NEW Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95 ANC Headphones - Reviews & Impressions
Oct 28, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #1,951 of 2,077
Please have a look at the Focal Bathys and the Mark Levinson 5909
I am a very visual person and have to say that the design of the Focals does not appeal to me at all. It will take away my desire to pick up the headphones. I know, I might have too high expectation, but with so much money for a headphone, I have to like his visual appearance as well, don't you think?
I'll give the Mark Levinson 5909 a chance, though. Thanks for your tip! Likewise, the new Dali IO-12 have spoken to me and I expect them next week....
I love the tech !! These headphones are now at a level where you can enjoy great sound anywhere !!! Unbelievable !!
I also did not think that these headphones or the path to the "almost" perfect headphones gives me so much joy and fun.
I tried both the Bose Ultra and the Quiet comfort today at the shops but in my opinion the sound was not up to standard , bearing in mind that it was just the demo set and the source may have been sub par
I would recommend you listen to the QuietComfort with the EQ settings +7 bass, +3 mids and -2 treble. Without equalizer out of the box they are nowhere near as good as the H95, but with some EQ they sound amazingly good. Of course, they don't quite match the bass power of the H95s (even when the H95s are set to "Optimal"/Neutral.

And besides, I have to say that I'm not looking for a neutral sound. I guess I have more of a mainstream taste and I like good bass and clear treble. I'm also more into the music genre of techno, pop and acoustics.

Oct 28, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #1,952 of 2,077
Have owned the H95s for almost three weeks now, running them primarily wired with the dragonfly black and apple music lossless. So far they have been quite impressive. Other phones i've owned in the price range include the focal Elear, Clear, LCD-2. At this point the H95s seem to be very engaging/resolving lwhich is not what i was expecting lolol. Went to the bang and olufson store to test out the wireless Beoplay HX. Walked out with the H95s, these titanium drivers are really something. Best headphone i've owned so far. Would really recommend with audioquest dragonfly lineup and lossless. Really resolving pair of cans!

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #1,953 of 2,077
I am a very visual person and have to say that the design of the Focals does not appeal to me at all. It will take away my desire to pick up the headphones. I know, I might have too high expectation, but with so much money for a headphone, I have to like his visual appearance as well, don't you think?
I'll give the Mark Levinson 5909 a chance, though. Thanks for your tip! Likewise, the new Dali IO-12 have spoken to me and I expect them next week....
Yes , I get what you mean and agree ,they look very “alien like” to me and not very subtle .
I made the purchase decision as they were selling them brand new at half price as the distributor lost the rights to Focal over here so they were getting rid of stock , so I didn’t mind the appearance that much, I was willing to compromise !! You can’t beat half price for this level of sound.
Still very happy with the sound signature
Yup give them a try , but have a long listen to them , as the sonic characteristics only become apparent once you understand the sound. I though they were terrible when I first listened to them .

Oct 28, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #1,955 of 2,077

I also did not think that these headphones or the path to the "almost" perfect headphones gives me so much joy and fun.

I would recommend you listen to the QuietComfort with the EQ settings +7 bass, +3 mids and -2 treble. Without equalizer out of the box they are nowhere near as good as the H95, but with some EQ they sound amazingly good. Of course, they don't quite match the bass power of the H95s (even when the H95s are set to "Optimal"/Neutral.

And besides, I have to say that I'm not looking for a neutral sound. I guess I have more of a mainstream taste and I like good bass and clear treble. I'm also more into the music genre of techno, pop and acoustics.
Ah got it , yup it seemed better suited for pop , I think the XM5’s would be good for that , I forgot do you have those and how do you think it compares against the Bose ?

Oct 29, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #1,956 of 2,077
Would really recommend with audioquest dragonfly lineup and lossless. Really resolving pair of cans!
Thanks, I bought the DragonFly Reds out of curiosity and will check this too. Do you hear a difference when plugged in into the 3.5mm headphone jack as well? I was shocked about the detail after plugin in to the headphone jack of my MacBook 2021 (M1), but so I was with bluetooth connection haha.Seems that I am now beginning to fantasize.

I did a little research and some recommend the Mojo 2 as well, but less for electronic music, because the Mojo tends to enhance more the mid frequencies. Why did you buy the DragonFlys?
You can’t beat half price for this level of sound.
Oh gosh, congratulations! For half the price I would have bought the Focals as well! I got my H95 for 550 Euros used with 5 years warranty on everything.
Ah got it , yup it seemed better suited for pop , I think the XM5’s would be good for that , I forgot do you have those and how do you think it compares against the Bose ?
I returned the XM5, so I cannot compare them anymore. But I would say the Bose QC are much better.

Oct 30, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #1,959 of 2,077
Have owned the H95s for almost three weeks now, running them primarily wired with the dragonfly black and apple music lossless. So far they have been quite impressive. Other phones i've owned in the price range include the focal Elear, Clear, LCD-2. At this point the H95s seem to be very engaging/resolving lwhich is not what i was expecting lolol. Went to the bang and olufson store to test out the wireless Beoplay HX. Walked out with the H95s, these titanium drivers are really something. Best headphone i've owned so far. Would really recommend with audioquest dragonfly lineup and lossless. Really resolving pair of cans!
It was mentioned few pages ago that wiring them through 3.5mm jack doesn't change anything because they are not passive. The analog signal is still processed (digitalized) internally no matter how "hi-res" source is and throwed out at same bitrate as it's through BT so don't waste money for fancy pre-amps. It's worthless. I was driving them wired first once I get them, but this setup just introduced me more headaches than BT. And BT is other bank of troubles for aptx Adaptive (others are fine). In this price range such missteps should not exist at all and we should not make any compromises at all! And this apply to all manufacturers, not just B&O. If we will make more compromises they will deliver more unfinished products in the future.

Nov 11, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #1,960 of 2,077
Thanks, I bought the DragonFly Reds out of curiosity and will check this too. Do you hear a difference when plugged in into the 3.5mm headphone jack as well? I was shocked about the detail after plugin in to the headphone jack of my MacBook 2021 (M1), but so I was with bluetooth connection haha.Seems that I am now beginning to fantasize.
It was mentioned few pages ago that wiring them through 3.5mm jack doesn't change anything because they are not passive. The analog signal is still processed (digitalized) internally no matter how "hi-res" source is and throwed out at same bitrate as it's through BT so don't waste money for fancy pre-amps. It's worthless. I was driving them wired first once I get them, but this setup just introduced me more headaches than BT. And BT is other bank of troubles for aptx Adaptive (others are fine). In this price range such missteps should not exist at all and we should not make any compromises at all! And this apply to all manufacturers, not just B&O. If we will make more compromises they will deliver more unfinished products in the future.
Very interesting information, experience tells a different story though. If that were actually true i dont think they could be priced as they are lol. The bluetooth sounds quite okay, details are still present and bass is thumping however soundstage suffers greatly and is closed compared to the wired + dragonfly black. A quick A/B confirms the dragonfly is the better listen with a better soundstage, a bit more transparency, a lot more controlled and very extended bass. (Very close to the OG LCD-2s which is very awesome!) and just more enjoyable dynamics overall. Can I hear a difference? Yes, emphatically. @Fabik Audioquest was very affordable, got it at half price. I am eager to try out the mojo though. Most probably better than the audioquest lineup but I get the feeling you know that already lol. the question is if that difference justifies the price because even the black is quite resolving. let us know what you find as well!

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 7:45 AM Post #1,963 of 2,077
Sold mine (locally). Now my wants for H100:

Passive, no battery needed when cable is used. No internal DAC/ AMP whatever
Balanced line in

They're good ok* for bluetooth, but using them with a DAP was painful (the line in volume was low, the quality was disturbed by the internal DAC)

*ok due to lack of a HD bluetooth codec, generally speaking

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #1,964 of 2,077
Sold mine (locally). Now my wants for H100:

Passive, no battery needed when cable is used. No internal DAC/ AMP whatever
Balanced line in

They're good ok* for bluetooth, but using them with a DAP was painful (the line in volume was low, the quality was disturbed by the internal DAC)

*ok due to lack of a HD bluetooth codec, generally speaking

The H100 has been announced ? With passive playback ?
Purely passive ?
That will not happen...

But a headphone like the H9 that could be used either active or totally passive, that would be an option to consider...

I am not a "plugged" guy. And I know that I would get empty battery all of the time.
I do not want to have to wait 30 minutes before I can start enjoying music, and even then, having 2 cables connected : one to charge one to transport music.

So I am looking for B-Stock of H9 MK 3...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back