NEW Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95 ANC Headphones - Reviews & Impressions
Dec 3, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #721 of 2,077
What I do not like: I am not fan of super-flat sound and I have some other stuff from B&O and I like how they sound: now I have two B&O speakers and three headsets. Most of all I like the sound of Beoplay A9 speaker with it's default sound signature. But this model (H95) has just too bright trebles. It is over-bright even for B&O. In some songs it is so annoying that I can only skip them :frowning2: (For example "The Glitch Mob — We Can Make The World Stop", "Laura Pergolizzi — Muddy Waters" or "Aurora — Running With The Wolves" ).

I find the highs a bit muted on H95, could be because my MEST IEMs have perfect highs. Also H9i has very splashy treble as compared to H95. Funny how sound can be so personal...

I also have Bluetooth issues with my Windows PC where H95 stops playing audio or it would not register play/pause touch responses...No such issues on my H9i.

Dec 4, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #722 of 2,077
Ok unfortunately that means that you currently do not hear the H95 at its full potential. I also have an iPhone XR, but I never use it for music purposes simply because the AAC codec operates (although very efficiently) only at 250kbps. APTX-HD offers more bandwith and the possibility to stream at 24bit/48Mhz

The qualification "made for Ipad iPhone and iPods" only says something about compatibility, not about sound quality. SQ unfortunately is defined by the maximum capabilities of the source material (spotify 320kbps versus Tidal or Qobuz 24/96) and the maximum capabilities of the codec (maximum bitrate / sample frequency) ..

Rule-of-thumb:
Codecs and Bitrates Comparison
  • AAC: 250 kbps
  • SBC: 328 kbps
  • aptX: 352 kbps
  • aptX HD: 576 kbps
  • LDAC: 990 kbps

The information you giving about AAC is incorrect. First, is not 250 kbps but 256 kbps the max, but this is only for iTunes Plus. With Apple devices you can having AAC with maximum of 320 kbps if you convert your CDs to max bitrate possible in AAC.

Dec 4, 2020 at 3:11 AM Post #723 of 2,077
The information you giving about AAC is incorrect. First, is not 250 kbps but 256 kbps the max, but this is only for iTunes Plus. With Apple devices you can having AAC with maximum of 320 kbps if convert your CDs to max bitrate possible in AAC.

Thanks for that. I was not aware of that being the case .. I have left the IOS platform so long ago for other things than work that I did not know about this evolution. In that sense I must admit that audio reproduction over the various available technologies has really developed a long way and nowadays has reached really enjoyable quality levels .. Even though I am not ready to ditch my wired headphones for good yet, I really am enjoying myself with my SA50 and H95 over LDAC and APTX-HD :)

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #724 of 2,077
What I do not like: I am not fan of super-flat sound and I have some other stuff from B&O and I like how they sound: now I have two B&O speakers and three headsets. Most of all I like the sound of Beoplay A9 speaker with it's default sound signature. But this model (H95) has just too bright trebles. It is over-bright even for B&O

I only have the beoplay A1 1gen speaker and the sound is really great EXCEPT for the treble that is lacking detail and good timbre, and other similar speakers in this price (bose for example and jbl) are better in treble but not other aspects. The new A1 2gen that is coming out few months ago fixing the treble problem of 1gen but the bass and soundstage isn't so good like before, so I returning the A1 2gen because the complete sound isn't so enveloping like A1 1gen.

And it is impossible to correct with EQ in B&O application because this over-brightness located higher then ~14KHz and if I decrease trebles then 8-12Khz diapason becomes underexposed. But 14Khz still sounds over-bright even after any EQ corrections.

Is strange that you saying 14 khz in h95 is so problematic for you. 14 khz in treble is what is giving sound more air. The real problems with headphones that having problematic treble is happening between 3-8 kHz.

My opinion is that you're coming from a dark / warm sound of the h6 and this is why the h95 treble is sounding wrong for you. The frequency graphs is clearly showing this big difference. One or two people here that coming from more bright headphones are saying that the h95 isn't sufficient bright! For me the h95 treble is excellent and only, for me, the shure sa50 treble is just a little better, more correct.

I will putting your impressions in post #2 of this thread.

And I have some connection-issues with my macbook pro 13.3". Sometimes it disconnects without any reason and I have to switch them off and turn on again to solve it. What it can be? It seems that they work better with iPhone bluetooth. Has anyone had this problem before?

I have 16-inch macbook pro and in 3 months I only having one time when the bt connection is lost.

Thanks for that. I was not aware of that being the case .. I have left the IOS platform so long ago for other things than work that I did not know about this evolution. In that sense I must admit that audio reproduction over the various available technologies has really developed a long way and nowadays has reached really enjoyable quality levels .. Even though I am not ready to ditch my wired headphones for good yet, I really am enjoying myself with my SA50 and H95 over LDAC and APTX-HD :)

For a long time the implementation of AAC in Apple devices is famous for being excellent, in many cases better than aptx in other devices. This is one reason why the specific "Mastered for iTunes" albums are not only excellent in dynamic range but in sound quality at 256 kbps.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 3:55 AM Post #725 of 2,077
Is strange that you saying 14 khz in h95 is so problematic for you. 14 khz in treble is what is giving sound more air. The real problems with headphones that having problematic treble is happening between 3-8 kHz.

My opinion is that you're coming from a dark / warm sound of the h6 and this is why the h95 treble is sounding wrong for you. The frequency graphs is clearly showing this big difference. One or two people here that coming from more bright headphones are saying that the h95 isn't sufficient bright! For me the h95 treble is excellent and only, for me, the shure sa50 treble is just a little better, more correct.

I will putting your impressions in post #2 of this thread.

I have 16-inch macbook pro and in 3 months I only having one time when the bt connection is lost.

For a long time the implementation of AAC in Apple devices is famous for being excellent, in many cases better than aptx in other devices. This is one reason why the specific "Mastered for iTunes" albums are not only excellent in dynamic range but in sound quality at 256 kbps.

I must admit that I am a bit spoiled with the Bluetooth quality in my FiiO M15.. 🔥

Dec 4, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #726 of 2,077
When i mentioned that Android users have so much trouble was referring back to when they didn't know how to set up their Bluetooth Headphone. I had same problem when i bought the Blackberry which is possible to work with my Airpods.
Ha... just found out why people say the Headphone needs max volume. Even on iPhone. it seems that the Device volume and Headphone volume is seperated. You can adjust the headphone volume by turning the volume ring on the right side. I guess that the setup really is that the Headphone act as a Receiver and DAC and AMP like discussed here.

Dec 4, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #727 of 2,077

I don't even want to compare this sound signature with any headset. I just naturally compare how real instruments should sound. And I attend a lot of acoustic concerts and I can easily imagine how real strings and guitar or drums should sounds. After all I played drums some time in a rock band. So I've never heard such bright hights from any real instrument. For example hi hat — it just doesn' have this kind of harmonics in trebles at all. It sounds completely different in real life. But in some tracks hi-hat in H95 has a sound similar to the squeak of car brakes. It just unnatural and all other models of headphones doesn't matter here. But with my easy tweak with cotton pads and EQ this artefacts partially hide in other sounds and overall sound image becomes more real. :)

Dec 4, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #728 of 2,077
After the short burn in. Listened to it in store is fine. But weirdly listening at home, i didn't like it more than when i first got it. Sigh... requested to set up return. I didn't really budget for it in the first place. I might go for the True Wireless Shure adapter next to hook up my 846. I will probably retire from B&O products for the foreseeable future after this disappointment.

Dec 4, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #729 of 2,077
After all I played drums some time in a rock band. So I've never heard such bright hights from any real instrument.
But in some tracks hi-hat in H95 has a sound similar to the squeak of car brakes.

I working many years as taxi driver. This is probably why I loving so much the sound of "squeak of car brakes"

Dec 5, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #730 of 2,077
Hi all,

Just got these headphones and am really loving them. They have a great balanced sound with a nice wide soundstage. The noise cancelling function works very well, perhaps a step behind my 1000xm4s but really not too far behind. The sound is on another level to the Sony's that sound somewhat muffled in comparison. I have the MW65 headphones and I think these sound better than those and have a far superior NC ability. I haven't tried the Shure A50s.... but the H95's do sound very good. They may be slightly elevated in the treble region... but does depend on your preference. If you run them wired through a headphone amp they are really capable of sounding quite amazing. I've tried a lot of NC headphones and I really love these. Are they worth the money - well they are very very good..... but If I had to judge what I think they should sell for I would say about 800 to 900 AUD...... But I did not regret paying more for the sound quality and the building materials. They are also very comfortable, even though they are a little weighty, you can wear them for hours at at a time. Hope that helps anyone who may be on the fence........... :)

Dec 5, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #731 of 2,077
The information you giving about AAC is incorrect. First, is not 250 kbps but 256 kbps the max, but this is only for iTunes Plus. With Apple devices you can having AAC with maximum of 320 kbps if you convert your CDs to max bitrate possible in AAC.

If we‘re talking about Bluetooth connections I think AAC uses 256kbps max, but this has nothing to do with iTunes Plus (which sells audio files encoded with AAC at 256kbps, correct).

AAC as a format seems to support higher bitrates as well when used to encode files. I don’t think the configuration used for Bluetooth connections does though.

Nevertheless to me it’s a very good compromise between audio quality and connection stability, which is a major factor when on the go given the sheer number of wireless headphones in use.

Dec 5, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #732 of 2,077
Found this website and tested out my Shure 846 with BT2 Bluetooth, H95 and H9i.
https://www.whathifi.com/us/features/10-best-tracks-to-test-your-headphones

As expected. The conclusion is H95 is good with soundstage and orchestra, you do feel like the instruments are playing together and not like a bunch of instruments mashed together like the 846. But i suspect that the H95 has not run in yet as the H95 sounds much restrained while the H9i sound much more free even though there is less detail, etc on the H9i.
However, this track Ólafur Arnalds – Ljósi∂
it really show what makes the 846 shine compare with H95. This track is to test the subtlety of the violin and piano. The H95 may be still in run in, thus not as clear. But 846 is not leaving anything behind. H9i, ... no comment hahaha

Dec 5, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #733 of 2,077
How can I tell if aptX Adaptive is working? My android device says it's using aptX HD. I'm curious weather I can get the 80ms advertised low-latency for casual gaming (e.g. Sonic 2 for android, or beat stomper).

Also, side question, what is the voice codec that is being used, is it mSBC?

In most Android devices you can find which codec is in use by activating the devoper settings. There's a section in their that list the Bluetooth options. On my FiiO M15 it is in fact included in the standard settings where they list the active codec in the taskbar :)

Dec 5, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #734 of 2,077
Found this website and tested out my Shure 846 with BT2 Bluetooth, H95 and H9i.
https://www.whathifi.com/us/features/10-best-tracks-to-test-your-headphones

As expected. The conclusion is H95 is good with soundstage and orchestra, you do feel like the instruments are playing together and not like a bunch of instruments mashed together like the 846. But i suspect that the H95 has not run in yet as the H95 sounds much restrained while the H9i sound much more free even though there is less detail, etc on the H9i.
However, this track Ólafur Arnalds – Ljósi∂
it really show what makes the 846 shine compare with H95. This track is to test the subtlety of the violin and piano. The H95 may be still in run in, thus not as clear. But 846 is not leaving anything behind. H9i, ... no comment hahaha

Interesting.. As I was contemplating that myself, getting a pair of 846 plus BT2😇

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back