NEW Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95 ANC Headphones - Reviews & Impressions
Jan 14, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #2,011 of 2,079
Already done! I have them and think they are awesome also, incredible for an in-ear.
Then their first HP = H6 (wired though)?

Jan 14, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #2,013 of 2,079
Specifically the 2nd gen, right? That version had some big hype on here iirc.
Have only the 1. gen (rose gold anniversary). 1. gen was a bit harder to drive, but sounds really good.
Now we better leave this off topic :) (H6 has a thread of its own)

Jan 14, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #2,014 of 2,079
I also tried
Beosound Explore
Beosound A1 gen2
Beosound Emerge
Beoplay Portal
If any of you are curious about those

Jan 14, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #2,015 of 2,079
off topic - but anyway - try their in ears: Beoplay EX - they are terrific (to my ears :))
So did I, I found them really good but not enough vs the AirPods Pro 2 to keep them.
SQ was slighlty better but losing all Apple ecosystem advantage.

EX1.png

Jan 14, 2024 at 8:40 PM Post #2,017 of 2,079
Oh yes, could say a few words on Explore and Emerge and tell us how Portal compares to H95 please ? :relieved:
Sure

Well, the first thing is it seems B&O tried for that same sound signature the H95 had in all these products, but for varying reasons the form factor prevents all of them from reaching those heights

B&O Portal (PS5/PC version; NOT the Xbox/PC version which has problems) - same basic sound signature except lacking a lot of the H95 bass. The Portal is much more comfortable than the H95 and works better than the H95 as a communication headset in gaming, work, and phone applications. I can wear the Portal literally all day at work with no issues, its that comfy; I assume the deep earcups is part of the reason the bass is less. The build is more plastic than the H95 but still solid. The Portal is really a do-it-all headphone - music, low latency gaming, zoom/teams, calls, etc - I bought two simply because of the combination of comfort, versatility, and quality makes me want to have multiple for different applications.

B&O Explore - the smallest, most portable, and worst sounding of the lot. This is really only worth buying for outdoor usage, because it is waterproof, dustproof, IP67 rated, and has aluminum shell - comes with a carabiner to attach to backpack hiking/camping and really that or the beach would be its best application. Indoors there are better options like the A1 gen2 or Emerge. Despite the size (about a soda can), it still does its best to attain the B&O sound signature. Very little bass, highs are a bit muffled. But still good. 360 degree sound from the sides, which also works better outdoors than the a1 gen 2 which depends more on wall reflections. Indoors the a1 gen2 definitely sounds better, though.

B&O Emerge - This is a remarkable piece of engineering. It has a tweeter near the top of the grill you see in the picture. The 3/4 bottom grill radiates sound from a side firing woofer inside the speaker (but the sides are sealed). So basically most of the sound appears to come out of that front slit and out of a back slit. As you might imagine, the sound is very directional unlike the a1 gen2 and the explore. In terms of quality, same signature but limited because of the enclosure. What makes it great is that its wifi connected and uses AC power, so it is a better permanent installation speaker than any of the others. I'd recommend getting two and pairing in stereo mode to overcome the directionality. They won't come close to matching a $1000/pr of box speakers in sound quality, but I am assuming if you are buying this you dont want a pair of box speakers. Plus the compact size allows for placement possibilities a box speaker wouldnt fit, and you get some added convenience with the wifi features.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #2,019 of 2,079
BTW, what's the difference between Beoplay Portal and Become Portal?
Just the aptX dongle that is provided?
And from a tech point of view what's the difference between the MS Teams and the UC version of the Become Portal?

Jan 16, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #2,020 of 2,079
BTW, what's the difference between Beoplay Portal and Become Portal?
Just the aptX dongle that is provided?
And from a tech point of view what's the difference between the MS Teams and the UC version of the Become Portal?
There are 3 versions of Portal:
1. Beoplay Portal PC/XBOX (Avoid! connectivity issues on Xbox, less features (no BT/dongle dual connect), no USB dongle for PC included)
2. Beoplay Portal PC/PS5 (Excellent - incl USB dongle for PC, BT/dongle dual connect)
3. Beocom Portal PC (Excellent - incl USB dongle for PC, BT/dongle dual connect)

Both #1 and #2 are now discontinued and can be found for ~$130 refurbed or $170 new on WOOT/Amazon if you keep your eyes open. #3 hardware wise is almost identical to #2, and is $550 new. #1 is not worth it, #2 is the best of the lot for most people in this forum IMO. My guess on why these were discontinued is that first Xbox revisions had problems and gave the line a bad name, and most gamers dont like a neutralish sound profile instead preferring heavy bass boost.

The difference between #2 Beoplay PS5/PC and #3 Beocom PC, is that the former #2 is optimized for low latency gaming and comes with a soft bag for storage; while the latter #3 is optimized for work communication and comes with teams/zoom certifications plus a soft case instead of a bag. So basically, if you are not buying this for work the Beoplay Portal PS5/PC is by far the best choice and can also be used for work as it has com EQ modes in the app if you wish to use those, plus works fine with zooms/team. The beocom portal has a few more zooms/teams features but unless you are hardcore zooms/team user its not worth the money over the now clearance ps5/pc portal.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #2,021 of 2,079
Thanks a lot @ruinedx for your thorough answer!

If I may: there are 2 versions of the Beocom model, one is MS Teams certified and the other is Zoom certified.

Did you compare the Portal to the AirPods Max from a comfort point of view?

Jan 16, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #2,022 of 2,079
Thanks a lot @ruinedx for your thorough answer!

If I may: there are 2 versions of the Beocom model, one is MS Teams certified and the other is Zoom certified.

Did you compare the Portal to the AirPods Max from a comfort point of view?
I tried them once and wasnt that impressed in any category. The Portal is the most comfortable headset I've ever used by far.

If you are interested woot still has the PC/Playstation beoplay portal new (in Grey only) for $169 with 30 day return policy no questions asked

I see no reason to get the beocom when that deal is still alive.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 8:44 PM Post #2,024 of 2,079
So Portal is more comfortable then the H95 in your opinion?

$169 is certainly an incredible deal but I'm based in Europe

The only thing missing vs the Beocom is the case.
Yes, in terms of comfort its not even close, portal much more comfortable. Not that the H95 is uncomfortable ,the portal is just excessively comfortable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back