NEW Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95 ANC Headphones - Reviews & Impressions
Dec 29, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #886 of 2,079
Ok, I trying with the 3,5mm cable connected to my MacBook Pro 16-inch few minutes ago and I don't hearing distortion. In fact I think maybe with the cable the sound of the bass is a little more clean, but the difference, if is really any at all, is very minimal.
Let me try to play with replacing sources - different DAPs and as well, with MacBook, and I will post my result back.
In my previous exercise I was rolling headphones connected to the same DAP.

Dec 29, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #887 of 2,079
Let me try to play with replacing sources - different DAPs and as well, with MacBook, and I will post my result back.
In my previous exercise I was rolling headphones connected to the same DAP.
Rolling H95 (wired) between different sources (DX220MAX, DX228EX, Fiio M11Pro, Macbook Pro via internal card, Macbook Pro via external DACs) gave me unpredictable result: that bass distortion on 'In This Moment - In the Air Tonight' track just gone.
As I wrote earlier, before i rolled different HP and IEMs connected to the same DAP and listening this track - i had that distortion listening only H95 wired; my other HP and IEMs were playing it brilliant clearly.
I have no idea how that could be.

Dec 29, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #888 of 2,079
Conclusion

Anyone want to buy a pair of B&O H95?

On a more serious note, the H95 has shown itself to a have real mid-bass issue. It presents itself clearly and matched the first impression I had when I first got the headphones. This was something I tried to justify away, I think in large part due to their extortionate price (for a ANC headphone) and the fact I managed to get one of the numbered pair. But since buying them in September I haven’t actually listened to them that much.
Thanks for the detailed comparison between APM and H95. It is interesting how our favorite headphone becomes "correct sounding" reference :).

I prefer my MTW2 (true wireless) to H95 as I feel mid-bass is slightly lacking on H95! And listening to H95, I feel it doesn't give out splashy enough cymbal strikes to my liking(comparing with H9i and MEST IEM). What I do like about H95 is the sub-bass presence, build quality, battery life and volume/ANC dial so i decided to keep it. It didn't wow me considering its price, but I am content with it.

Dec 30, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #889 of 2,079
I'm listening to the excellent Citizen Erased by Muse (from Origin of Symmetry album) and comparing the h95 with the APM. I'm sorry saying this but the APM sounding like muddy mess. With the h95 the track is listenable and actually is enjoyable, with more details present and the good music 'surviving' for the ears. Is important mentioning that in this album the recording is like live in the studio so that musicians having the vibe and good connection necessary even if the sound at the end isn't great (dynamic range is very low). BUT, this (live in studio) performance is great.

Dec 30, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #891 of 2,079
I'm listening to the excellent Citizen Erased by Muse (from Origin of Symmetry album) and comparing the h95 with the APM. I'm sorry saying this but the APM sounding like muddy mess. With the h95 the track is listenable and actually is enjoyable, with more details present and the good music 'surviving' for the ears. Is important mentioning that in this album the recording is like live in the studio so that musicians having the vibe and good connection necessary even if the sound at the end isn't great (dynamic range is very low). BUT, this (live in studio) performance is great.
Intrigued :) I will visit Apple Store for some test listening to decide if worth to try :)

Dec 30, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #892 of 2,079

Now this is music. Real music. A shame about the dynamic range. Some of the live performances of this track sound pretty good.

Dec 30, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #893 of 2,079
I bought a B&O H95 about a week ago. I have a Sennhaiser Momentum 3 too and I’m testing both headphones to choose which one I will keeping.
I wear eye glasses, and I noticed a slight lack of low end (sub bass) frequencies when I’m wearing glasses. At first, it seemed to me that the problem was more evident in H95, but testing more the headphones I noticed that also Momentum 3 are lacking those frequencies, more slightly only because M3 have less sub basses than H95.
This problem occurred seriously with my Bower and Wilkins PX (because of the shape of the pads), that I gave to my daughter for that reason.
In H95 (and in M3) it is less audible but still slightly annoying.
Have you experienced such a thing?
Some advice?
The H95’s pads are very soft, is it possible an improvement over time, using it?
Thank you :)

Dec 31, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #894 of 2,079
The H95’s pads are very soft, is it possible an improvement over time, using it?
Ciao, sVic!

I hear you about this, as I wear (sun)glasses too sometimes...
Fact is, specs are a hot PITA with more or less _any_ kind of pads.
The only kind that gave me virtually zero frequency leakage (but also some kind of damped sound I'm not a fan of) had been soft velour ones. I'd never dare any DYI with the H95's pads try replace the default ones with velours... I usually get messy at doing such things! But you could give it a go if you feel you're crafty enough... I think Brainwavz excellent pads for Audio Technica ATH M50x should fit the H95's frames actually! Hmm...
Other than that, I think that the H95 are being extremely generous to glasses: the couple of pairs I use have fairly thin legs (my "O" shades in particular, with their millimeter-flat aluminum legs, love 'em!) and I'm able to put them on and off without even adjusting the headphones' fit. Feeling just like day-1 after three months.
Terrific pads, if you ask me, and smelling good too. =)) I honestly doubt that any leather pads could deliver better than that!
Aye, you definitely can't say the same about B&W PX's, right?! Quality ones, but way too stiff not to leak with glasses on!
But great as a backup set when I wake up wanting "some recessed bass", specs or not, lol.

Dec 31, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #895 of 2,079
Another great "played live" album is the first and self-titled Rage Against the Machine. But get the original release, and avoid the 20th anniversary and other dynamically copressed re-issues.

The Audio Fidelity SACD is quietly mastered, but the best release of them all. The H95 can play it loud enough.

Even better "played live" is Sneakin' Sally Though the Alley, Robert Palmer. Very different to the above: but it is various members of Little Feat, Steely Dan, The Metors just jamming beneath Mr Palmer's first album warbling.

Dec 31, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #896 of 2,079
Other than that, I think that the H95 are being extremely generous to glasses: the couple of pairs I use have fairly thin legs (my "O" shades in particular, with their millimeter-flat aluminum legs, love 'em!) and I'm able to put them on and off without even adjusting the headphones' fit. Feeling just like day-1 after three months.
Terrific pads, if you ask me, and smelling good too. =)) I honestly doubt that any leather pads could deliver better than that!
Thank you for you reply.
The legs of my glasses are not very thin, maybe that's why I hear slight difference in sound, although when I wear the H95 with glasses it seem that they do enough seal (they let very little ambient noise through), not as the PX for example.
I hope that with time the pads soften further, to offer finally the proper seal, if that's the case.

Jan 1, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #897 of 2,079
Another great "played live" album is the first and self-titled Rage Against the Machine. But get the original release, and avoid the 20th anniversary and other dynamically copressed re-issues.

The Audio Fidelity SACD is quietly mastered, but the best release of them all. The H95 can play it loud enough.

Even better "played live" is Sneakin' Sally Though the Alley, Robert Palmer. Very different to the above: but it is various members of Little Feat, Steely Dan, The Metors just jamming beneath Mr Palmer's first album warbling.
Thanks for Sneakin’ Sally. Didn’t know it. Sounds great - also on H95 :beyersmile:

Jan 2, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #898 of 2,079
Thanks for Sneakin’ Sally. Didn’t know it. Sounds great - also on H95 :beyersmile:

Cheers.

It may not be the highest fidelity recording ever, but perhaps because of that it captures the interplay of the musicians better than almost any pop music album I've heard. I use the final track as a test track for music ability on all gear I listen to.

It helps that the likes of Bernard Purdy, Gordon Edwards, Lowell George etc, are such giant talents almost no body's heard of.

If you like that, try King Curtis, Live at Fillmore West. Same drummer, and some other talent. Track 2 you will know if you've watched Withnail and I movie...

Jan 4, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #899 of 2,079
Here is a copy of my post in the AirPod Max Thread:

„My AirPods Max arrived today, 3 days earlier than expected. My first impression after intensive testing: With the use of my own audiogram under Accessibility / Headphone Accomodations, I can almost reach the sound quality of my B&O H95. (My own audiogramm is very similiar to the Setting „Brightness" set to "slight" in the Headphone Accomodations options under Accessibility). The B&O may play a bit more harmoniously and confidently, and that without EQ. The APM manage ANC and especially the transparency mode better than the H95, I hardly hear the espresso machine in ANC mode and I hear the Machine very well in transparency mode. Carrying comfort is better with the H95 and also the operation with the turning wheels. With the AirPods Max, I accidentally adjust the volume when putting it on and taking it off or press accidentally the crown. A lot has already been written about the case. Certainly ok for storage at home, for transport ... rather not. It is absolutely annoying that the ear shells click together like two boule Balls when you take them out. This is where the H95 scores with its elegant case and collapsible design. The APM are unbeaten when it comes to connectivity. Switching between different iPhones, Apple Watch and iPad works without any problems. I often had to renew the Bluetooth connection on the H95. These are my First impression. For the moment I think I will keep both.“

Jan 4, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #900 of 2,079
Here is a copy of my post in the AirPod Max Thread:

„My AirPods Max arrived today, 3 days earlier than expected. My first impression after intensive testing: With the use of my own audiogram under Accessibility / Headphone Accomodations, I can almost reach the sound quality of my B&O H95. (My own audiogramm is very similiar to the Setting „Brightness" set to "slight" in the Headphone Accomodations options under Accessibility). The B&O may play a bit more harmoniously and confidently, and that without EQ. The APM manage ANC and especially the transparency mode better than the H95, I hardly hear the espresso machine in ANC mode and I hear the Machine very well in transparency mode. Carrying comfort is better with the H95 and also the operation with the turning wheels. With the AirPods Max, I accidentally adjust the volume when putting it on and taking it off or press accidentally the crown. A lot has already been written about the case. Certainly ok for storage at home, for transport ... rather not. It is absolutely annoying that the ear shells click together like two boule Balls when you take them out. This is where the H95 scores with its elegant case and collapsible design. The APM are unbeaten when it comes to connectivity. Switching between different iPhones, Apple Watch and iPad works without any problems. I often had to renew the Bluetooth connection on the H95. These are my First impression. For the moment I think I will keep both.“

I think is a good idea too and maybe more helpful that you giving your impressions of the sound comparing the factory sound of the 2 headphones because the audiogram with the APM is personal for every person and the headphone accommodation settings too of the APM. This is similar like saying the you liking the h95 (a lot) with modifications using the b&o EQ in the app.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back