NEW Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95 ANC Headphones - Reviews & Impressions
Nov 29, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #691 of 2,070
Hi @Verificateur
I think your guess may be correct, with electronics entering some sleep state after 20sec without signal. While I don’t own the H95, I think many (most?) Bluetooth headphones are not completely silent when idle, under some circumstances.

Does this hinder your usage of the H95? As I understand your post there are no ill effects during playback?

Nov 30, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #692 of 2,070
@angelom My first impressions still are a bit mixed .. Sometimes the H95 really shine, other times the SA50 performs better .. But then again, I am always using the SA50 on LDAC ... At their theoretical 990kbps max bitrate

Since you have the SA50 and the H95, I am curious if you would still be of the opinion that the H95 sounds better than the SA50, even if you put them both in their individual maximum codec capability (SA50 on LDAC and H95 on APTX-HD)?

I am asking because I find that on itself the SA50 on LDAC definitely is an improvement over APTX-HD

Nov 30, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #693 of 2,070
@angelom My first impressions still are a bit mixed .. Sometimes the H95 really shine, other times the SA50 performs better .. But then again, I am always using the SA50 on LDAC ... At their theoretical 990kbps max bitrate

Since you have the SA50 and the H95, I am curious if you would still be of the opinion that the H95 sounds better than the SA50, even if you put them both in their individual maximum codec capability (SA50 on LDAC and H95 on APTX-HD)?

I am asking because I find that on itself the SA50 on LDAC definitely is an improvement over APTX-HD

Hello WDitters.

I selling my sa50 in July specially after problems with the artificial leather making my ears hot and sometimes sweating, and other more small problems like not sufficient volume steps in the volume buttons, not possible folding the headphone (and big case too) that is't good fro travels, and some little construction problems like the noise I hearing always when rotating the ear cups.

So, in the end of July or beginning of August I buying again (second time) the momentum 3 because is having leather earpads and a new simple and effective 3-band eq that helping me reduce the bass of the m3. But I having BIG problems with the volume buttons that are worse than the sa50 buttons and is driving me crazy.

Then soon I hearing about a new b&o flagship, so I returning the m3 and I waiting for h95. Now I having with me with me h95, sony xm3 (that I'm trying selling, I only buying for excellent anc not for the sound), the p7 wireless (that I don't want selling) and other wired headphones.

So, I can't comparing the sa50 and h95 directly, and my MacBook Pro only doing normal aptx, not apt-hd. So, my comparisons and comments are always from my memory of the sa50. I think the sa50 is having little more correct treble performance than h95, but only a little (the h95 I never describing as warm or dark). But with the same codecs in my iPhone and MacBook Pro I think the h95 is offering better, more realistic, balance in the complete frequency spectrum than sa50.

EDIT. Because you having time for returning the h95, maybe is a good idea using only the h95 for 3 days maybe? Then later you can comparing the 2 headphones again. You spending a long time with dali-o6 and sa50 so you ears are listening to similar sound for a long time. But you probably knowing this from your past experience...

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #694 of 2,070
But you probably knowing this from your past experience...

Yep .. .Anyway, I will be doing a bit of A/B testing myself over the next week or two. No need for me to return the H95, I got them at 499 euros anyway. So no pain in keeping them longer.

Nov 30, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #696 of 2,070
Nov 30, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #697 of 2,070
Thank you everyone for your responses, it's so nice to be able to ask questions and communicate with other half way across the world about a common subject. :beerchug:

@plakat You are correct. This buzzing phenomenon isn't hindering my typical music-listening enjoyment...however low noise floor is very important to me, especially after having not so much luck with some other bluetooth headphones.
The buzzing / bluetooth noise can be heard in very specific circumstances, for example when listening to podcast at a low volume, in a quiet environment, with Max ANC on.
One can argue that in that situation you don't need 'Max ANC' on, but... here is a theoretical/practical scenario.

@Thrifty Spender Sorry I cannot speak specifically to Shure 846, but I am very happy with H95's sound quality compared to the lowly Shure 215. I am equally as happy with the comfort while wearing them for long stretches of time. You mentioned AirPods Pro, and that's interesting because that's what I am planning on complementing the H95s with. AirPods for outdoors, H95 for home perhaps. I also have Sony XM4 and now I need to decide whether or not I want to keep them due to their ANC.

Cheers!

Dec 1, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #698 of 2,070
@plakat You are correct. This buzzing phenomenon isn't hindering my typical music-listening enjoyment...however low noise floor is very important to me, especially after having not so much luck with some other bluetooth headphones.
The buzzing / bluetooth noise can be heard in very specific circumstances, for example when listening to podcast at a low volume, in a quiet environment, with Max ANC on.
One can argue that in that situation you don't need 'Max ANC' on, but... here is a theoretical/practical scenario.

I know how hard it can be to un-hear things like this... Especially if there are scenarios that lead you at least near the problem -- inevitably you'll start to look for that noise.
Maybe its the best to test them for some time, and get a feeling for how often you actually notice the noise with normal usage... I'm using my headphones only for EDM/electronica, so I seldom have quiet passages that are prone to showing a noise floor. Podcasts may of course make that much more explicit... Unfortunately I cannot name a model that's really dead quiet, but I have to admit that I never specifically listened for that either.

Dec 1, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #699 of 2,070
@plakat You were right, and so was @Verificateur, who pushed me to test a little further in a super-quiet environment (thank you for this, mate!)...
The triangle-wave, constant, high-pitched G note is what you called "the mosquito buzz"! It's there at max Transparency and it goes away after roughly half a minute after you pause reproduction, or if you flip down to Neutral, or ANC where you do get some moderate hiss and unnoticeable bluetooth crackling sound which I expected from any ANC gimmick anyway.
I'm hardly ever using the H95 at home, or in any quiet place where I'd probably just flip to Neutral Mode, so I've never noticed any of all this so far!
Does it bother me? Not at all. Am I returning the set? Never because of this, no way!
Should B&O know about this? Definitely, yes. That's why I'm going to politely report it to their (supposedly caring, despite what happened to @Higaida!) support center!
I'm somehow confident it's something that can get fixed through a firmware update. If they happen to care, once again. =) I'm fine anyway-

Dec 1, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #700 of 2,070
@plakat You were right, and so was @Verificateur, who pushed me to test a little further in a super-quiet environment (thank you for this, mate!)...
The triangle-wave, constant, high-pitched G note is what you called "the mosquito buzz"!
I'm somehow confident it's something that can get fixed through a firmware update. If they happen to care, once again. =) I'm fine anyway-
I claimed the "mosquito buzz" to that ANC ringing sound, forgot to add a flag so here it is 🚩 (lol j/k)
My H9i also has this buzz and I think it has to do with the ANC chip B&O uses.

Dec 1, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #701 of 2,070
I can hearing this problem with my h8 (on ears anc) very easy but not with the h95. With h95 all I can hearing is constant hiss (not loud) but this isn't changing when I pausing after 20, 30 or 60 seconds in both max anc or transparency.

I remember this 'problem' is happening not only with the h8, but with the h9 1gen, and maybe too with h9i. I remember very well this is much less happening with h9 3g when I buying and comparing directly with my h8 (that I having still today).

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #702 of 2,070
@Thrifty Spender Sorry I cannot speak specifically to Shure 846, but I am very happy with H95's sound quality compared to the lowly Shure 215. I am equally as happy with the comfort while wearing them for long stretches of time. You mentioned AirPods Pro, and that's interesting because that's what I am planning on complementing the H95s with. AirPods for outdoors, H95 for home perhaps. I also have Sony XM4 and now I need to decide whether or not I want to keep them due to their ANC.

The AirPods Pro is excellent anc iem, is very better than many people thinking, and is having excellent sound too.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #703 of 2,070
You mentioned AirPods Pro, and that's interesting because that's what I am planning on complementing the H95s with. AirPods for outdoors, H95 for home perhaps. I also have Sony XM4 and now I need to decide whether or not I want to keep them due to their ANC.

Cheers!

AirPods Pro are nice for phone calls, but in my opinion Sennheiser MTW2 sound a lot better than Airpods and have nearly as good call quality after latest firmware update.

Dec 1, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #704 of 2,070
AirPods Pro are nice for phone calls, but in my opinion Sennheiser MTW2 sound a lot better than Airpods and have nearly as good call quality after latest firmware update.

The AirPods Pro (APP) with factory sound are sounding better/more correct than mtw2, in my opinion, but the mtw2 having an eq app that helping making the sound better or for the taste of the user; the APP isn't having an eq. The microphone in the APP is better too and the transparency is better, very, very natural too, little better than the mtw2.

BUT the more big, BIG problem of the mtw2 is that the anc is complete rubbish, is like isn't exist. In contrast, the anc in the AirPods Pro is fantastic that competing with some of the best big headphones anc. The marketing from sennheiser of battery life of mtw2 isn't true, you never getting 7 hours, I obtaining 5,5 hours with no anc or transparency on, and with mid volume! The APP is more comfortable too because isn't going inside your ears but staying almost shallow and this is better for the ears. And the carrying case is many more portable than the case of the mtw2.

And if you're using the APP with Apple devices with more recent updates, you having more advantages too.

I returning the mtw2 only few days after I buying it.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #705 of 2,070
How can I tell if aptX Adaptive is working? My android device says it's using aptX HD. I'm curious weather I can get the 80ms advertised low-latency for casual gaming (e.g. Sonic 2 for android, or beat stomper).

Also, side question, what is the voice codec that is being used, is it mSBC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back