's what I'm figuring. I don't necessarily agree with those things, for instance imo even the DT770, 880 and 990 are premium headphones in sound and build (I've owned or still own all of them). Just trying to figure out the issue of general perception these headphones are faced with, cause I do think there is something interesting going on there. It's also a question I'm personally stuck with though. I own the DT770's, it's not obvious to me that I want or need the 700's.
I think it has more to do with the reviewers who are saying that they're not much different from DT 770, DT 880, and DT 990.

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #491 of 898
I think it has more to do with the reviewers who are saying that they're not much different from DT 770, DT 880, and DT 990.
Which does not help me trust such reviewers... the DT700 is quite different from the DT770, both in its sound signature and its build.

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #492 of 898
Well, if I may, in this video, starting here: you can hear the differences, at least with the 770/32ohm
To me, they're not huge, but are however significant, and I'd say they lean in favour of the Dt 700 X.
I wish the guy had chosen less garbage tracks, but it's all there.
One can find a 77/32 at Beyer's (B-stock) for 110 euro. Are the extra 140 euros for the DT 700 worth those differences? I'd say only if money's not a real issue for you.

Jan 30, 2022 at 3:17 AM Post #493 of 898
Is the cable that runs into the left headphone specific to these headphones? I'm wondering if it can be replaced for one with a smaller plug as the current one is so large it can literally restrict my head movements when wearing these.

Jan 30, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #494 of 898
Is the cable that runs into the left headphone specific to these headphones? I'm wondering if it can be replaced for one with a smaller plug as the current one is so large it can literally restrict my head movements when wearing these.
It’s a common XLR connector that is also frequently used by AKG. I am currently using my old K702 cable for the 900:)

Jan 30, 2022 at 4:24 AM Post #495 of 898
Just look for mini-XLR cables, most should work since they use the same pin assignment as AKG as @Kammerat Rebekka mentioned.
Should also be rather easy to make one yourself, those connectors are readily available and are not too hard to work with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back