NEW Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95 ANC Headphones - Reviews & Impressions
Nov 27, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #677 of 2,078
Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #679 of 2,078
I'm not surprised about your opinion after I knowing very well how much you liking the dali-06 (I'm never sure before that you liking he sa50 more! I think you changing your preference for other problems of the dali-06).

I loved the DALI when they first came out as they were in my experience the first headphones that were less V-shaped and more musically realistic, more neutral than the rest.

Then came the Shure that provided a slightly better coherence between low mids and highs... They were a small but still significant improvement over the DALI.. At least for my taste :)...

However, both the DALI and the Shure were instantly pleasing (sound wise) from the first time I put them on.. With the H95 however, that fresh out of the box instant satisfying experience (sound wise) was not there (yet)..

But as said, I am not in a hurry. In my experience the DALI and the Shure both improved with use (even if the concept of burn-in remains highly arbitrary) so I am perfectly OK with waiting and seeing if the H95 also improve with use (or my brain gets used to them).. I will put them through the extract same routine of burn-in track as I always do :)

To be continued :)

Nov 27, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #681 of 2,078
Yeah, I did manage to get boring coloured before they gone, but glamorous was at time of my post still available.

Is ok, the majority of the owners of h95, like me, having the 'boring' black colour. :)

Nov 27, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #682 of 2,078
Is ok, the majority of the owners of h95, like me, having the 'boring' black colour. :)

That's at least an aspect I love about the H95.. One might call the black edition boring, in black I find them brilliantly cool, subtle, understated and stylish.. And they ooze quality... Way better than the Gold or even Grey Mist editions..

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #683 of 2,078
I have the H95 in boring black color as well. It has also been the one that is mostly out of stock on USA B&O site. Flashy Golden color is not my thing and White didn't appeal me much.

I do wish however that the touchpad with B&O logo on right and the left non touch had a contrasting Silver color like H9i. Currently, I just picked the less Meh color, lol

It is also funny that there is no Black Friday sale on B&O's site in the country that started this Black Friday sale tradition

Nov 28, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #684 of 2,078
One might call the black edition boring, in black I find them brilliantly cool, subtle, understated and stylish.. And they ooze quality... Way better than the Gold or even Grey Mist editions..

I'm agree with your definition of the 'boring' black colour. For me is the best of the 3 colours. The only (small) thing I changing, if I'm part of the design department, is making the b&o logo more small and/or a little more dark. But this is really irrelevant for what is 99% a beautiful design in black with excellent construction quality. And I'm not tired of repeating that the implementation of the volume dial (after almost 3 months) is impressing me still...the user experience in this aspect isn't comparable, even close, by all the many other headphones I trying in the past.

Nov 28, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #685 of 2,078
Took me almost one day to read the full 46 pages of posts. I actually ordered the H95 after looking at my H9i over a month thinking that there is a better B&O out there. Anyway long story short. My range of headphones are these. longs of sony inears (all their wires broke, yeah won't ever even think of getting those over $1000 sony inear now)-> Panasonic RP-HTX7 (excellent for it's price enjoyed it for forgot how long) -> B&O H6 (excellent, I think that it was a big upgrade from the Panasonic then) ->Beyerdynamic A200P DAC (for the H6, loved the combo, forgot how long before wanting to upgrade)->Shure 846+existing A200P (nothing really beats this combo except that it feels like there is no soundstage with the Shure but there seems to be some compatibility issues with iphone soon+lots of cables make this not feasible)->B&O H9i (my first Bluetooth Headset, absolutely loved it, I didn't expect it to be even close to my Shure. But It was still 'just $599 CAD' then, less than half the price of my Shure) -> Apple AirPod (thought that i lost it, found it in recent months)-> B&O E8 (worst mistake in life, i think that all at least first gen are defective. Gave up after replacing first pair that was defective first month. As expected, the replacement is defective too. Gave up)-> Apple AirPod Pro (this is my favourite portable since H9i is more cumbersome in comparison, only issue is that it can't handle cold temperature. It makes this heavy buzz when temperature is low)->Shure BT2 bluetooth cable (love how i can rechain my 846 as a new "necklace" by spending about $60 CAD. Was really happy with it even though sound quality is no where near using actual cable even without external DAC but some bluetooth connectiivity flaw seems to have surfaced after a few months and in-ear without transparency modes, etc really is not very convenient, plus, I often like to take it off when i am around my family and put back on if i have a corner somewhere and take off again, in-ear is really not convenient)... now i just use the Airpod Pro for convenience, other than the updated Atmos feature of the Airpod Pro, there is no sound quality to speak off. After unearthing my original Airpod, i found that the Airpod actually sound better than the Pro.

Anyway, concern now is that since the price of the H95 is $1,100 CAD. I do want it to be at least comparable to my Shure 846. Is that a pipe dream? Good that people did already confirm that it is better than the H9i, so i don't have to worry about that front. You can say that they are totally different thing, in-Ear and Over-ear headphone. But to me, they are used for same thing playing music as best as they can. So for me, i need to compare them. My H95 may come in a week or two. I can't even cancel the stupid order. Hope to hear from you on comparing against something like 846.

Nov 28, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #686 of 2,078
Hi everyone!

I am a (mostly) happy H95 owner here checking in with a question, in the hopes that other H95 owners could test something on their headphones to see/confirm whether what I have noticed is normal (or not...).

Situation:

In a very quiet environment, during music playback at very low volume, and for 20 to 30 seconds after music has stopped playing, there is a faint but noticeable 'buzzing' / 'coil whine' / EMI-like noise that can be heard.

This noise is most noticeable in Max Transparency mode, and to a (much) lesser extent in Max ANC mode (if you listen really really closely). There is no faint buzzing noise in the 'neutral' mode.

The noise then goes completely away after the 20 to 30 seconds pass as long as nothing is playing (as if the headphones enter a 'standby' mode, and bluetooth deactivates or something along those lines).
Then, the noise resumes as soon as the headphones are engaged for playback.

Just to note, this noise is not to be confused with the normal ANC hissing that is present in Max ANC. I am aware that the hissing is a normal function of ANC, and H95's ANC hissing is actually far quieter than the Momentum 3 that I have had.

Question:
Would any H95 owners have a minute to test this? I would be most grateful, as I have observed this phenomenon on 2 separate pairs of H95, from separate batches. And now I am wondering if it's just me who is simply too sensitive to this, or if I got units that had a defect both times.

Specifically - could you find a super quiet space and put headphones in Max Transparency mode. Then start a song and pause. Are you able to hear this faint buzzing for the next 20 - 30 seconds that then goes away completely, and comes back if the song is played and paused again?

PS I would like to thank everyone in this thread for the super useful info and contributions, but especially angelom and Dolores Dolomites, you guys are amazing!

Thank you so much in advance!

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #687 of 2,078
Hi everyone!

I am a (mostly) happy H95 owner here checking in with a question, in the hopes that other H95 owners could test something on their headphones to see/confirm whether what I have noticed is normal (or not...).

Situation:

In a very quiet environment, during music playback at very low volume, and for 20 to 30 seconds after music has stopped playing, there is a faint but noticeable 'buzzing' / 'coil whine' / EMI-like noise that can be heard.

This noise is most noticeable in Max Transparency mode, and to a (much) lesser extent in Max ANC mode (if you listen really really closely). There is no faint buzzing noise in the 'neutral' mode.

The noise then goes completely away after the 20 to 30 seconds pass as long as nothing is playing (as if the headphones enter a 'standby' mode, and bluetooth deactivates or something along those lines).
Then, the noise resumes as soon as the headphones are engaged for playback.

Just to note, this noise is not to be confused with the normal ANC hissing that is present in Max ANC. I am aware that the hissing is a normal function of ANC, and H95's ANC hissing is actually far quieter than the Momentum 3 that I have had.

Question:
Would any H95 owners have a minute to test this? I would be most grateful, as I have observed this phenomenon on 2 separate pairs of H95, from separate batches. And now I am wondering if it's just me who is simply too sensitive to this, or if I got units that had a defect both times.

Specifically - could you find a super quiet space and put headphones in Max Transparency mode. Then start a song and pause. Are you able to hear this faint buzzing for the next 20 - 30 seconds that then goes away completely, and comes back if the song is played and paused again?

PS I would like to thank everyone in this thread for the super useful info and contributions, but especially angelom and Dolores Dolomites, you guys are amazing!

Hello Verificateur.

I following your instructions. I testing 2 times max transparency for 60 seconds each time (play, pause 60 seconds and play again); then 2 times max anc for 60 seconds each time; and then again 2 times max transparency for 60 seconds each time.

I don't hearing a difference in the sound in all the 60 seconds each time all of the 6 times i doing the tests. Maybe now and again I hearing a very, very faint type of 'bluetooth noise' but only two times max (really paying attention!), I think, and this sounds disappearing very quickly.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #688 of 2,078
Question:

Yeah I have a black H95 and also noticed this. It was more prominent on my H9i but not so much on H95. It also disappears quickly. I also hear this sound as soon as I turn on my H95 with no music playing. It is like a mosquito buzzing in your ear. Apparently this happens on all B&O Bluetooth headphones of H series and has to do with the way ANC chip calibrates is what I have heard.

Nov 29, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #689 of 2,078
@Verificateur: I also tested it in a very quite Environment. I tested it in different ways, playing music from my iphone with the B&O App opened or closed. Also tested it By playing music stored directly on my Apple Watch. In every case I only heard the typical slight noise of the transparency mode, which will disappear when you Switch into neutral mode. I did not hear any faint buzzing or mosquito buzzing. I also tried the H9i (in ANC Mode, because in Transparency Mode, the H9i stops playing music). Same thing there. (BTW: Just realized again, how much better the H95 sounds in comparison to H9i).

Nov 29, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #690 of 2,078
Hi, @Verificateur !
First things first: thank you for thanking me... You're very welcome!
In all honesty, I don't feel like I deserve it, being such an amazing _tool_ at this kind of things... But happy to know I might've been somehow helpful. (How?!). Hah. IDK...

Sow-uh... Through the testing I went as you indicated.
And here are the three non-microphonic "noises" my H95 unit makes in complete silence:

1) A subtle "plop", much like when you yawn after your ears get that dull pressure feeling when you change altitude, but to a much lesser degree: this happens when I use the left dial to change the ANC level. Despite the dial being continous, this is clearly a "ladder thing" and not a continous change.

2) A static, high-pitched G-note that becomes progressively more noticeable the more you reach towards maximum Transparency Mode. It completely disappears when down to Neutral, so it's probably related to the microphones which pick up the external sound.

3) A pink noise-like floor "wash" (also F#/G focused actually, and slightly "pumping" in amplitude... funny!) in Max ANC (no Automatic ANC engaged), which becomes less prominent once you turn towards Transparency. It basically gets unnoticeable two steps up from Max ANC.

I cannot hear (or can't notice) any of these noises while playing music even at low volume, except from the high-pitched Max Transparency Mode note, which only gets completely masked at moderate to high playing volume, also depending on the kind of music I'm listening to.
Whoa. Nothing to be mad at here. Really, nothing! =) In love with these 'phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back