NEW Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95 ANC Headphones - Reviews & Impressions
Sep 8, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #1,411 of 2,079
Why would you want to listen to the music when talking to someone, not really sure why this should work?
In any case, I tested it for you: if I understand you correctly, yes, the headset doesn't remember where it was, and if I turned off in transparency, I have to rotate to ANC and back to transparency, to get transparency.

Sep 8, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #1,412 of 2,079
Because I listen music as background while working at home curently and when someone approach me (wife, kids, whoever) I just turn ON transparency and talk to them. I don't see this particular situation weird or strange. This should work because thats the main reason for transparency. You want environment fully in your ears.
Thanks for testing. This means it's software related since previous version preserved settings while on cable.

Sep 8, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #1,413 of 2,079
Hello folks,

I'm new here, but I see this is really huge thread so hopefully I got some repsonse to my H95 experience. I own them since February this year. I'm really happy with headphones until recent software update from 5.2.1 to 5.7.4. I need to state I use them 95% of the time on the in-line cable connected to my steinberg pre-amp. You may question why this headphones then? Because I had already B&O experience, I like sound signature and I want ANC. Back to my experience after software update. They stated in changelog they did some mic algorithm modification which produce less sharper, less clear transparency mode for me so I cannot normaly talk to person why listening music anymore even on low volume. I wish there was some EQ also for mics when using trapsnarency mode. Another nonsense thing is when I use them with in-line cable, with ANC or transparency enabled, than I switch them off and later when I want to use them again I expect that my ANC/Transparency setting will be preserved but not anymore. When in-lilne cable is connected the ANC or transparency is set to neutral right after I switch them ON. That wouldn't be a big deal either, but when I turn knob to go back to my previous ANC/transparency setting I cannot do that. Sound notification tells me I have ANC or transparency maxed out but I can clearly hear it's neutral. To work arround this, I need to set transparency first (when ANC was my last setting and vice versa) and than I can reach ANC settings again. This is not problem when in-line cable is off and when I use them wirelessly. But since I do not use them like this, it's drives me crazy. Non of these happened on version 5.2.1. I have 2 tickets opened with customer service so will see if there is way to rollback to previous software version. Have you guys experienced something like this or can someone replicate that behavior with in-line cable for me whether it's just my unit or it's new software related?

DEFINITELY get them to fix this in a software update reverting back to old behaviour, rather than having you downgrade the firmware to an older one (which likely is not even possible).

It's a common issue for B&O to introduce bugs on the "memory" of the headphones (i.e. the headphones stop remembering the last ANC/transparency or Beosonic preset used and revert back to the default one when rebooted or after some time that you don't connect them to the app, or in some other cases such as using them with 3.5mm line in or USB-C audio input), and it's not acceptable at the price point of their products.

Don't let them get away with it.

Don't stop pushing until they fix it.

Sep 8, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #1,415 of 2,079
Here I don’t quite agree with you. Soundwise H6 do sound better but all that sound is for nothing when a train pulls beside you or you find yourself in a diesel lok. with open windows. You barely hear anything else, no bass, nothing. H6 doesn’t isolate as nearly as much.
But I will also agree on two things: 800 is a high price, where I personally wouldn’t like to compromise either. And 2nd, I didn’t pay for them, I got them for the work (for the ability to talk in aforementioned situations too). Personally, if I were buying them, primarily for sound quality, and without the need for ANC, I also wouldn’t pay the full price, if I would even buy them at all.

Sep 9, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #1,416 of 2,079
My favourite part of the sound of the h95 is the artifacts that only the h95 offering. This artifacts are helping making some boring music I'm listening more exciting.

Sep 9, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #1,417 of 2,079
So the artifacts thing is usual, or what? Or do only some headsets have that? I believe I didn't hear artifacts as I was in the B&O store, and I did hear them on my pair.
They sound to me like uncontrolled high frequencies, something I would expect from bad bass performance, but this time in highs. I hear them with some cymbals or hats.
Not sure still if this is what is really on the recording (H6 doesn't represent this at all, neither does any headphone I ever heard) or a problem with the driver.

In any case, I was informed yesterday that a 2nd pair of H95 arrived. When I was ordering last week, I got the "Internal Server Error" after confirming credit card payment. Since I got no email confirmation about anything, I ordered 2nd time. This time the order went through.
But, two pairs arrived, meaning the 1st order also went through.
So now I have a chance to test a 2nd pair, but not sure if B&O would be OK with that? Is there experience with 30 day return? Should I just test the 2nd pair and return one?

Sep 9, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #1,418 of 2,079
Oh, I know now how to describe how H95 sounds to me!
Just been playing Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Menn Tell no Tales - Dying Gull.
I was on H6... known territory... then I put H95, at first I though, OK, not bad... then came big orchestra and first thing I though: this sounds like listening through a tube!

Honestly, I am nearing the point where I'll most likely return them. Sad but true.

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #1,419 of 2,079
DEFINITELY get them to fix this in a software update reverting back to old behaviour, rather than having you downgrade the firmware to an older one (which likely is not even possible).

It's a common issue for B&O to introduce bugs on the "memory" of the headphones (i.e. the headphones stop remembering the last ANC/transparency or Beosonic preset used and revert back to the default one when rebooted or after some time that you don't connect them to the app, or in some other cases such as using them with 3.5mm line in or USB-C audio input), and it's not acceptable at the price point of their products.

Don't let them get away with it.

Don't stop pushing until they fix it.
They stated so far that rolbacks are not possible yet but they can inquire with technical deportament so I told them to do so and on top of that I add that it would be handy to have that ability in app if users are not stasfied with new software for some reasons thay can go back and report issues, bugs and wait for fix. I know this is scenario from dreamland but there is a lot of space for better user experience, first of all not ruin the ones that already works, expecially in that price range.
They said devs are looking at it and they will reach me once there will be resolution for me so I said that I believe the resolution will be fix in form of new software update since this is completely broken experience for me.
I'll keep this posted once I get something new from them.

Sep 10, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #1,420 of 2,079
So the artifacts thing is usual, or what?

I believe he is just messing with us, haha. When I brought it up a few weeks ago he said it was because I've been used to the H6 2nd for years and it has a different frequency response. This would make some parts sound harsh to me. But he has never used a pair of H6 2nd .. so. In this respect, this is a pure comparison based on data sheets - but you actually can not listen to them.

Sep 10, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #1,421 of 2,079
Well, I went ahead and opened a 2nd H95 today and compared.
A little different sound, but really just slightly. Highs are little different, but not much, they seem a little clearer to me.
Frequency response is whatever, but H6 are definitely clearer, even if they don't reach the frequencies of H95.
H95 I hear up to 14,6Khz, and H6 up to 13,7kHz. So there is a difference.
However, I still perceive H6 as cleaner, more flat and definitely more balanced, while H95 sound to me bassy with sharper treble. And with sound like through the tube, compared to the open sound of H6.
I simply don't understand how anyone would claim H95 sound better than H6. H6 play in a completely different league.
I ordered Airpods Max today, with the hope... but reading reviews, I am sceptical too.
But: I really wanted to like H95. I love the build and the looks.

And btw. I don't believe it's because I have been using them for years: a friend of mine also has H6 2nd Gen, and swears by them too. Also, I was recently searching for a pair of in-ears in price range of couple of hundreds, for biking mainly. Landed on Sony XM3's, which in my opinion have lots of in common with H6. I also heard some B&O and Sennheiser in-ears, both which sounded completely and very very far from good.

In my life I also heard many AKG and Beyerdynamic headphones (big overhead ones), many look to create clean bass, but completely omit the general and balanced sound. Often sounds muddy, weird sound signature, etc. H6 is the first set I ever owned which I put, and each time, and I really mean each time, get goosebumps when listening to it. I really don't know with which headphones I'll replace it... :rolling_eyes:

And honestly, don't give me thing about AptX, Bluetooth or whatever. Wireless is perfectly capable of delivering good sound, just look/listen to Fiio. I am actually thinking of ordering BTR3X or BTR5, to at least disconnect my phone from the headphone-system for on the go.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #1,422 of 2,079
Hi everyone, I was wondering whether others have also noticed that when you're turning the ANC wheel towards maximum, you quite regularly hear a slight grinding noise, most noticable in the right ear-cup. Almost as if some of the parts inside the earcup are physically moving, adjusting to the ANC setting or something. Since it sounds like there's something physically moving, it's kind of a weird sensation. A grinding/rattling sound is the best way to describe it. Do others experience this too, in other words: is it normal? It's subtile, so it's mainly noticeable when your music is paused.
Anyone who could check whether this is normal on his unit as well?

Sep 11, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #1,424 of 2,079
Today Airpods Max arrived. Now, this is what H95 should sound like + deepness of H95 and full punchiness of H6.
AP Max simply have way more pressure and power, they are just a tick muddier in higher bass, but something I'll rather have than unclear sound in general.
Sound signature of AP Max is pretty close to H6 too. They sound bright and open, have decent amount of punch, ANC is very good (still to be tested in train, at home with kids etc, just fine).
Something I am missing with H95, for instance with tracks from Hans Zimmer where the trombones start to drill through the big sound, H95 totally hide the penetrating sound. Both H6 and Airpods Max saw through the sound... amazing.
H6 however still remains the king - the pressure, punch and clarity in the highs is still way better. However the difference between AP Max and H6 is way smaller than it is between H95 and H6.
I am actually convinced that the difference is not AptX, Bluetooth or whatever Wireless, but actually the attempt to pull as much as possible from the battery. Let me put it like this: if I play my H6 with Dragonfly Red on the iPhone 12 Pro, I get couple of hours of playback. H95 and AP Max get 20hrs+. I am sure if they lowered the number of hours you can play them and put more power into drivers, you would get more punch and/or clarity.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back