NEW Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95 ANC Headphones - Reviews & Impressions
Jul 17, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #1,921 of 2,079
I have tested Sennheiser BTD600, Creative BT-W4, BT-W5 and this chinese KB8P. So far the best option for me is KB8P with no issues, no cracks, no pops, no connection issues, no sound issues. It's hard to believe well-known brands cannot compete or maybe it's just combination with H95 headphones. BTD600 sounds better than KB8P (it's just my subjective feeling probably), but sound cracks and pops are horrible. Not usable until I open phone B&O app, toggle between presets like Optimal -> something else -> Optimel and cracks are gone until phone is locked again. And this is happening while BTD600 is plugged to my desktop PC. BT-W5 on the other hand has no cracks, very very rare, but sound quality is like listening to some low bitrate mp3 encoded in 1998 with ton of background artifacts noticeable during quieter parts. I tried even raise current for USB ports about 0.3V to naively thing it will be beneficial. Same result. Do you have similar experience or it's just me?
You may want to check the frequency that is running in. Also, by default it is set to some gaming eq for my unit. I had to switch it to no eq and after that the sound seem equivalent to btd600. Volume in btd600 is still higher though. I agree that the Chinese bt unit is great. No pops n clicks, but the one I had was very low volume, had to crank up almost max before I get decent volume.. the volume steps seem very similar to listening mode of the headphones using usb-c cable.

Jul 19, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #1,922 of 2,079
Hmm, something interesting I’ve discovered. I recently brought my EQ for warranty claim. They return back a EX as EQ is no longer an active product line. The EX also supports AptX Adaptive.

I’ve been using EX the whole day with btd600, bt-w5. None of them have any interference issues. No clicks and pops or weird artifacts. Just clear music. Unlike h95.

Curious about this, I took EX and connected with the aliexpress t10p adapter to test. I notice that it is only able to connect to AptX Adaptive, SBC and the basic AptX. Regardless how many times I switch audio codec, it never lands on AptX HD.

Contrary to that, H95 was able to connect to AptX HD, AptX Adaptive, SBC and basic AptX. I’m starting to suspect if the interference we are getting is due to H95 struggling to stick to one codec for processing (AptX Hd vs AptX Adaptive).

If this is true, I guess the receiving Bluetooth module of h95 is flawed due to this.

Jul 19, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #1,923 of 2,079
Hmm, something interesting I’ve discovered. I recently brought my EQ for warranty claim. They return back a EX as EQ is no longer an active product line. The EX also supports AptX Adaptive.

I’ve been using EX the whole day with btd600, bt-w5. None of them have any interference issues. No clicks and pops or weird artifacts. Just clear music. Unlike h95.

Curious about this, I took EX and connected with the aliexpress t10p adapter to test. I notice that it is only able to connect to AptX Adaptive, SBC and the basic AptX. Regardless how many times I switch audio codec, it never lands on AptX HD.

Contrary to that, H95 was able to connect to AptX HD, AptX Adaptive, SBC and basic AptX. I’m starting to suspect if the interference we are getting is due to H95 struggling to stick to one codec for processing (AptX Hd vs AptX Adaptive).

If this is true, I guess the receiving Bluetooth module of h95 is flawed due to this.

That's expected behaviour and is due to a limit in Qualcomm chips used.

Out of all their Bluetooth chips in the current lineup, those for "on head" headphones with aptX Adaptive support are able to fallback on standard aptX or aptX HD if the source device doesn't support (or has disabled support for) aptX Adaptive.

Instead, chips for TWS earbuds with aptX Adaptive support are able to fallback only on standard aptX - not aptX HD (obviously they can connect to a source device that supports aptX HD, but the connection will be aptX classic - as the codec used is the "highest quality" supported by both source and sink device).

Your experience leads me to believe that the "pops" you hear with H95 when using aptX Adaptive in "high quality" mode are due to the high quality mode being too "demanding" in terms of radio frequency environment "cleanliness" - a mode that the H95 would support at a bitrate level that's equal if not superior to standard aptX HD. While the reason why you hear no such pops when using the same mode on EX is that their "high quality" mod basically maxes out at standard aptX quality. There are just a few TWS earbuds that on aptX Adaptive explicitly support higher bitrate modes (I believe - but not 100% sure - the B&W Pi5/7 S2 are amongst the few), I guess those would take full advantage of the "high quality" mode of recent aptX Adaptive transmitters.

And to conclude, the reason why H95 works in a way with some aptX Adaptive transmitters and in another way with different ones, could be potentially down to how those transmitters have implemented the high quality mode (i.e. some of them support 24bit 96kHz mode while others are limited to 16/24bit 48kHz), which in turn makes the H95 more or less susceptible to RF noise.

Jul 23, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #1,924 of 2,079
Haha my man yes exactly the same behavior with my BT-W5… I also notice if I distance away from the adapter the interference goes away. It seem to need to be not near to the adapter to work well.

You’ll also notice when on HQ, you move your head around near your adapter it will cause some clicks and pops. If you stay still listening it would be less interference. I start to think the way the signal is transmitted might cause this issue. Try blocking your adapter with your hands would also reduce the interference. So if I’m using the desktop I would plug it behind the desktop instead of the front to reduce the interference.

But regardless, optimal sound profile reduces it the most… Hope creative will publish some firmware update to fix all these issues…
I'm so glad I'm not the only one with this issue, I was starting to think my H95s were defective. I never put much thought into it but yes turning my head will cause the interference as well!

I'm using the BT W5 with the H95s right now and I've just placed a few sheets of paper on top of the adapter along with a USB C hub (adapter for HDMI USB A etc.) and the pops and clicks seem to be reduced.

This has to be the weirdest workaround I've ever had for a device. My guess would be the farther away you go away from the BT W5 the more it increases its throughput or "power" and this might be the way the H95 wants to receive the transmission.

Crazy how counterintuitive it is that placing objects between you and the bluetooth device actually might decrease interference

Jul 26, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #1,925 of 2,079
You may want to check the frequency that is running in. Also, by default it is set to some gaming eq for my unit. I had to switch it to no eq and after that the sound seem equivalent to btd600. Volume in btd600 is still higher though. I agree that the Chinese bt unit is great. No pops n clicks, but the one I had was very low volume, had to crank up almost max before I get decent volume.. the volume steps seem very similar to listening mode of the headphones using usb-c cable.
I'm not sure I can check the frequency on PC. Those other "features" are first thing I always turn OFF.

That's expected behaviour and is due to a limit in Qualcomm chips used.

Out of all their Bluetooth chips in the current lineup, those for "on head" headphones with aptX Adaptive support are able to fallback on standard aptX or aptX HD if the source device doesn't support (or has disabled support for) aptX Adaptive.

Instead, chips for TWS earbuds with aptX Adaptive support are able to fallback only on standard aptX - not aptX HD (obviously they can connect to a source device that supports aptX HD, but the connection will be aptX classic - as the codec used is the "highest quality" supported by both source and sink device).

Your experience leads me to believe that the "pops" you hear with H95 when using aptX Adaptive in "high quality" mode are due to the high quality mode being too "demanding" in terms of radio frequency environment "cleanliness" - a mode that the H95 would support at a bitrate level that's equal if not superior to standard aptX HD. While the reason why you hear no such pops when using the same mode on EX is that their "high quality" mod basically maxes out at standard aptX quality. There are just a few TWS earbuds that on aptX Adaptive explicitly support higher bitrate modes (I believe - but not 100% sure - the B&W Pi5/7 S2 are amongst the few), I guess those would take full advantage of the "high quality" mode of recent aptX Adaptive transmitters.

And to conclude, the reason why H95 works in a way with some aptX Adaptive transmitters and in another way with different ones, could be potentially down to how those transmitters have implemented the high quality mode (i.e. some of them support 24bit 96kHz mode while others are limited to 16/24bit 48kHz), which in turn makes the H95 more or less susceptible to RF noise.
It makes sense what you said, but I tested it in most "clean" environment I could get. I turned OFF all wi-fi access points, all BT devices, all smart home sensors, smart phones too. Everything was OFF only connection between dongle and H95 was present on very small distance, less than 1m. Still same result. Pops, clicks, artifacts. So either transmit power is not sufficient or H95 BT receiver cannot keep up.

Jul 27, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #1,926 of 2,079
I have tried many different things to obtain a clean Bluetooth signal from my 2021 MacBook Pro but still have problems when using any of the Creative Bluetooth transmitters (BT-W3, BT-W4 or BT-W5).

However, it is a completely different story when using my iPad Pro which has a USB-C port. I just plug the BT-W5 into the USB-C socket and very quickly I am able to enjoy Apple Music in High Resolution Lossless format without any accompanying Snap, Crackle and Pop.

The only downside is that the Creative App only works on my Mac or PC and doesn't seem to work on the iPad. This means that to change from AptX Adaptive High Quality to Low Quality, Low latency, I have to remove the dongle from the iPad Pro, plug it into my Mac, change the settings and then replace it back on the iPad. I have checked this extensively and as far as I can see there is no way to change the audio quality by pressing the button on the dongle.

It is a very minor inconvenience, especially as I almost always use High Quality. The iPad Pro makes a great music player and its battery lasts all day long. It is rumoured that the iPhone Pro 15 will get a USB-C port which will be another option but I'm keeping my iPhone 14 Pro for a while longer.

Aug 5, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #1,927 of 2,079
I kept my H95s. Love them. My tablet it streams from was also affecting the volume. I'm happy with close to max volume when working out. I do wear a headband to keep them in place! Dorky, but I work out at home. Personal audio, wise, I'm locked in.

Shanling M0 Pro / Koss Porta Pro for jogging.
Roon from tablet to B & O H95 for weight lifting.
Roon and Audeze LCD-4 for immersive listening in my cushy chair.

Done!

Aug 16, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #1,928 of 2,079
What I think many forget about these headphones in their pro contralist: The headphones are IP 53 protected compared to other models in their price range.

I had spoken with a B&O employee, but he could not give me any concrete information about what this means in everyday use. Therefore, the question to you, possibly even proven by your practical experience:

Can I wear the headphones safely in the drizzle? What have your H95 already gone through and where were the limits reached?

What I also found quite interesting: Various demonstration models had somewhat stiffer rotating rings, whereas others were looser. The B&O employee suspected that the control ring of the more frequently used demonstration model became somewhat stiffer after use. Does this match your experience?

Sep 12, 2023 at 1:20 AM Post #1,930 of 2,079
Hi, I just received a pair of h95 and I have trouble connect them to the app. I already reset, uninstall the app, give permission but nothing work. But it able to connect with my other phone. Can anyone help me with this?

Sep 13, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #1,931 of 2,079
Hi, I just received a pair of h95 and I have trouble connect them to the app. I already reset, uninstall the app, give permission but nothing work. But it able to connect with my other phone. Can anyone help me with this?
Strange - What are the 2 phones? Have you tried to disconnect the H95 from the one that works and then connect to the other?

Sep 13, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #1,932 of 2,079
Strange - What are the 2 phones? Have you tried to disconnect the H95 from the one that works and then connect to the other?
I tried it but I failed to connect it with my main phone. I own Rog phone 2 and 5S. In the 2, I was able to register the headphones but it keep disconnected when I tried on the 5S. I contacted B&O cs and they are aware of the issue for some android phone and trying to fix the problem.

Sep 21, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #1,933 of 2,079
I tried it but I failed to connect it with my main phone. I own Rog phone 2 and 5S. In the 2, I was able to register the headphones but it keep disconnected when I tried on the 5S. I contacted B&O cs and they are aware of the issue for some android phone and trying to fix the problem.
Have you turned off bluetooth of the phone it does connect to when trying to connect with the other? Sometimes having my tablet and phone by each other while listening to music causes a problem. Turn off bluetooth for one then later turning bluetooth back on and it works perfectly.

Sep 21, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #1,934 of 2,079
Have you turned off bluetooth of the phone it does connect to when trying to connect with the other? Sometimes having my tablet and phone by each other while listening to music causes a problem. Turn off bluetooth for one then later turning bluetooth back on and it works perfectly.
Did that before but still the same. I tried factory reset and anything you can think of textbook wise beside open the headphones and check lol. But it not about the Bluetooth but about the app unable to recognize the headphone on the rog 5s.

Sep 22, 2023 at 7:15 AM Post #1,935 of 2,079
I purchased mine in January
I returned it today

Because the fabric around the rim starting coming lose.
Im very gentle with it
I only use it in my car
It sits on the passenger seat 98% of the time
Looks like glue quality is subpar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back