NEW Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95 ANC Headphones - Reviews & Impressions
Aug 23, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #1,397 of 2,077
Aug 27, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #1,398 of 2,077
Hi all , just update my beoplay h95. And just wonder why the adaptive anc slider wound work in the app iam of the new FW vision just update it . And still no fiction is this the way it works other wise adaptive anc is a bad gimic if you ar in cars plane and trains the anc schoud by adjustable automatically
How has the same issue

Sep 3, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #1,399 of 2,077
It looks that there are new colors : brown and navy + one other that couldn't be found on their site but I saw it in the B&O iOS app

h95_brown_hero.png

h95_blue_hero.png

silver.jpg

Sep 5, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #1,401 of 2,077
3 days ago I have the first anniversary with my h95. I'm very happy still, and more with the last firmware update of 3-4 months ago, specially with possibility of muting my voice when I'm in a telephone call when is necessary.

I'm not repeating so many things I like about the h95 but the new very good aspect for me is that I using the h95 in 2 flights for the first time. The anc isn't so strong like sony xm3 (headphone not iem) or bose qc35, but is really very sufficiently good for music, podcasts and films in my iPad. This is the test I'm waiting for for a long time after 2 cancellations of trips in last 6-8 months because of the Covid. I don't have problems with earpads detaching from the headphones when I putting the headphones in my neck (long time ago somebody saying this is a problem for him). I using the factory case and I putting in my backpack and I don't having scratches at all, but is true too that I checking that no metals are in contact with the case.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #1,403 of 2,077
Hello,
thought I join the thread, as I received my H95 today, coming from H6 Gen2.
I'll put it like this: I expected more (from H95), soundwise.

First of all, the sound signature of the H95 is far far from H6 Gen2.
H6 are way brighter and not nearly as soft as H95. Listening to percussions (not bass, but rather percussions in higher frequencies, like smaller bongos or something), H6 have both more punch and are clearer.
H95 does extend little below H6 and has some high frequencies, which to me sound more like artifacts than anything else.
My sound sources are only high quality, FLAC 44/16 and higher, up to 24/192, played via ASIO on the Focusrite Clarett. My secondary source is an iPhone with DragonFly Red.
In all cases H6 is killing the H95.
If I would isolate myself to listening bass only, maybe H95 would win. But also then it would be a close battle, H6 having shorter bass (call it punchy), with H95 sounding deeper yes, even having more bass, but slightly prolonging bass too.
Been enjoying H6 since about 2018 I think and I was really hoping to replace them with H95 for the sound quality and get ANC and portability (no cable).
H95 however do sound way better when on the go, trains etc, with full ANC on, than H6. Still missing the punchiness, but ANC on makes somewhat up for it.

I am not sure, but after reading many pages of this thread, can it be that my pair has some problems?
Maybe I will go into B&O shop and listen to H95 there too, to see if they are better.

Sep 7, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #1,404 of 2,077
Hi Kosta88,

The H95 is a Bluetooth headphone and even if you use it with a wire it will use the codec of the headphone instead the one of your source.
The H95 supports SBC, AAC, aptX Adaptive codec.
Best case scenario : you're using aptX adaptive.
aptX adaptive supports audio file playback with 16 and 24 bit-depths at 44.1 and 48kHz sample rates max.

I'm not saying that the whole difference comes from the BT vs wired connection but of course if you're using a good source to play a 24/192 track on your H6 vs H95 BT you will hear a difference.

Sep 7, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #1,405 of 2,077
I see. I was actually more referring to the standard quality, 44/16, since most of my music is that format.
So, if I understand it correctly, using a cable still makes the sound go through the headphone codec?
Still, even with standard audio format of 44/16, I miss lots of pressure of H6. I can leverage it a bit with the app, using "Clear", but that's about it. That doesn't reach the H6 quality, which is in my opinion very high, certainly on the level of $1000 headphones or even more. I was working as audio engineer years ago, so I would sort H6 into the class of high quality studio headphones. Which is for the price there were sold, I believe I got them for about €200, extremely "cheap" - performance/price ratio is in my eyes through the roof.
But of course, I have to be realistic: using H95 in a train with ANC on, the music sounds eons better than it ever was or will with H6 - no noise means I can lower the volume, and I hear way more bass and much clearer sound. H6 simply can't compete here.
At home, on the amp, different story.
I am just pissed with two things: that I bought the beige model and they are really dirty already, and that there are no more replacement earpads.
For now, H6 will be my favorite at home, and H95 for on the go.
I will btw. go into the B&O store today to compare to another pair of H95s, since I do have slight suspicion that my drivers might have some problem.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #1,409 of 2,077
Hi Quanti,
oh nice to hear! Then I guess you might have been in the Argentinierstraße B&O Shop? I was yesterday there to audition a 2nd pair of H95s.
I actually ordered HX first, believing it might be "enough", but I was wrong. I returned it to Amazon faster than anything else.
Then I ordered H95 from the B&O online store, and let me put it like this:
After listening to H95 in the store, I am convinced my H95 don't have a problem. The sound is nearly the same, so it's just how they are tuned. Maybe it's also codecs having influence on the sound.
I talked to the guy in the store, and he agreed with me that H6 2nd Gen most likely sounds better, simply because it's direct sound, no electronics in between.
However, as we say in German "die Kirche im Dorf lassen", meaning stay conservative, take them both for what they are and they both have their usage scenarios.
H95 will not replace my H6 but will complement the H6. H6 are WAY worse in trains and on the way, listening with ANC, H95 puts you in the sound-wise very acceptable sound-cocoon (I would wish the cocoon sounded like H6, but hey, it's far from bad), and as an overall package for on the go, H95 wins, hands down:
No cable, very good sound, excellent controls, excellent build quality, foldable... perfect package for on the go.
Is it worth €800? Hard to say, it's a high price, and I bought my H6 on sale for I believe €240, so you can't really compare apples and oranges. Apart from the slightly diminished sound quality compared to H6, I will say that they certainly deliver. They will stay.
Soundwise, I also totally agree with you: H6 -> H95 -> HX.

Sep 8, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #1,410 of 2,077
Hello folks,

I'm new here, but I see this is really huge thread so hopefully I got some repsonse to my H95 experience. I own them since February this year. I'm really happy with headphones until recent software update from 5.2.1 to 5.7.4. I need to state I use them 95% of the time on the in-line cable connected to my steinberg pre-amp. You may question why this headphones then? Because I had already B&O experience, I like sound signature and I want ANC. Back to my experience after software update. They stated in changelog they did some mic algorithm modification which produce less sharper, less clear transparency mode for me so I cannot normaly talk to person why listening music anymore even on low volume. I wish there was some EQ also for mics when using trapsnarency mode. Another nonsense thing is when I use them with in-line cable, with ANC or transparency enabled, than I switch them off and later when I want to use them again I expect that my ANC/Transparency setting will be preserved but not anymore. When in-lilne cable is connected the ANC or transparency is set to neutral right after I switch them ON. That wouldn't be a big deal either, but when I turn knob to go back to my previous ANC/transparency setting I cannot do that. Sound notification tells me I have ANC or transparency maxed out but I can clearly hear it's neutral. To work arround this, I need to set transparency first (when ANC was my last setting and vice versa) and than I can reach ANC settings again. This is not problem when in-line cable is off and when I use them wirelessly. But since I do not use them like this, it's drives me crazy. Non of these happened on version 5.2.1. I have 2 tickets opened with customer service so will see if there is way to rollback to previous software version. Have you guys experienced something like this or can someone replicate that behavior with in-line cable for me whether it's just my unit or it's new software related?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back