NEW Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95 ANC Headphones - Reviews & Impressions
Jan 4, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #901 of 2,079
That’s right. I first used the factory sound of the APM and for me it does not sound so clear In comparison with The H95. With my personal audiogram it’s much better, but the H95 sounds in my ears a little more sovereign (EQ is set to optimal). Optimal means signature In the English version of the App.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #902 of 2,079
That’s right. I first used the factory sound of the APM and for me it does not sound so clear In comparison with The H95. With my personal audiogram it’s much better, but the H95 sounds in my ears a little more sovereign (EQ is set to optimal).

Yes, for me the factory sound of the APM is a little problematic, specially with some classical music and good masters with fast passages. For me the best sound is with my audiogram and/or with "Vocal + slight" in headphone modifications. By the way, the "optimal" setting of the h95 is the factory sound, and that for me is clearly better than APM factory sound.

Jan 4, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #903 of 2,079
When you say audiogram sound, do you mean you have hearing loss and you are using your audiogram as a correction? Or do you mean a custom tune. And if you do have hearing loss, wouldn't you use your hearing aids with the headphones?

Jan 5, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #904 of 2,079
I have no hearing loss, I even hear better than the average of people in my age. The audiogram is more than a custom tune. similar to the MIY-App used by beyerdynamics Headphone Amiron Home Wireless for example. 1F34FA17-AFC3-4DE0-8CA9-2D9FE1578479.png

Jan 5, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #905 of 2,079
Optimal means signature In the English version of the App.
Fun fact: the signature sound profile in the B&O app really used to be called "Signature" up until... Two software updates ago, I think? (All of my OSes are set to English)
Should've stayed that way if you ask me. Idk... "Optimal" sounds a little too cocky-sure to me. =)
Loving the "Signature" (why on earth did you change the name to "Optimal"?!) each time i wear the H95. But y'all already know my point: Best, ANC, Wireless, Cans.
BAWCY BAWCY. BA. BAWCY BAWCY. (x3)

Jan 9, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #908 of 2,079
I tried the APM first, out of interest. The Apple store only allowed pairing with their phones, and had only one track on the pair I got to try: Hotel Bl@@dy California. Well at least I know the track well... They are pretty good, and the little sparkle in the treble,while artificial, is nice comertial decision for attracting first time listeners. But the bass is way over the top. Not lose as such, but really not balanced and not very well timed.

As my mobius are so fragile, and the planar membranes are crinkling in both sides now even though I have swapped out good ones already...

Well I gave in, and have a pair oh H95 in silver.

I'm enjoying them on the subway on the way hone, in my own NC cocoon.

Thanks to all of you, I think I am going to be happy with these on the go.

Jan 9, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #909 of 2,079
Well I gave in, and have a pair oh H95 in silver.
I'm enjoying them on the subway on the way hone, in my own NC cocoon.
Thanks to all of you, I think I am going to be happy with these on the go.
Thank you, mate!
I've also been enjoying the H95 on some rather noisy busses during the holidays... A real treat.

Never heard of that Hotel Bl@@dy ! How d'you get there?! Do they offer you a stay at every Apple Store?!
Lol

Jan 9, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #910 of 2,079
I received the APM earlier this week and have now been able to compare them to my beloved H95s.
I was very surprised how clear the difference is between the two. The APM sound downright flat. The soundstage is nowhere near as wide as with the H95. When I start to listen to music on the H95 it’s instant joy for me because it feels so immersive. Not with the APM though. I think I even find the H9 (3rd gen) nicer to listen to than the APM.

Ease of use and the added benefit of the surround sound for movies are definite pros for the APM. The soundstage adapting to the position of the head is something you need to experience.

ANC on both causes no hissing sound. I couldn’t test the APM on a plane yet. But the H95 are not so convincing there compared to Sony or Bose.

I will keep them both. APM for movies. But for music, the H95 remain king.

Jan 9, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #911 of 2,079
Same with me, I like the sound of the H95 a little bit more in comparison to the sound of the APM when using my own audiogram on them, and I like the sound of the H95 much more in comparison to the sound of the APM when using factory setting on them. With the H95 I always use factory setting. Maybe you will have a little better experience when you use your own audiogram or at least the headphone accomodations On the APM.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #912 of 2,079
Thank you, mate!
I've also been enjoying the H95 on some rather noisy busses during the holidays... A real treat.

Never heard of that Hotel Bl@@dy ! How d'you get there?! Do they offer you a stay at every Apple Store?!
Lol

Not at our Apple store. The queues are around the block, just to look at stuff. The queue to buy or get help is long and slow. Maybe they should offer overnight stays to keep your place in the queue. I got lucky today to try them. There is some seriously good engineering in them. I just hoped they would go the way the other airpods went, not the Beats way on the bass. Then again, the Beats Solo 2/3 aren't bad. Don't tell anyone here I said so. :darthsmile:

Nothing wrong with Hotel California, or the Eagles really. Not my favourite but good musicians well recorded. But working in the industry you get utterly sick of hearing it.

When I was a student I worked in a hi-fi shop. The boss jokingly banned the favourite tracks at the time: Dire Straits - Telegraph Road and Chris Rea - Road to Hell. I asked why. He said "what do you get when you put them together? Dire-Rea !" (Diarrhoea?)

Jan 10, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #913 of 2,079
FWIW: I must admit that I am so surprised to continuously being impressed with the H95s. While the ANC is less efficient than the XM3s, the level of details and layering and sub bass is soo good. Admittedly, I was in sincere doubt as to buy them, but they are definitely keepers.

Jan 10, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #914 of 2,079
I just hoped they would go the way the other airpods went, not the Beats way on the bass.

The problem in terms of FR curve isn't really the bass - particularly compared to the H95, it's the subdued upper mids / lower trebles.
Screenshot 2021-01-10 at 19.13.37.png

https://headphonedatabase.com/oratory?ids=96,150,250

If like me your sense of "loudness" is predominantly determined by the 3000hz peak then you'd likely listen to the APM at a higher output, at which point it's got more mid-bass than the H95 :
Screenshot 2021-01-10 at 19.13.19.png

Jan 10, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #915 of 2,079
Is little strange seeing love for the h95 now when all the talking in expensive ANC headphones is about the APM, and surprisingly A LOT about frequency graphs recently, too much, in my opinion. More strange is that the people in the APM thread aren't showing interest in the h95 at all from the first day, always only mentioning sony xm4 and bose qc35/nc700 (I know this headphones are more popular, but this is a headphone forum and not even shure Aonic 50 or Momentum 3 people mentioning) and new Panda.

I understand the APM is new and is Apple product (obvious interest), but the h95 is still only 4 months old. I know people having different reasons for the interest in APM (Apple ecosystem specially, etc.), but speaking only about sound, if I'm in the APM thread and I never hearing about the h95 and some people mentioning this, I'm very, very curious about this headphone, specially when you can testing for one month and getting money back if you aren't happy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back