NEW Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95 ANC Headphones - Reviews & Impressions
Nov 30, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #1,966 of 2,079
Hi guys, happy owner of h95 for a over a year now.

Well, except for the fact these aren't really very portable (materials too nice to want to get caught in the rain, ANC doesn't block out subway let alone plane)

So they have been a home headphone used mostly wired at the desk and I've been mostly very happy with them

Buuuuuut - I'm coming from previously using grado 325e at the computer and miss the open back sound immensely.

It's been a while so I need some input from h95 owners with open back experience - Putting aside the obvious differences between closed and open, would the sennheiser hd660s2 through macbook M1 high impedance 3.5mm be superior to the H95 via USB?

It seems like a straight swap cost wise.

Thanks!

Nov 30, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #1,967 of 2,079
Hi guys, happy owner of h95 for a over a year now.

Well, except for the fact these aren't really very portable (materials too nice to want to get caught in the rain, ANC doesn't block out subway let alone plane)

So they have been a home headphone used mostly wired at the desk and I've been mostly very happy with them

Buuuuuut - I'm coming from previously using grado 325e at the computer and miss the open back sound immensely.

It's been a while so I need some input from h95 owners with open back experience - Putting aside the obvious differences between closed and open, would the sennheiser hd660s2 through macbook M1 high impedance 3.5mm be superior to the H95 via USB?

It seems like a straight swap cost wise.

Thanks!
FWIW: hule I only have the HD650 to compare with, I think it is indeed completely different compared with the H95 (had for >2 years). I do have several Grados too, and I switch between those and the HD650 according to mood and/or genre. So to me, the 660s2 sound as a supplementary gift/investment to self:o2smile:

Dec 20, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #1,968 of 2,079
How do you find Ferrari Edition outlook? :)

98604515-b190-44cd-a85c-a81df07e0cd9.jpeg

Dec 20, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #1,969 of 2,079
How do you find Ferrari Edition outlook? :)

98604515-b190-44cd-a85c-a81df07e0cd9.jpeg
Beautiful looking headphones, with a lovely Ferrari logo, red stripe and red coloured grille. But, at £1,149, that's quite a large mark up above the £879 for my triple black H95, unless you are a Ferrari owner in which case the extra £270 doesn't really matter. That's nothing compared to the £1,800 mark up on the cost of the Beosound 2 for the Ferrari edition, bringing the price up to £4,449! Good to see the H95 receiving the love it deserves from B&O and pride of place in the Ferrari High-Tech Accessories webpage.

Dec 20, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #1,971 of 2,079
Hi guys,
Will go to see a used h95 tomorrow.
To lazy to read the 132 pages on this.
Anyone would be kind enough to offer a summary of pros and cons ?
As a con, I already noticed that the h95 cannot be used in purely passive mode.
I assume that this forces to use internal circuitry and makes the use of a to notch DAC useless...
Is that correct ?

Any other important things to be aware of ?

Thanks a lot for your answers...

Dec 21, 2023 at 4:08 AM Post #1,972 of 2,079
Hi guys,
Will go to see a used h95 tomorrow.
To lazy to read the 132 pages on this.
Anyone would be kind enough to offer a summary of pros and cons ?
As a con, I already noticed that the h95 cannot be used in purely passive mode.
I assume that this forces to use internal circuitry and makes the use of a to notch DAC useless...
Is that correct ?

Any other important things to be aware of ?

Thanks a lot for your answers...
I have had my H95 for a couple of years. Whilst I have tried using them via the USB or via an external DAC, I love the freedom of wireless headphones, particularly whilst working at my computer so have concentrated on optimising their performance via Bluetooth.

Pro
Top quality materials throughout including the aluminium case. I would make sure this has not been damaged through ill treatment and that all of the original accessories (charging lead, 3.5 mm lead, dual connector) are present.
Comfortable to wear
Very clear sound stage and articulation, ideal for jazz or classical music

Con
Limited by standard Bluetooth protocol so needs an AptX Adaptive dongle to make the most of its sound quality. B&O continue to recommended the Creative BT-W3, but the W5 is better.
Some people have reported that the rotary controls can become loose. I have never had a problem with mine but would check carefully that the ANC and Volume controls work smoothly.

Dec 21, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #1,973 of 2,079
I have had my H95 for a couple of years. Whilst I have tried using them via the USB or via an external DAC, I love the freedom of wireless headphones, particularly whilst working at my computer so have concentrated on optimising their performance via Bluetooth.

Pro
Top quality materials throughout including the aluminium case. I would make sure this has not been damaged through ill treatment and that all of the original accessories (charging lead, 3.5 mm lead, dual connector) are present.
Comfortable to wear
Very clear sound stage and articulation, ideal for jazz or classical music

Con
Limited by standard Bluetooth protocol so needs an AptX Adaptive dongle to make the most of its sound quality. B&O continue to recommended the Creative BT-W3, but the W5 is better.
Some people have reported that the rotary controls can become loose. I have never had a problem with mine but would check carefully that the ANC and Volume controls work smoothly.
+1 and again emphasizing the very good sound. ANC not so good as e.g Sony, but OK for me. I have not have any problems with the rotary controls and enjoy them very much. I only use them wirelessly.

Dec 21, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #1,975 of 2,079
Hi guys,
Thanks a lot for your answers.
Went there
Connected the h95 with Bluetooth
After 1 minute it was obvious that this was no sound for me :frowning2:
Too much bass :frowning2:
Sorry that it didn't work for you. BTW did you try the app? not that i use it (often).....but there is a quite good EQ option.

Dec 22, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #1,977 of 2,079
Well if you say so.
But on the recordings that I am used to listen to, too much bass.
Compared to, as an example, Sony mdr-z1r that is considered as que heavy in the bass...
I inside that I did not like it. Others may think it sounds great. I will for sure not try to force my views upon them.

Dec 22, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #1,978 of 2,079
Well if you say so.
But on the recordings that I am used to listen to, too much bass.
Compared to, as an example, Sony mdr-z1r that is considered as que heavy in the bass...
I inside that I did not like it. Others may think it sounds great. I will for sure not try to force my views upon them.
I am sure that the Sony MDR-Z1R have incredibly sound quality, especially if paired with a top quality source and DAC. However, with the headphones alone costing £1650, they are twice the price of the H95 so not comparable. They were beyond my budget so I didn't audition them plus I needed a closed back headphone for personal listening in a shared home office.

All audio auditioning is about finding a product that gives you the sound that you want in a format that suits your needs. I'm hoping my H95s give me many more years of listening pleasure but have a feeling that B&O are going to launch an even better H100 product next year to mark their centennial year.

Dec 22, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #1,979 of 2,079
I'm looking forward for their H100, but only if they make them optionally completely passive and balanced. I don't use bluetooth (only when working, so not for music) and listening on ZX707 was a pain (because of the internal dac / amp whatever from H95)

Dec 22, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #1,980 of 2,079
Hi,

As you noticed, I did not compare the MDR-Z1R to the H95.
I just stated that the MDR-Z1R is a headphone (by the way it is a closed one) that gives a lot of bass... A little too much so I need to slightly EQ it in that area.
And I just said that the H95 was giving even more "bassy" (somewhat "boomy" feeling).

That was just a reply to the previous post saying that, if I find there is too much bass, then that is because the bass is on the recording.
I was just saying that, if that bass was indeed on the recording, I probably would have noticed it with the MDR-Z1R.
Noticing it to a certain degree with the H95 and not with the MDR-Z1R entitles me to think that the H95 is too "bassy" for my tastes.
It was nothing more than that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back