NEW Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95 ANC Headphones - Reviews & Impressions
Aug 11, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #1,711 of 2,077
Take it with a grain of salt, but my opinion that the MW75 may be better is putting 2 and 2 together. So I read a couple of user reviews on Reddit that stated that the PX7 S2 is better in sound than the H95. When I read one of the publications that reviewed the MW75, can't remember which one, they stated that the MW75 was better in sound than the PX7 S2. Nothing concrete, but that's how I came to my conclusion. I've also seen a few reviews state that the PX7 S2 and Momentum 4 sound better than the AirPods Max. If this is indeed the case, then based on my experience comparing the H95 and AirPods Max and pretty much ranking them in the same tier of sound quality, that also leads me to believe that he MW75 will be a step up.

Also, Flossy Carter, a popular headphone reviewer, has the MW75 ranked as his favorite wireless ANC headphones for sound and build. He has ANC ranked high as well which is contradictory to some of the reviews out there. Now he's yet to rank the PX7 S2 or 5909, but he has the Momentum 4, which he loves, ranked lower in sound quality than the MW75.

None of this is concrete and I won't know for sure until my MW75s get here on Friday. But at least you now have an idea of how I came to my educated guess LOL.
I had to order the MW75. The H95 sound great, but I need to know how these compare. Listening to Black Sabbath Paranoid on the H95, and I just need more volume out of them. Most modern music where it's mastered loudly, volume is no issue. But albums from 20-40 years ago I need to use replay gain and preamp EQ on my Android to get satisfaction. it's frustrating, and no I'm not going deaf.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #1,712 of 2,077
Yeah, the bluetooth H95 sound, whilst very very good in the wireless arena, isn't likely to blow away anything wired in general. I found it ok for commutes where the background noise basically makes finer details indistinguishable anyway, but at home it's basically on the usb-c cable, and that was a different beast.

When I was researching whether to go the wireless or wired route a while ago (a bit like you just now), I listened to quite a few setups in a few places. My conclusion was that the top end wired + dac/amp setup was unbelievable, but it was also overkill for me and costly. The mid-end of wired setups were more dicey, it can be great if stars aligned but with some setups it just wasn't obviously "better" than the H95 + usb-c despite costing a fair bit, and some setups honestly sounded "worse" for me.. And there's the obvious confusion with whether I'm biased to one sound purely because of tuning or the lack of tuning/EQ on the unfamiliar headphone, just made it less clear cut until I have more information about what I like for certain. (tried mainly some Hifiman planars and a few Sennheisers + various amps, no experience with Audeze sadly).

But for now, my requirement for a great mobile solution + a sufficiently good at-desk solution is more or less met, the next clear and unambiguous step up with wired seems dangerous for my wallet (but I'm sure it'll be fun!) 😂

I agree it is very good, I really preferred it to the APM. Really interesting, maybe I might need to hop back onto the wireless train haha. I feel that I would use earbuds instead of over-ear when commuting and when home I'd use the over-ear and if I'm at home relaxing why not go the wired route? Well, that's my logic at least haha.

That's interesting, why do you believe it is overkill? Do you remember which combos you were looking at?

You must know what you like! I definitely feel I lean to a large soundstage for my preferences but I haven't been around a lot of Hifi stuff so my ears are still fresh to new sounds and complexities.

Yeah, my wallet is already heating up and I haven't even been to the first store haha. It is very costly, the reason I'm kind of leaning towards the wired route is that I've found some very good deals on an HDVD800 for $1300 AUD (id pair with the HD 800s which are still $2000AUD) and another great deal on Focal Clear and Focal Arche combo for $2400 AUD.

Aug 12, 2022 at 6:13 AM Post #1,713 of 2,077
I agree it is very good, I really preferred it to the APM. Really interesting, maybe I might need to hop back onto the wireless train haha. I feel that I would use earbuds instead of over-ear when commuting and when home I'd use the over-ear and if I'm at home relaxing why not go the wired route? Well, that's my logic at least haha.

That's interesting, why do you believe it is overkill? Do you remember which combos you were looking at?

You must know what you like! I definitely feel I lean to a large soundstage for my preferences but I haven't been around a lot of Hifi stuff so my ears are still fresh to new sounds and complexities.

Yeah, my wallet is already heating up and I haven't even been to the first store haha. It is very costly, the reason I'm kind of leaning towards the wired route is that I've found some very good deals on an HDVD800 for $1300 AUD (id pair with the HD 800s which are still $2000AUD) and another great deal on Focal Clear and Focal Arche combo for $2400 AUD.
Definitely earbuds in the summer, 40C is not over-ear territory. I have a pair of EX that I like for the warmer months, was running AirPods Pro previously, nice tuning but lifeless. EX is a mini H95, which fits the bill.

Mostly the HD600/HD800s + HDV820 and a few other amps, Ananda/Arya. Larger soundstage definitely, but there were pros and cons too: open backs being more susceptible to ambient noise, closed backs had better bass response (which the H95 + usb-c actually nails this quite well!) and etc. Overkill in the sense that the H95 + usb-c did better than I expected, and I'm actually fairly happy with the sound - to get the same type of bass response with an open back isn't as easy even if the other aspects like soundstage can be better, some amps do help with the bass definitely.

For sure, the HD800s/HDV820 runs to about ~£4-grand here, so maybe I'll revisit this with a different amp at some point when the soundstage craving gets the best of me, but I may also just get some actual speakers for the room. In the meantime, will be staying put.

Aug 14, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #1,719 of 2,077
I'm sorry. I actually would not. They're just too quiet on too many of my older albums. Had a few days with them now and I prefer not to use them at all. Sending them back
just out of interest, which mode are you using? wireless or usb-c on phones? the usb-c mode on the phone is very quiet because most phones are technically not powerful enough to drive it (like wired headphones, it needs an amp) so you either need to amp with software (thereby draining battery) or plugging into a power source. With wireless, apart from software volume delimiters, 60-70% is usually sufficient, even on old masters, 100% would be ear splitting for me 😅

Aug 14, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #1,720 of 2,077
just out of interest, which mode are you using? wireless or usb-c on phones? the usb-c mode on the phone is very quiet because most phones are technically not powerful enough to drive it (like wired headphones, it needs an amp) so you either need to amp with software (thereby draining battery) or plugging into a power source. With wireless, apart from software volume delimiters, 60-70% is usually sufficient, even on old masters, 100% would be ear splitting for me 😅
Bluetooth connection. It's not all old masters, just a lot of them. If you listen for example to Nitzer Ebb's Belief album on these at 100% volume it's way too low. I have plenty of music I play on these that's just fine at around 80 percent and loud at 90, but nothing earsplitting at 100. My Yamaha YH L700a Bluetooth cans are MUCH louder than these.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #1,721 of 2,077
Bluetooth connection. It's not all old masters, just a lot of them. If you listen for example to Nitzer Ebb's Belief album on these at 100% volume it's way too low. I have plenty of music I play on these that's just fine at around 80 percent and loud at 90, but nothing earsplitting at 100. My Yamaha YH L700a Bluetooth cans are MUCH louder than these.
Interesting.. maybe my ears just aren't accustomed to loud noises! I played Belief on iOS (Apple Music) via Bluetooth - 100% was a bit much for me as usual, 80% is ok.

Aug 14, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #1,724 of 2,077
I also listened to Belief on my iPhone, I know this album very well (was going to Nitzer Ebb concerts in the 90s :smile:)
On Qobuz (probably FLAC also) I can't listen at it at 100% it's too loud, 70 was OK for me.
On other platforms (Apple, Amazon and YT Music) the level was lower so I had to push the volume but around 85-90 it was more then OK.
ANC neutral and listening mode "optimal".

Aug 14, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #1,725 of 2,077
I also listened to Belief on my iPhone, I know this album very well (was going to Nitzer Ebb concerts in the 90s :smile:)
On Qobuz (probably FLAC also) I can't listen at it at 100% it's too loud, 70 was OK for me.
On other platforms (Apple, Amazon and YT Music) the level was lower so I had to push the volume but around 85-90 it was more then OK.
ANC neutral and listening mode "optimal".
Douglas McCarthy is unbelievably amazing singing live, and he was so raw and energetic when I saw Nitzer Ebb in a small club live in DC in the early 90's.... Ok, so it's time for me to download another version of Belief. Maybe mine is low? I'll try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back