NEW Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95 ANC Headphones - Reviews & Impressions
Jun 9, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #1,352 of 2,077
@angelom, I have spoken with B&O reps regarding replaceable ear-cups. They have told me that they do not yet have official statement regarding selling any accessories for any of devices that are part of collaboration with Berluti. Since you have both black and Berluti edition on hand, would it not be too difficult for you to snap a picture of Berluti headphones with black earpads to see if it looks reasonable in case that would be the only option in the future? Would be very helpful for me as my local B&O only had silver version on display last time I've been there.

Here is one photo with both black earpads. And one photo with one black and one brown:

Attachments

• h95_bk_bk.JPG
    h95_bk_bk.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • h95_bk_br.JPG
    h95_bk_br.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Jun 9, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #1,356 of 2,077
So you

so if iam understands this b&o portal can be use for spatcial audio on Apple Music, or does it only works with Apple audio gear
No, spatial audio is an Apple only thing.

The Portal has the ability to decode an Atmos stream, but I don’t think that is how the Apple Dolby Atmos implementation works here - it isn’t sending an normal encoded Atmos stream.
If you switch Atmos to always on it will work with any headphone - although whether they can take advantage of the implementation or not is a moot point at this stage.

Jun 9, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #1,357 of 2,077
Has anyone of you tried Dolby Atmos with Apple Music? On the Airpods Max for example Rush‘s „Tom Sawyer“ sounds very fine. With the H95 it sounds very bad, i.e. at 2:35 min. it Sounds like the membran is damaged. Can please someone Check this? Is the H95 not compatible for Dolby Atmos?
I have a pair of Beats Solo 3 my daughter got for free with an iPhone a couple years back. Might try them out but they just don't sound that great and they're HOT on the noggin. I'm loving my H95's so far. I wish Apple Music sounded better to my ears. Getting some processing effect may help but I can't imagine it will out perform Tidal or Qubuz.

Jun 9, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #1,358 of 2,077
So you

so if iam understands this b&o portal can be use for spatcial audio on Apple Music, or does it only works with Apple audio gear
So from my understanding, Dolby Atmos (without head tracking) does support all headphones, if I'm not mistaken the device deals with the 3D effect before sending it out as an audio stream. I could be wrong on this additional point, but I do not believe that Apple Music will send out a 5.1 (or whatever surround sound) stream out, but I may be mistaken on that point.

But Apple has been clear that you don't need a pair of AirPods Pro or AirPods Max to listen to Dolby Atmos/Spatial Audio. However, in iOS 15, the support for head tracking Spatial Audio will be implemented and that will require the AirPods Pro or AirPods Max to use. iOS 15 also will do head-tracking stereo too.

Jun 11, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #1,359 of 2,077
I actually like the black better .. But having said that, I have a numbered edition ...

In next few days I will deciding if I'm returning the B edition or keeping this and selling my black unit. Selling my black pair and keeping the B edition is very bad for my pocket.

This morning I returning the Berluti edition h95 because I like the black more in different light conditions.

The Berluti is having a more light brown colour than what is showing in the photos in the b&o website (so in person this is disappointment) and is looking shiny too in some parts and not matt like in website photos, the texture of the leather is more nice in the black too. And the writing of "Berluti" and "1895" is very prominent too and not dark like in website photos. And the silver colour is, for me, very light, a little 'bling', I like a little more dark silver colour. Having 3 different colours in a headphone (brown, silver and black) is not helping the design and appearance of this special edition.

For me the black colour is more elegant and more discreet in appearance, and for me is the best colour of all h95 models.

Jun 11, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #1,360 of 2,077
Hello lovely people, I am back.

I went ahead and ordered the H95s from B&O direct - after a small delay to get them to fix the 'Free Express Shipping' on the checkout so that it was actually free! After that, they arrived the day after I placed my order, having travelled from Germany to UK overnight (are these cans Brexit-proof?)

Initial impressions are, of course, that these are exquisitely manufactured headphones. The materials are top notch, although the sheer weight and unashamedly plain aluminium cups on the APM might have impressed me better. Putting them on for the first time - wow, you really feel that headband. I am spoiled by the fact that my gaming headphones (Logitech G773) use a suspension strap system.

I completely understand what Verificateur said about the H95 having more mid-bass. And for me, that's quite a good thing (and not to say that the sub-bass on these is poor by any stretch of the imagination) as I appreciate a solid thump that you can actually feel. I can also tell these headphones handle bass properly, unlike the Bose/Sonys of the world that are a bit muddy.

However.... part of me feels that the computational audio of the APM creates a slightly wider soundstage which I might have found myself wishing the H95s could replicate. Also, being given the choice to change the EQ on these scares me, because back in the day I used to 'improve' the signature of much cheaper headphones by just whacking the bass way up and reducing the mids/highs. What a boomy, muddy mess that used to be to my teenage ears. The 'this is what you get' nature of Bose QC35/APM was refreshing (especially since they sounded so good on their own). I have tried not to touch the EQ in the B&O app, but I couldn't help try moving the dial towards Warm/Excited, with mixed results.

As I type, I am listening to a 90s/early 2000s throwback playlist as a refreshing break from my usual test playlist which I have become so accustomed to this past month that everything now sounds the same and I can't evaluate these properly. And with this playlist I can appreciate the H95s giving new life to these 2-decade old tracks.

All that being said, though, these are the second pair of (expensive) headphones I've bought which sound great but which are, honestly, uncomfortable. For the APMs it was the ear cups, impossible to fit properly and the proximity sensor hole in the ear cups leaving a sore imprint on my left ear. The H95s, on the other hand, hurt on the top of my head. And the ears aren't entirely comfortable either, although I can't pinpoint any particular area (unlike with the APMs), they just kinda feel sore in general.

Early days, I know, but at this point I'm considering just sticking with my old (and underused) QC35s for commuting/at work, and then either listening to speakers at home (I have a 5.1 Sonos setup) or buying the comfiest looking wired open-backs from Sennheiser that I can find. I don't know about anyone else, but some of those wired open-backs look like they have giant ear cushions that could be worn for hours upon end.

What say you all?!

Jun 11, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #1,361 of 2,077

I went ahead and ordered the H95s from B&O direct - after a small delay to get them to fix the 'Free Express Shipping' on the checkout so that it was actually free! After that, they arrived the day after I placed my order, having travelled from Germany to UK overnight (are these cans Brexit-proof?)

Initial impressions are, of course, that these are exquisitely manufactured headphones. The materials are top notch, although the sheer weight and unashamedly plain aluminium cups on the APM might have impressed me better. Putting them on for the first time - wow, you really feel that headband. I am spoiled by the fact that my gaming headphones (Logitech G773) use a suspension strap system.

I completely understand what Verificateur said about the H95 having more mid-bass. And for me, that's quite a good thing (and not to say that the sub-bass on these is poor by any stretch of the imagination) as I appreciate a solid thump that you can actually feel. I can also tell these headphones handle bass properly, unlike the Bose/Sonys of the world that are a bit muddy.

However.... part of me feels that the computational audio of the APM creates a slightly wider soundstage which I might have found myself wishing the H95s could replicate. Also, being given the choice to change the EQ on these scares me, because back in the day I used to 'improve' the signature of much cheaper headphones by just whacking the bass way up and reducing the mids/highs. What a boomy, muddy mess that used to be to my teenage ears. The 'this is what you get' nature of Bose QC35/APM was refreshing (especially since they sounded so good on their own). I have tried not to touch the EQ in the B&O app, but I couldn't help try moving the dial towards Warm/Excited, with mixed results.

As I type, I am listening to a 90s/early 2000s throwback playlist as a refreshing break from my usual test playlist which I have become so accustomed to this past month that everything now sounds the same and I can't evaluate these properly. And with this playlist I can appreciate the H95s giving new life to these 2-decade old tracks.

All that being said, though, these are the second pair of (expensive) headphones I've bought which sound great but which are, honestly, uncomfortable. For the APMs it was the ear cups, impossible to fit properly and the proximity sensor hole in the ear cups leaving a sore imprint on my left ear. The H95s, on the other hand, hurt on the top of my head. And the ears aren't entirely comfortable either, although I can't pinpoint any particular area (unlike with the APMs), they just kinda feel sore in general.

Early days, I know, but at this point I'm considering just sticking with my old (and underused) QC35s for commuting/at work, and then either listening to speakers at home (I have a 5.1 Sonos setup) or buying the comfiest looking wired open-backs from Sennheiser that I can find. I don't know about anyone else, but some of those wired open-backs look like they have giant ear cushions that could be worn for hours upon end.

What say you all?!

Good post Sheza.

First, I must saying that I think still that the qc35 is a very good headphone today in general, when you considering all the features.

Second, about the comfort of the h95. If you really like the sound of the h95 and the comfort is little, but not completely problematic, my advice is you giving the h95 2 weeks of using every day (2 or more hours a day). Why I'm saying this? Because something similar happening with me with the excellent b&w p7 wireless (p7w). Many people saying the p7w is uncomfortable, and when I buying it 4 years ago, initially yes, for me is uncomfortable too, but after 10-15 days the comfort changing very much until is becoming really very, very comfortable. I'm little surprise you having problems with the headband because I think the padding is sufficiently good, but this is always personal and maybe this padding isn't right for you, or maybe you can trying extending the arms a little more.

About the bass, yes, the h95 maybe having little more mid bass than APM, but the elevation is minimal and tasteful, and just sufficient for giving little more weight to mids in a very good way, in my opinion, never making the mids muddy or thick like other headphones.

Good luck.

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #1,362 of 2,077

What say you all?!
Based on this post I'd say you're very discerning and will be difficult to find a set that sounds good, has adequate sound stage, and has comfort that you find acceptable. Keep trying but I don't think you'll find what you're looking for without settling on one or two features. I can't agree with the APM comments. Their sound was just not for me.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #1,363 of 2,077
The only reason I buying the Berluti edition is because WDitters having a limited edition h95 and I want a limited edition pair too! :)

But serious now, in person with both headphones I don't know which I preferring, each is have little things I preferring than the other, but in general right now I think I like the B edition a little more. In next few days I will deciding if I'm returning the B edition or keeping this and selling my black unit. Selling my black pair and keeping the B edition is very bad for my pocket.
Holy smoke, they are beautiful, but as they are 50% more expensive, I’ll stick with the black version. After all I don’t see them when in use:darthsmile: But if your wallet allows, then go for it......
edit: I wrote this before realizing that you had returned the Berluti.....

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #1,364 of 2,077
This morning I returning the Berluti edition h95 because I like the black more in different light conditions.

The Berluti is having a more light brown colour than what is showing in the photos in the b&o website (so in person this is disappointment) and is looking shiny too in some parts and not matt like in website photos, the texture of the leather is more nice in the black too. And the writing of "Berluti" and "1895" is very prominent too and not dark like in website photos. And the silver colour is, for me, very light, a little 'bling', I like a little more dark silver colour. Having 3 different colours in a headphone (brown, silver and black) is not helping the design and appearance of this special edition.

For me the black colour is more elegant and more discreet in appearance, and for me is the best colour of all h95 models.

To be honest.. I kinda expected that.. Somehow the Berluti design doesn't work for me. There is something conservative to Berluti designs that in my mind does not really combine well with the B&O polished high-end industrial refinement..

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #1,365 of 2,077
To be honest.. I kinda expected that.. Somehow the Berluti design doesn't work for me. There is something conservative to Berluti designs that in my mind does not really combine well with the B&O polished high-end industrial refinement..
Having seen a pair of H95 Berluti in real life now, this reinforces my first impression... Plus the slightly over the top and overly present Berluti branding makes it seem a bit tacky.. Thankfully tastes vary and there will absolutely be people who prefer the Berluti edition.. But I'm out..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back