NEW Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95 ANC Headphones - Reviews & Impressions
Aug 10, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #1,696 of 2,077
I found a shop with one on hand, interested in giving a pair a try.

What areas does Mark Levinson exceed the H95s?

The main aspect is the better sound of the 5909. And you have a better travelling case too, better (and more) quality cables, and you can using the 5909 passively (like normal not BT headphone, this meaning only using one of the 3 cables in the package without needing switching on the headphone).

EDIT: And you having more BT codecs in 5909 too.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #1,697 of 2,077
Hey everyone,

I'm thinking about picking up the H95, are they still top tier compared to the other BT ANC phones?

As others have said, the 5909 is better in sound. I also think it's better in comfort as well. I also wouldn't discount the Bowers & Wilkins PX7 S2 and upcoming PX8. The Sennheiser Momentum 4 is on the horizon and getting a lot of love. I have the Master & Dynamic MW75 on the way, and based on what I've read, they will surpass the H95s as well.

Aug 10, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #1,698 of 2,077
As others have said, the 5909 is better in sound. I also think it's better in comfort as well. I also wouldn't discount the Bowers & Wilkins PX7 S2 and upcoming PX8. The Sennheiser Momentum 4 is on the horizon and getting a lot of love. I have the Master & Dynamic MW75 on the way, and based on what I've read, they will surpass the H95s as well.
I like my H95 but I'm still within the return window. I've been searching for comparisons between them and MW75. Based on what you've read you say they will surpass the H95. I can't find anything except vague reviews that mention "great sound" and bad ANC performance for the MW75. Where have you read that the MW75 will beat the H95, because I want to order a set, but if the ANC is terrible I don't know if I should waste my time. There is scant first hand user info on the MW75 right now

Aug 10, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #1,699 of 2,077
I like my H95 but I'm still within the return window. I've been searching for comparisons between them and MW75. Based on what you've read you say they will surpass the H95. I can't find anything except vague reviews that mention "great sound" and bad ANC performance for the MW75. Where have you read that the MW75 will beat the H95, because I want to order a set, but if the ANC is terrible I don't know if I should waste my time. There is scant first hand user info on the MW75 right now
Take it with a grain of salt, but my opinion that the MW75 may be better is putting 2 and 2 together. So I read a couple of user reviews on Reddit that stated that the PX7 S2 is better in sound than the H95. When I read one of the publications that reviewed the MW75, can't remember which one, they stated that the MW75 was better in sound than the PX7 S2. Nothing concrete, but that's how I came to my conclusion. I've also seen a few reviews state that the PX7 S2 and Momentum 4 sound better than the AirPods Max. If this is indeed the case, then based on my experience comparing the H95 and AirPods Max and pretty much ranking them in the same tier of sound quality, that also leads me to believe that he MW75 will be a step up.

Also, Flossy Carter, a popular headphone reviewer, has the MW75 ranked as his favorite wireless ANC headphones for sound and build. He has ANC ranked high as well which is contradictory to some of the reviews out there. Now he's yet to rank the PX7 S2 or 5909, but he has the Momentum 4, which he loves, ranked lower in sound quality than the MW75.

None of this is concrete and I won't know for sure until my MW75s get here on Friday. But at least you now have an idea of how I came to my educated guess LOL.

Aug 10, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #1,700 of 2,077
Take it with a grain of salt, but my opinion that the MW75 may be better is putting 2 and 2 together. So I read a couple of user reviews on Reddit that stated that the PX7 S2 is better in sound than the H95. When I read one of the publications that reviewed the MW75, can't remember which one, they stated that the MW75 was better in sound than the PX7 S2. Nothing concrete, but that's how I came to my conclusion. I've also seen a few reviews state that the PX7 S2 and Momentum 4 sound better than the AirPods Max. If this is indeed the case, then based on my experience comparing the H95 and AirPods Max and pretty much ranking them in the same tier of sound quality, that also leads me to believe that he MW75 will be a step up.

Also, Flossy Carter, a popular headphone reviewer, has the MW75 ranked as his favorite wireless ANC headphones for sound and build. He has ANC ranked high as well which is contradictory to some of the reviews out there. Now he's yet to rank the PX7 S2 or 5909, but he has the Momentum 4, which he loves, ranked lower in sound quality than the MW75.

None of this is concrete and I won't know for sure until my MW75s get here on Friday. But at least you now have an idea of how I came to my educated guess LOL.
Thanks for that. I saw the Flossy review and he seemed to be overly jubilant about the ANC, saying it was "God tier". I think a lot of these youtube reviewers like to please companies to stay in their good graces and get more products to review. I get a sense that Flossy is mostly honest, but I'm suspicious about his characterization of the ANC on these considering the near unanimous opinion on other reviews that it doesn't measure up. Please get back to us when you get them about the sound and ANC. The build looks really nice, and most importantly durable

Aug 11, 2022 at 12:29 AM Post #1,702 of 2,077
H95 is the best. the best compare to any bluetooth headphone out there. everybody have their own taste. but, for me H95 is the best.
I love mine, but they can't play one of my favorite tracks. It's something to do with their Bluetooth signal processing I think. I've given up and just have to accept it for now, and hope the issue goes away with an update. Never had a problem like this with any other Bluetooth headphone. Other than that, these sound great. I love the very detailed, but non harsh sound signature.

Aug 11, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #1,703 of 2,077
I got the H95 tonight. I have a problem with them. They can't play the track "Stud" by Autechre from the Trip Repetae album. Not from the actual album, or even off YouTube. There's a terrible percussion distortion through most of the track. Anyone familiar with the track listening through these headphones would hear it. I need to know if it's just my pair of H95. Any Autechre fans or interested person who could help me here? Listen to the track. When the main percussion loop starts do you hear distortion? I'm mostly happy with these cans but I need some help here.
I'm not familiar at all with this song but listened to the beginning of the track and from min 4 to 6 from my iPhone on various platform first with the H95 in BT, then with the H95 wired then with wired headphones and finally with AirPods Pro and I must admit that I didn't hear any difference :grimacing:
Can you point me to a specific moment in the track where you hear distortion, I will test again.

Aug 11, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #1,704 of 2,077
I'm not familiar at all with this song but listened to the beginning of the track and from min 4 to 6 from my iPhone on various platform first with the H95 in BT, then with the H95 wired then with wired headphones and finally with AirPods Pro and I must admit that I didn't hear any difference :grimacing:
Can you point me to a specific moment in the track where you hear distortion, I will test again
Thank you. It's like an extra percussion sound, kind of a grinding sound. Starts at 19 seconds in. Interestingly I listen to the track on this other YouTube upload and it doesn't have it!

On this one, it does.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #1,705 of 2,077
Thank you. It's like an extra percussion sound, kind of a grinding sound. Starts at 19 seconds in. Interestingly I listen to the track on this other YouTube upload and it doesn't have it!

On this one, it does.

I listened to both version on YouTube and again on several streaming platform with the H95 and a wired pair of earphone.

I have even listened to the song ripped from a CD in FLAC format to be sure that it was not a bad version that was distributed to all streaming platforms as it can happen, and I suspect the following : the grinding sound, like you call it, is present on all versions but one : the first YouTube link; for me this grinding sound is part of the track and the H95 reproduce the sound correctly; on the first YouTube link you don't hear it (I just hear it less) because - in my opinion - the song quality is not good, it's a very compressed/lossy format that has been uploaded to YouTube.
Just my 2 cents. PM me if you want to have the flac file as reference to compare.

Aug 11, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #1,706 of 2,077
The main aspect is the better sound of the 5909. And you have a better travelling case too, better (and more) quality cables, and you can using the 5909 passively (like normal not BT headphone, this meaning only using one of the 3 cables in the package without needing switching on the headphone).

EDIT: And you having more BT codecs in 5909 too.
H95 is the best. the best compare to any bluetooth headphone out there. everybody have their own taste. but, for me H95 is the best.

Thanks for the responses, after thinking about my situation, I've now pivoted to getting a desktop set up, considering I prefer the additional sound quality over the mobility.

Now time to open up a can of worms and look into a good headphone and amp set up... here we go!

Aug 11, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #1,707 of 2,077
Thanks for the responses, after thinking about my situation, I've now pivoted to getting a desktop set up, considering I prefer the additional sound quality over the mobility.

Now time to open up a can of worms and look into a good headphone and amp set up... here we go!
Maybe a bit late to the party, but if you have an android phone, you can try out the H95 with an USB-C cable directly in a shop. Imo the sound quality can be competitive with some mid-tier wired cans. However, the can (ha) of worm that is the desktop headphones + amp may be an interesting adventure in itself :)

One (un)related observation is that I've now reverted to the factory tuning on the H95 after EQ'ing it with the autoEQ preset for a few months due to missing that bass, whereas previously I'd say the neutral tuning is definitely "better". Just goes to show how subjective this "A is better than B" thing is in this space, I can't even be consistent with myself, so maybe I should stop writing.. 😂

Aug 11, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #1,708 of 2,077
Maybe a bit late to the party, but if you have an android phone, you can try out the H95 with an USB-C cable directly in a shop. Imo the sound quality can be competitive with some mid-tier wired cans. However, the can (ha) of worm that is the desktop headphones + amp may be an interesting adventure in itself :)

One (un)related observation is that I've now reverted to the factory tuning on the H95 after EQ'ing it with the autoEQ preset for a few months due to missing that bass, whereas previously I'd say the neutral tuning is definitely "better". Just goes to show how subjective this "A is better than B" thing is in this space, I can't even be consistent with myself, so maybe I should stop writing.. 😂

Haha, fashionably a minute late.

I had the chance to listen to a pair of H95's and for me personally, they didn't blow me away (used with wireless iPhone 13 Pro Max) but my bar was high as my comparison is recalling on my experience with a pair of Audeze LCD-X with a Yamaha DSP-A1 (home theatre amp) and it completely blew me away.

Given I want a similar/better experience, I have decided to go back down the wired route to achieve this blowing away experience (hopefully).

Our tastes with everything definitely change, simply like the wind haha.

By chance do you know much about the wired headphone arena?

Aug 11, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #1,709 of 2,077
I listened to both version on YouTube and again on several streaming platform with the H95 and a wired pair of earphone.

I have even listened to the song ripped from a CD in FLAC format to be sure that it was not a bad version that was distributed to all streaming platforms as it can happen, and I suspect the following : the grinding sound, like you call it, is present on all versions but one : the first YouTube link; for me this grinding sound is part of the track and the H95 reproduce the sound correctly; on the first YouTube link you don't hear it (I just hear it less) because - in my opinion - the song quality is not good, it's a very compressed/lossy format that has been uploaded to YouTube.
Just my 2 cents. PM me if you want to have the flac file as reference to compare.
Thank you so much! So, I've been listening to that album for 27 years. The grinding noise is not supposed to be there. Though the first link is worse quality, it does play the track correctly. The good news is your H95 does what mine do to the track, so mine aren't defective.

Aug 11, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #1,710 of 2,077
Haha, fashionably a minute late.

I had the chance to listen to a pair of H95's and for me personally, they didn't blow me away (used with wireless iPhone 13 Pro Max) but my bar was high as my comparison is recalling on my experience with a pair of Audeze LCD-X with a Yamaha DSP-A1 (home theatre amp) and it completely blew me away.

Given I want a similar/better experience, I have decided to go back down the wired route to achieve this blowing away experience (hopefully).

Our tastes with everything definitely change, simply like the wind haha.

By chance do you know much about the wired headphone arena?
Yeah, the bluetooth H95 sound, whilst very very good in the wireless arena, isn't likely to blow away anything wired in general. I found it ok for commutes where the background noise basically makes finer details indistinguishable anyway, but at home it's basically on the usb-c cable, and that was a different beast.

When I was researching whether to go the wireless or wired route a while ago (a bit like you just now), I listened to quite a few setups in a few places. My conclusion was that the top end wired + dac/amp setup was unbelievable, but it was also overkill for me and costly. The mid-end of wired setups were more dicey, it can be great if stars aligned but with some setups it just wasn't obviously "better" than the H95 + usb-c despite costing a fair bit, and some setups honestly sounded "worse" for me.. And there's the obvious confusion with whether I'm biased to one sound purely because of tuning or the lack of tuning/EQ on the unfamiliar headphone, just made it less clear cut until I have more information about what I like for certain. (tried mainly some Hifiman planars and a few Sennheisers + various amps, no experience with Audeze sadly).

But for now, my requirement for a great mobile solution + a sufficiently good at-desk solution is more or less met, the next clear and unambiguous step up with wired seems dangerous for my wallet (but I'm sure it'll be fun!) 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back