New Beyerdynamic Pro X line: DT 700 Pro X and DT 900 Pro X
Jan 15, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #451 of 898
It may have made me sell a pair of Verite Closed... I came to the realisation that diminishing returns hits hard in this hobby, and I figured the money could be better spent elsewhere :p
I also sold my VCs because of both the Sundara and the 700 Pro X. I also sold Z1R, Denon LA7000, HE6SE, 6XX, and T5P 2nd Gen for this same reason. Granted, I am running them on a $5000 iFi system with a Lokius which sounds bizarre but do they ever sound amazing!

Jan 15, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #452 of 898
I also sold my VCs because of both the Sundara and the 700 Pro X. I also sold Z1R, Denon LA7000, HE6SE, 6XX, and T5P 2nd Gen for this same reason. Granted, I am running them on a $5000 iFi system with a Lokius which sounds bizarre but do they ever sound amazing!
Understandable. I sold my Ether 2 for my HD600. I do have a 900 Pro X coming in tomorrow so I'll see how that compares to the HD600. I'll post first impressions on it.

Jan 15, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #455 of 898
You actually sold your Verite Closed because of the DT 700 Pro X? I know diminishing returns hit hard but are they really that similar to your ears?
Nah not similar, but then again I didn't mesh with the default tonality of the VC. I was pushing a large amount of EQ to bring them back to a more Harmanish signature. So the DT700 Pro X by default sit closer to that, and cost like <10% of the VC lol.
In terms of technical performance, yes the VC had more detail, and a broader soundstage. However those are both things I don't really target either, especially in closed backs. I got the HD560s just to cover off soundstage if I wanted it.

Jan 16, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #456 of 898
First few hours, of all the headphones I've owned, metal has never sounded so "right" to me. The HD600 sounded really nice for metal but I'll be damned if I don't say that the 900 Pro X (albeit with some EQ) makes metal shine. I really am liking it, more than my HD600, HI-X65, 660s, Ether 2, and the 1990 Pro. It does have a slighlty more recessed midrange and maybe that is resulting in the larger soundstage, but I don't feel it's lacking detail as Resolve or DMS claim.

Jan 16, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #457 of 898
First few hours, of all the headphones I've owned, metal has never sounded so "right" to me. The HD600 sounded really nice for metal but I'll be damned if I don't say that the 900 Pro X (albeit with some EQ) makes metal shine. I really am liking it, more than my HD600, HI-X65, 660s, Ether 2, and the 1990 Pro. It does have a slighlty more recessed midrange and maybe that is resulting in the larger soundstage, but I don't feel it's lacking detail as Resolve or DMS claim.
Yeah I don't notice the 'damped' sound signature unless I am rapidly cycling between the HD560s and the DT700 Pro X. I think it's kind of there, however I'm going to pin that on the elevated bright FR of the HD560s more then something really lacking on these.

Jan 16, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #458 of 898
The main reason why i want to replace my DT770(250) with a DT700 Pro x is because of the detachable cable and the fact that i can use any straight cable at different leangths instead of being tethered to a 10ft coil cable, and i prefer the sleeker modern design. Plus I hear the sub bass is better, and the treble isn't as harsh. Do you guys think the Audeze Penrose 2.4ghz wireless gaming head'set' would stand a chance against these with a DAC once EQ settings are dialed in? probably a stupid question, since we're comparing wired to wireless that are basically in the same price range.

I'm yerning for the day when a 2.4ghz wireless set of headphones can match something like a DT700 Pro X even if that means i have to drop twice the amount of the penrose.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 7:05 AM Post #459 of 898
Yeah I don't notice the 'damped' sound signature unless I am rapidly cycling between the HD560s and the DT700 Pro X. I think it's kind of there, however I'm going to pin that on the elevated bright FR of the HD560s more then something really lacking on these.
It is less bright than the X65, which to me resulted in me initially thinking it was "veiled" or less detailed, but I don't think that's the case for me personally. I use headphones to listen to my music and gaming and these headphones do it quite well. (900 Pro X)

Jan 17, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #460 of 898
Only thing about the 900 that I’m not wild about is the closed nature of it. Then again this is something I get from a lot of other modern supposedly ‘openback headphones’…but they’re not really that. The Auteur, Verité, TH909, K245, X65 or any version of the Aeon Flow Open - all headphones advertised as open headphones, but they’re semi-open, at best. All in order to achieve subbass extension or in the case of the Aeon, create a boosted bass which is next to impossible to get out of a planar in an open design.
….which is why I’ve been listening a lot to my Sennheisers and Sundara over the 900. I am just an openback kind of guy I guess.
Cue road workers and big machinery in the distance, and suddenly the 900 is my best friend.
It’s not enough noise to warrant a closedback headphone but it ruins my Sennie experience…and the 900 blocks out just the right amount of the outside world, whilst sounding better than any closedback, that it is the ‘perfect headphone’ for the moment👌
Also sounds awesome for a semi-open headphone and can compete with any ZMF that I’ve heard. I do understand substituting the Verité C with the 700 like a previous poster did, as the Beyer brings up the mids and effectively sounds more realistic. I also understand the folks who dig it the other way around though.

Edith: Two thirds into Paul Simon’s Graceland and I’m totally smitten with this headphone. Hah.
What it may lack in openness it reels back via a bass and deep bass that simply is delicious. It may not be as neutral and detailed as my Sundara, but damn it brings a punch to the proceedings that really is quite addictive.
It kinda reminds me of a less warm take on the K245 - which is the only other semi-open headphone I’ve ever heard this type of bass performance in.
I’m thinking it’s time for some old school IDM albums of mine starting off with one of my faves in Plaid’s Double Figure:)

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #461 of 898
20220117_082248.jpg

Over the course of my audiophile time, I've sought something that surpasses the HD600 in terms of "general usability" from my perspective and my own tailored needs. I've cycled through a decent number of headphones, from "lower end" to the "TOTL". Yet none have quite done it, until recently with the DT 900 Pro X. I actually thought it would not be up to par and just not as good vs the HD600 based on impressions/reviews of others, nonetheless I gave them a shot, and I am so glad I did, with that in mind, let's get to the review.

A preface: I believe all SS amps sound the same and dacs have little if anything to do to the characteristics of sound. You can tell me all you want about how your $500+ dac and amp influenced the sound but I'd be skeptical from my own personal experience. The testing was done on my trusty Fiio K5 Pro and using Peace GUI EQ. Most of the review consists of the sound EQ'd but I will have a seperate section w/o EQ. I will leave my EQ at the bottom of this for the curious. so, let's jump in.

Music genres I listen to: Metal and it's various sub-genres. Bands specifically: Gojira, Korn, Avenged Sevenfold, Slipknot, Mastodon, Tool, Etc.

Comfort: Superb. I love the way this fits my dome. My head is a bit on the smaller side and this has that lovely high clamp and super soft velour pads that I love. Weight is something close to 350g (~70g more than the HD600 I believe) and it is more noticeable vs the HD600 but it's a non-issue for me and my weightlifting antics. If you can handle the HD600, you can handle the DT 900 Pro X. (The ear cups are smaller vertically than the HD6X0 series so that could cause some problems, but to me is a non-issue like I said). This headphone also passes my headbang test, so basically me listening to "VACUITY" - Gojira and going hog-wild.

Sound: (W/O EQ): For non-bass heavy genres or people who don't like bass, it's good. The extension is certainly better than the HD600. It has a better impact and tactile feel and is generally good. Not many complaints to be fair. Mids are awesome! Lower to mid-mids are very nice and very fluent and there's no issue here either imo, again if you like the HD600's mids, you'll like these too. Just note the vocals are slightly more pushed back, but that doesn't bother me too much. Upper mids is slighty dipped vs the HD600 and I do need to EQ the 4.5k region to get it to my liking, but I do like a more forward presentation so, YMMV. Treble is great too. I like more air (>10k khz) than what is given here but it's definitely not bad. I don't notice any sibilance nor anything that makes me want to rip them off my dome. (1990 Pro, I loved you at your darkest, but I couldn't stand that brightness).
Sound: (W/ EQ) TDLR: Metal has never sounded so "alive".
Bass: I love this. I add a generous 4db shelf below 100 hz and also a 1.5-2db peak ~400 hz and damn does it just sound fun to me. I love how it adds that visceral sound that metal that just eats at your soul. It's got that energy, but is also not boomy or bloated sounded vs the EQ'd HD600. It's got more impact, control, and gut behind it than the HD600 and it's sinfully addictive.

Mids: Once that upper mid "issue" is fixed, it's great. Like an HD600 but with less "in your face" vocals. Still great. Not one thing to complain about IMO.

Treble: Not sibilant. Not under-done. It's basically fine for my ears, and I don't notice anything "off" about it. Again, I add +2 db shelf >10500 khz just because I can, but you realistically don't have to. If you wanted an ever-so slightly brighter treble than the HD600, it'll do that just fine.

Soundstage/Imaging: A little wider than the HD600, more precise imaging in gaming. Again, if you wanted an HD600 with more width and imaging, these'll serve you greatly. Gaming on the HD600 is no issue however, I never find anything lacking in gaming with the Senns.

Instrument Separation/Detail: It separates as well as the HD600 but has a more "room filling" quality. So, it may sound initially like it's worse, but I find it about the same, just the spaces are more filled in (Probably because of my "Excessive" 4db bass but ymmv). Metal never seems to get overly-convoluted or lost, it sounds like it should sound. Detail again is on par with the HD600, less than the X65, but it's not by a huge margin. Again, I think that "room filling" quality can seem to mask detail, but it's all there if you seek it. (Resolve said the 900 Pro X has less detail and I could not disagree more, I have not heard the 300R but I can't imagine it being worse or better here either, I don't think their opinions are wrong, rather is just my subjective take [Hence why it is called "subjective"]).

Conclusion/Rant: I love these cans. The 900 Pro X have shown and enlightened me that there's more to audiophilia than "neutrality" and "following the narrative". Trust your own ears and forget about anything and what anyone else says. Reviewers and others say these are less detailed and closed off (They feel closed off but it's similar to a 1990 imo) and I don't see it. These cans do it for me, and I don't think they're worse than the HD600, just different.

More-over, I think we as a community should disagree with others but not take what they say as "false". Like I said, I think Resolve and DMS are wrong about detail and what have you, but who am I? I'm merely a metalhead who weightlifts. They're the professionals and their opinions are more than warranted, but what about the average joe? Just because they're not a professional does not mean their impressions or interpretations are any less credible imo. It's their interpretation and should be respected. We should also de-stigmatize the "follow the leader" narrative (Great album by Korn btw), if a reviewer says something about a headphone (like smaller soundstage or less detail, etc) take it with a grain of salt and unless you've used the HP yourself and can agree, don't go on saying that narrative without that disclaimer. I think Resolve had posted something similar on Headphones.com but I'm unsure as of now.
Rant Over: Thanks for sticking with the review. I'll stick with these cans for a while.
Previous headphones owned: HD660s, DCA Ether 2, DT 770 & 1990, Austrian Audio X65, HE-500,
EQ: -5 db preamp
4db shelf @ 100 hz
2 db peak filter @ 400 hz Q = 1.41
4.5 db peak filter @ 4100 hz Q = 2.5
2.5 db high shelf @ 10000 hz

Jan 19, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #462 of 898
Like I said, I think Resolve and DMS are wrong about detail and what have you, but who am I? I'm merely a metalhead who weightlifts. They're the professionals and their opinions are more than warranted, but what about the average joe? Just because they're not a professional does not mean their impressions or interpretations are any less credible imo. It's their interpretation and should be respected. We should also de-stigmatize the "follow the leader" narrative (Great album by Korn btw), if a reviewer says something about a headphone (like smaller soundstage or less detail, etc) take it with a grain of salt and unless you've used the HP yourself and can agree, don't go on saying that narrative without that disclaimer. I think Resolve had posted something similar on
I don't know about Resolve, but DMS is just a youtuber who started out doing videos several years ago. So while he may have more experience listening to a variety of headphones, not sure what qualifies him as a "professional" in terms of expertise.

So don't even think you need to make that distinction between hobbyists with less experience and someone like DMS.

Jan 19, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #463 of 898
I don't know about Resolve, but DMS is just a youtuber who started out doing videos several years ago. So while he may have more experience listening to a variety of headphones, not sure what qualifies him as a "professional" in terms of expertise.

So don't even think you need to make that distinction between hobbyists with less experience and someone like DMS.
Sure, I'm just more or less saying how since they're generally looked at fondly, their word is taken as gospel to some and that gospel is spread as the leading narrative, for better or worse. When we should be skeptical and take all claims with salt. Those claims can confuse newer people into audio, like myself. (A little over a year in)

Jan 19, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #464 of 898
Thanks for the EQ mate, mine for DT700 Pro x looks quite similar, I'd say these definitely share plenty of traits apart from closed v open. The 700 just has more of a 'hole' around 250hz then the 900.

Filter: ON LS Fc 100 Hz Gain 3 dB
Filter: ON PK Fc 55 Hz Gain 2 dB Q 1
Filter: ON PK Fc 260 Hz Gain 6 dB Q 2
Filter: ON PK Fc 3500 Hz Gain 4 dB Q 2

Jan 19, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #465 of 898
After all, I think it all comes down to whether you like the sound of it or not. For instance, a headphone can measure like crap but still may be enjoyable if that's what you looking for. It's highly subjective. You just have to hear it to make your decision.
Unfortunately, not all headphones are available for us to try. For example, in Japan all Beyer's can only be bought online, and there's absolutely no way to try them unless they pop up in used stores, and to this date I have yet to come across any used 900X or 700X. In that case, we are forced to resort to reviews and measurements. And every once in a while, the reviewer's taste can be vastly different from the reader's, and that's when unfortunate event like this occurs.
And there's no easy way to prevent this. The best I can do is to do a blind purchase, and pray it to be good for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back