NEW Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95 ANC Headphones - Reviews & Impressions
Aug 14, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #1,726 of 2,077
just out of interest, which mode are you using? wireless or usb-c on phones? the usb-c mode on the phone is very quiet because most phones are technically not powerful enough to drive it (like wired headphones, it needs an amp) so you either need to amp with software (thereby draining battery) or plugging into a power source. With wireless, apart from software volume delimiters, 60-70% is usually sufficient, even on old masters, 100% would be ear splitting for me 😅
On USB to USB, the phone is not driving the diaphragms on the headphones. The H95 has its own battery and amplifier, and the USB sends digital to the H95's DAC. If you find they are quieter on USB than BT, get developer mode activated on you android phone and fix it from there. Or use UAPP to better control the USB port.

Aug 14, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #1,727 of 2,077
Douglas McCarthy is unbelievably amazing singing live, and he was so raw and energetic when I saw Nitzer Ebb in a small club live in DC in the early 90's.... Ok, so it's time for me to download another version of Belief. Maybe mine is low? I'll try.
The Loudness database only has one version uploaded, and it is quite high dynamic range for the genre: https://dr.loudness-war.info/?artist=Nitzer Ebb

I tried it on Tidal, and 100% is bearable for a while but I have to turn it down a notch. You may be listening too loud? Careful, headphone are often so free of distortion that we don't notice how loud they are. Pete Townsend lost his hearing listening on headphones in the hotel rooms on tour, not because of the loud Who PA.

Try listening 2-3 notches lower than you are used to for a few weeks. Get used to that and see if full seems too loud after. It may save your hearing.

Aug 15, 2022 at 12:08 AM Post #1,728 of 2,077
The Loudness database only has one version uploaded, and it is quite high dynamic range for the genre: https://dr.loudness-war.info/?artist=Nitzer Ebb

I tried it on Tidal, and 100% is bearable for a while but I have to turn it down a notch. You may be listening too loud? Careful, headphone are often so free of distortion that we don't notice how loud they are. Pete Townsend lost his hearing listening on headphones in the hotel rooms on tour, not because of the loud Who PA.

Try listening 2-3 notches lower than you are used to for a few weeks. Get used to that and see if full seems too loud after. It may save your hearing.
It's an issue with the version I downloaded. It's not my hearing. I don't have an issue with the volume of the H95 on 90% of my collection. It's just that one out ten recordings that I have an issue with. The version of Belief I have is quieter than most of the albums in that genre that I have so I used it as an example. I turn it up to 100 percent and it's still too quiet. Other albums in the genre I listen around 75 percent and I'm good, so it's not my hearing. I only wish these cans had more headroom. I use the preamp and add a couple decibels and it's fine. I have to listen to BoC Music Has the Right to Children at around 85 percent. Mastered in 1999. Albums are just being mastered louder these days. Also as a side note, my Beoplay H9 3rd gen play Belief better, and also slightly louder.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #1,729 of 2,077
On USB to USB, the phone is not driving the diaphragms on the headphones. The H95 has its own battery and amplifier, and the USB sends digital to the H95's DAC. If you find they are quieter on USB than BT, get developer mode activated on you android phone and fix it from there. Or use UAPP to better control the USB port.
Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately I have an iPhone, and Apple limits power to the headphone via the adapter so I can't even get a sound out of it if not plugged into a (mobile) power source..

Aug 26, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #1,731 of 2,077
How big are the earpads on these (inner dimensions height x width)? And how deep are they? I currently have the Sony XM4 and the drivers always rest on my ears with the stock pads.

Aug 28, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #1,732 of 2,077
I just got my H95. I wonder if you're experiencing the same issue though - whenever I move e.g. from sitting to laying position with my headphones on I can hear a "click" sound sometimes (just a single sick) in the right earbud regardless if the headphones are turned on or not, so it's a mechanical thing. Has anyone experienced this too? It's not the end of the world, but it would be good to know if this is something that's just to the model or it's just my unit. It's only audible if I'm wearing them, not something that you can hear when just moving them around.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #1,733 of 2,077
I just got my H95. I wonder if you're experiencing the same issue though - whenever I move e.g. from sitting to laying position with my headphones on I can hear a "click" sound sometimes (just a single sick) in the right earbud regardless if the headphones are turned on or not, so it's a mechanical thing. Has anyone experienced this too? It's not the end of the world, but it would be good to know if this is something that's just to the model or it's just my unit. It's only audible if I'm wearing them, not something that you can hear when just moving them around.
Mine turned off when I moved my head around while laying down flat on my back.

Sep 9, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #1,736 of 2,077
After owning the B&O H95s for two weeks, I’ve returned mine. I would consider myself a B&O fanboy since the original H4, then to the H6 and transitioned to my first pair of BT ANCs to the H9i until the H95s. However, while the sound quality and the other typical B&O signature qualities were amazing, holistically, I don’t feel it feels anything more or “better” than my Airpods Max, especially when I’m neck deep in the Apple ecosystem. Listening to music between all my devices with the H95s were more inconvenient to me where it got to the point of annoyance due to the lack of its ability to seamlessly transition between my devices. I’m spoiled by the Airpods Max.

I was thinking of maybe keeping the H95s as part of my minimalistic collection, but the lack of passive listening and built-in DAC/DSP that’s essentially locked at 44.1kHz doesn’t really vibe with me, especially for the price. Therefore I’ve returned my H95s and used the funds towards my Focal Clear headphones for the same price has the H95s.

Sep 10, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #1,737 of 2,077
I have the same issue when I lean my head to the seat (?) so I think that's the design problem

The other issue is with not always working touch panel, but this seems to be popular issue
But do you hear it only in the right earbud, like me?
Regarding touch panel, yes, I've noticed that too, it has some issues sometimes.

Sep 14, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #1,738 of 2,077
After returning my H95 for the sin of not being loud enough, I've now ordered them again. I should have kept them longer because now I forget how they sound, and I want to give them another shot. Maybe it's the way memory works, we tend to mostly remember the best moments and forget about the rest, but I think I miss their sound. I remember a relaxed yet detailed and full sound, and their really comfortable ear pads. This was either a really bad decision or a really good one but I can't wonder anymore. I need to hear them again and this is the only way to know.

Sep 14, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #1,739 of 2,077
After returning my H95 for the sin of not being loud enough, I've now ordered them again. I should have kept them longer because now I forget how they sound, and I want to give them another shot. Maybe it's the way memory works, we tend to mostly remember the best moments and forget about the rest, but I think I miss their sound. I remember a relaxed yet detailed and full sound, and their really comfortable ear pads. This was either a really bad decision or a really good one but I can't wonder anymore. I need to hear them again and this is the only way to know.
I’m in a similar position as it happens. I sold mine a while back and I miss them so looking at buying them again too

Sep 14, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #1,740 of 2,077
I’m in a similar position as it happens. I sold mine a while back and I miss them so looking at buying them again too
So there's a chance I'm not crazy. Good. I really agonized over this decision, and then there's the whole color decision. I was about to get the Nordic Ice but I'm being told the leather is light purple? I can't do that. So I went with the Grey Mist. The pair I had before was Navy, which was nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back