New Beyerdynamic amp A2
May 24, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #136 of 259
Thanks for your thoughts! The A2 is very nice but I’m not sure I’d have considered it today had it not been for the high output impedance. Many good amps have come out since then that are also quite a bit cheaper.

Were there any big distinctions in sound that you could make out?

It's been a while since I sold my A20, so please consider this very subjective impressions left from an experience some time ago...
I'd say the A2 is a bit more dynamic (not aggressive though), with the A20 being a bit more smooth and maybe a touch laid back, but not missing details. Honestly if buying today I'd choose the A20 out of those two, which at 1/3 or even 1/4 of the price is simply the better offer.

To me both being not the feature of the month is an advantage... There are too many amps coming out each month to even keep track of -- which I stopped trying years ago. I think Beyerdynamic has lots of experience in building electronics (given their professional equipment offerings) and did a good job at building something that holds up to the test of time.
Both amps are an excellent addition to Beyerdynamic headphones (which are tuned to the 100Ohm output impedance) as well as other high impedance models. I never wanted OTL tube amps, for they are either clean designs that work almost as good as solid state amps (but still are problematic in handling because of the tubes) or they color the sound (I just don't want that from an amp).

May 24, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #137 of 259
It's been a while since I sold my A20, so please consider this very subjective impressions left from an experience some time ago...
I'd say the A2 is a bit more dynamic (not aggressive though), with the A20 being a bit more smooth and maybe a touch laid back, but not missing details. Honestly if buying today I'd choose the A20 out of those two, which at 1/3 or even 1/4 of the price is simply the better offer.

To me both being not the feature of the month is an advantage... There are too many amps coming out each month to even keep track of -- which I stopped trying years ago. I think Beyerdynamic has lots of experience in building electronics (given their professional equipment offerings) and did a good job at building something that holds up to the test of time.
Both amps are an excellent addition to Beyerdynamic headphones (which are tuned to the 100Ohm output impedance) as well as other high impedance models. I never wanted OTL tube amps, for they are either clean designs that work almost as good as solid state amps (but still are problematic in handling because of the tubes) or they color the sound (I just don't want that from an amp).
Thanks, that’s much appreciated! I think given your description and the fact that Zach of ZMF has specifically recommended the A20 many times whereas I haven’t heard much at all about the A2 ( not to mention the price difference) makes it an easy decision between the two.

Now I have to decide whether I get the Gilmore Lite MK2 or A20 first to trial 🙂

Jan 21, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #139 of 259
Hi what is the difference between A2 and A20 in terms of sound and power ? Are these two discontinued and the best offering in terms of solid state by Beyerdynamic ?
I don’t remember if there’s much difference in output power, but the A2 can be switched from 100Ohm output impedance (same as A20) to near 0ohm. The A2 also offers 2 inputs.
Soundwise the A2 seemed a bit less warm to me, slightly more dynamic, engaging. But as with SS amps, this is just tendencies, not worlds of difference.

I sold my A20 long ago, but kept the A2

Jan 21, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #140 of 259
I don’t remember if there’s much difference in output power, but the A2 can be switched from 100Ohm output impedance (same as A20) to near 0ohm. The A2 also offers 2 inputs.
Soundwise the A2 seemed a bit less warm to me, slightly more dynamic, engaging. But as with SS amps, this is just tendencies, not worlds of difference.

I sold my A20 long ago, but kept the A2
So to you A2 is better sounding than A20 to you ? How much in diminishing returns would you gain by going from A20 to A2 ?

Is both the A20 and A2 discontinued ?

Jan 21, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #141 of 259
So to you A2 is better sounding than A20 to you ? How much in diminishing returns would you gain by going from A20 to A2 ?

Is both the A20 and A2 discontinued ?
I don’t know about their discontinuation, but that information should readily available on Beyers website.

The A20 was the much more sane choice given their large price difference. I don’t know about prices on the used market…

So… the A2 may be a bit more versatile due to its switchable output impedance. Soundwise it’s a question of your preferences. If you want the best amp Beyer produced (so far), go for the A2. It does look nicer with its transparent top and the orange glow inside.
If you want the most bang for your buck, go with the A20 I‘d say.

Jan 21, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #142 of 259
I don’t know about their discontinuation, but that information should readily available on Beyers website.

The A20 was the much more sane choice given their large price difference. I don’t know about prices on the used market…

So… the A2 may be a bit more versatile due to its switchable output impedance. Soundwise it’s a question of your preferences. If you want the best amp Beyer produced (so far), go for the A2. It does look nicer with its transparent top and the orange glow inside.
If you want the most bang for your buck, go with the A20 I‘d say.
How much in diminishing returns would you gain by going from A20 to A2 ? Like forget about looks and built quality. Just sound alone would do

Jan 21, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #143 of 259
I had the A20 a few years ago, then sold it and got an A2 several months later. I never had them together so I couldn't do a side-by-side comparison. I still have and enjoy my A2. From my memory, my initial reaction was that the A2 was cleaner and less warm than the A20. The A20 always struck me as a decent amp, with a warmer signature, but the A2 felt like a good jump above the A20 in terms of transparency, resolution, etc. Just my impressions from memory (which is not perfect!). Add the fact that it came with remote, 2 inputs, switchable impedance, and the cool built in stand... I'd say that if you can get a used one for a decent price it's a worthwhile upgrade from the A20. But, if you like the warmer signature that the A20 offers, no shame in that. I felt the A2 is more analytical in comparison. Both good amps, different flavors, would be happy to own either one. :)

Feb 26, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #147 of 259
Yes,both. Asked them in 2021
Also asked them if they gonna offer some new amps.
answer:NO

Want a german amp?
SPL, Violectric,Meyer or Lake people….

Feb 26, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #149 of 259
Yea well, cannot afford. Does not matter whether German amp or not as long its high impedance output amp.
Those other amps from SPL etc. In general do not have that 100Ohm output impedance offered by the A20 and optionally by the A2 (that one is switchable between <1 and 100).
What do you need a high output impedance amp for if I may ask? Normally they work best with high impedance headphones and headphones that were voiced using such an amp (like most older Beyerdynamic models). Otherwise a low output impedance amp is more versatile (and you could even use an inline 100Ohm resistor to similar effect).
Nevertheless both the A20 and the A2 were very nice amps. I still have my A2, although I seldom use it nowadays.

Feb 26, 2022 at 4:23 AM Post #150 of 259
Those other amps from SPL etc. In general do not have that 100Ohm output impedance offered by the A20 and optionally by the A2 (that one is switchable between <1 and 100).
What do you need a high output impedance amp for if I may ask? Normally they work best with high impedance headphones and headphones that were voiced using such an amp (like most older Beyerdynamic models). Otherwise a low output impedance amp is more versatile (and you could even use an inline 100Ohm resistor to similar effect).
Nevertheless both the A20 and the A2 were very nice amps. I still have my A2, although I seldom use it nowadays.
Hello thanks for asking. For 300-600 ohms. I have vintage 600 ohms headphone. Those other amps from SPL etc. have high impedance ouput ? I have one 16 ohms and one 32 ohms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back