NEW Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95 ANC Headphones - Reviews & Impressions
Dec 8, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #752 of 2,078
Perfect timing with the Airpod Max announcement. I just returned the H95 yesterday. This one actually priced at what i think the H95 should be. I won't be able to do Side by side comparison when i get this one next week. But i will use the same site that i found on weekend to test this one. Now i don't feel so bad with the H95 ordeal. Cause i won't have to decide if i should get H95 or the Apple one. After testing out the H95, they are not worth their price.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #753 of 2,078
Dec 8, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #754 of 2,078
Going by the marketing text and photos I don't think B&O has an audiophile audience in mind with the H95... which is not to imply that they sound bad, but that they may just not play the audiophile game. The other model mentioned (H6?) may simply target another audience and I don't think it tells anything about the H95.

In principle with wireless headphones (with or without ANC) there is no such thing as audiophile. The simple fact of having to transmit audio over a lossless codec is kind of obstructing here. There are definitely headphones however that come damn close to being able to qualify them as audiophile. I definitely think that some headphones such as the Hifiman Ananda BT, but also headphones such as the Shure Aonic 50, the DALI IO-6, the Master & Dynamic MW65, the Sennheiser Momentum Wireless 3 and perhaps some others come pretty damn close.... And while it is a matter of taste, I definitely think the H95 belong in that list.

Dec 8, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #755 of 2,078
In principle with wireless headphones (with or without ANC) there is no such thing as audiophile. The simple fact of having to transmit audio over a lossless codec is kind of obstructing here. There are definitely headphones however that come damn close to being able to qualify them as audiophile. I definitely think that some headphones such as the Hifiman Ananda BT, but also headphones such as the Shure Aonic 50, the DALI IO-6, the Master & Dynamic MW65, the Sennheiser Momentum Wireless 3 and perhaps some others come pretty damn close.... And while it is a matter of taste, I definitely think the H95 belong in that list.
I don't know all the discussion with the H6. All i can say is that it brings back memories. It was one of the best upgrade that i ever got. It is probably the best closed back cheaper headphone back in the days.

Dec 8, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #756 of 2,078

*sigh* Wireless audio over bluetooth can already measure decently, as in artefacts / distortion / noise floor is below what most people will be able to hear... provided the implementation is done correctly. Linked again here, an example of both how to do wireless audio over bluetooth right, and wrong, and with the exact same codec :
https://www.soundguys.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-bluetooth-headphones-aac-20296/
It should be evaluated on a device pairing to device pairing basis, and not based on a codec or a bitrate. Ie both emitting + receiving device together.

Neither the Shure A50, nor the Dali, M3 and many other high-end ANC BT headphones on the market deserve to be highly considered given their FR curves.
It's completely pointless anyway to think that a wire is going to help pair of headphones that measure like this : https://www.dropbox.com/s/3i9rca7wu3iayl6/Sennheiser HD820.pdf?dl=0

Dec 8, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #757 of 2,078
Audiophile is a term used to describe a group of people who are not homogenous therefore there is nothing that can be used as the standard by which products are rated against. Who gets to say what audiophile really means? In the past it was represented as being neutral presentation with low distortion and a broad frequency response. That has shifted somewhat in recent years to be more accepting of those who like a little character introduced by their gear. So, how do we know if something is aimed at the "audiophile"? Is it simply based on overall sound quality or on the balance of the frequencies? If so, who decides what this really means? I am just posting this not that I feel it is so substantive, but to push back a little at the idea that there is actually a singular definition of what constitutes audiophile.

Dec 8, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #758 of 2,078
I definitely think that some headphones such as the Hifiman Ananda BT, but also headphones such as the Shure Aonic 50, the DALI IO-6, the Master & Dynamic MW65, the Sennheiser Momentum Wireless 3 and perhaps some others come pretty damn close.... And while it is a matter of taste, I definitely think the H95 belong in that list.

The h95 is clearly more audiophile in sound quality than the sennheiser momentum 3.

Dec 8, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #759 of 2,078

Yes, wireless and audiophile won't fit, but I had those models you named in mind (though I'd maybe exclude the Momentum, but that's maybe just personal taste), which at least take an aim at an audiophile signature. And yes, the H95 might well belong to that club as well.

Dec 8, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #760 of 2,078
Perfect timing with the Airpod Max announcement. I just returned the H95 yesterday. This one actually priced at what i think the H95 should be...After testing out the H95, they are not worth their price.

For you the h95 isn't worth the price; for many owners in this thread yes. For your information, here in Europe the AirPods Max (apm) costing 629 euros, that is $761 USD today. The h95 costing $800 USD in USA. Some differences, before comparing the sound, of new Apple apm and h95.

h95 having double battery life of apm.
h95 having leather earpads, apm don't.
h95 coming with high quality 3.5mm cable, usb-c cable and solid carry case. apm you needing buying the 3.5mm cable and probably a solid case because the case Apple showing isn't looking like is giving good protection.
The volume dial (like Apple Watch) of the apm is very good feature, but I think in real life use isn't so nice like the h95 big dial for the quick adjustment of (small) volume (steps).
If you aren't in Apple ecosystem, isn't looking like apm is offering more codecs than aac (and sbc).

Of course maybe some benefits that apm having than the h95 (we don't know yet). I'm curious too about the new apm, of course, specially because I have MacBook Pro, iPhone and iPad.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #761 of 2,078
For you the h95 isn't worth the price; for many owners in this thread yes. For your information, here in Europe the AirPods Max (apm) costing 629 euros, that is $761 USD today. The h95 costing $800 USD in USA. Some differences, before comparing the sound, of new Apple apm and h95.

h95 having double battery life of apm.
h95 having leather earpads, apm don't.
h95 coming with 3.5mm cable, usb-cable and solid carry case. apm you needing buying the 3.5mm cable and probably a solid case because the case Apple showing isn't looking like is giving good protection.
The volume dial (like Apple Watch) of the apm is very good feature, but I think in real life use isn't so nice like the h95 big dial for the quick adjustment of (small) volume (steps).
If you aren't in Apple ecosystem, isn't looking like apm is offering more codecs than aac (and sbc).

Of course maybe some benefits that apm having than the h95 (we don't know yet). I'm curious too about the new apm, of course, specially because I have MacBook Pro, iPhone and iPad.

That's going to be an interesting comparison for sure... but they somehow validate the H95's price. Other points I'm not so sure... 20h seems fully sufficient, in my experience I can live with anything >12h. Leather earpads... will be more sweat prone than those pads of the Max for sure. Cable... neither will work in passive mode, so the cable is of no use to me at least.
The case... yes. That one does not look good (and I'm not even talking about missing protection...), the one of the H95 is much better, albeit more bulky.
Volume dial... we'll see. At least there's no touch interface, which I dislike (and no, we won't discuss that again :wink:
Codecs... for Apple devices it's just fine, but Android will be mostly left out in the cold with AAC only (stated nowhere on the specs, but I guess that will be about it).

Dec 8, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #762 of 2,078
Leather earpads... will be more sweat prone than those pads of the Max for sure

Leather earpads for the majority of the people are better than artificial leather or fabric material. So, leather is generally better.

At least there's no touch interface, which I dislike (and no, we won't discuss that again :wink:

You know I'm not agree with you here, specifically with the h95 touch interface (not other headphones with touch interface that I don't liking like h8, h9). Of course we can discussing this again and again....and again, but you must trying h95 first! :)

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #763 of 2,078
Leather earpads for the majority of the people are better than artificial leather or fabric material. So, leather is generally better.

No. Thats a generalization, and I don't think its even near the truth.

You know I'm not agree with you here, specifically with the h95 touch interface (not other headphones with touch interface that I don't liking like h8, h9). Of course we can discussing this again and again....and again, but you must trying h95 first! :)

As I said, no use to discussing that again. I'm quite happy the AirPods Max don't involve a touch interface, and I care more about that than the H95. After the Max coming out I don't think I'll take the time to try out the H95 anymore.

Dec 8, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #764 of 2,078
After the Max coming out I don't think I'll take the time to try out the H95 anymore.

This really making me extremely, extremely sad.

Dec 8, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #765 of 2,078
This really making me extremely, extremely sad.

In better times I‘d already have done so... but we just had another 3 weeks of lockdown in Austria, which makes things complicated unfortunately. Plus I‘ll once again put a stop to buying new models anyway. When things get better I think I‘ll come around to giving it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back