New Bang & Olufsen Beoplay EX Released
May 7, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #16 of 53
Side note, had a few hours more with them on…more impressions.

I forgot how nice it is to just uh…be able to put them on and go. I’d been on over the ears for the last 6 months and it’s been so nice to not look like a giant dweeb with cans on walking around the mall or grocery store.

Yeah, I get it for extremely high resolution music that’s mastered and recorded perfectly yes my thousand dollar Mark Levinson headphones sound better. That is an undeniable fact. But, for the majority of music that is either not mixed well or the YouTube content that I consume, these Bang and Olufsen ex’s sound 98% as good and are far more comfy.

Genre specific observations…. Orchestral music doesn’t have the same level of separation on these as they do with nice cans. It’s fine. It’s not gonna make or break it for me. Jazz is the same. Rock and pop is very nice on these. Tune the EQ right and it’s really really good. You can get them as warm or bright as you want.

Other random observations: ANC is good, B- to an AirPods Pro’s a+. Transparency is meh. Like really meh. It’s passable but it’s not great. I’m sure they’ll software fix it. Tips matter. Tips are the almighty factor here. Bad seal, bad sound. Good seal, good sound. Great seal? Sound like a pair of True wireless ANC’s haven’t gotten yet. Latency is not a problem so gaming and movies are great.

May 7, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #17 of 53
I tried them with the comply foam tips and the ANC is indeed better. I still wouldn’t put them in the same league as the AirPods Pro tho, those are just creepy good. These are fine. It’s a shame you need to use the foam tips though. I was getting a good seal with the rubber tips but I guess they aren’t dense enough or something.

May 7, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #18 of 53
I tried them with the comply foam tips and the ANC is indeed better. I still wouldn’t put them in the same league as the AirPods Pro tho, those are just creepy good. These are fine. It’s a shame you need to use the foam tips though. I was getting a good seal with the rubber tips but I guess they aren’t dense enough or something.
I don’t have any big theory on this, my best guess is density and how the comply tips work, in that they both go deeper into the ear canal and expand a bit when in, thus blocking more.

May 7, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #19 of 53
I don’t have any big theory on this, my best guess is density and how the comply tips work, in that they both go deeper into the ear canal and expand a bit when in, thus blocking more.
For me they don't go in deeper, if anything shallower. I also really do feel I had a good seal with the rubber tips, since they really sucked themselves stuck. Still the ANC was markedly worse with the rubber tips.

May 7, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #20 of 53
I've had these for a few days, couldn't get a great seal with the stock tips, settled on the Spiral Dot++ tips for a better seal and a bit more mids presence. Not all tips will go well with this set due to the limited space in the charging case inhibiting contact with the charging pins for longer tips. I like the Final E tips but since they won't fit in the case I had to give up that option.

Overall these are a warmish and laid back sound that remind me of a speaker system. The XM4 has more of a wow factor upon initial listening but personal gets fatiguing whereas the EX is more suitable for longer listening sessions for me. I'm pairing with an iPhone so AAC codec.

As for ANC nothing comes close to my Bose QC buds and these are no exception, but I think it can be improved over time with software updates.

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #21 of 53
I've had these for a few days, couldn't get a great seal with the stock tips, settled on the Spiral Dot++ tips for a better seal and a bit more mids presence.

Overall these are a warmish and laid back sound that remind me of a speaker system. The XM4 has more of a wow factor upon initial listening but personal gets fatiguing whereas the EX is more suitable for longer listening sessions for me. I'm pairing with an iPhone so AAC codec.

As for ANC nothing comes close to my Bose QC buds and these are no exception, but I think it can be improved over time with software updates.
They’re def warm and laid back off the jump but that eq In the app can make them sound however you want. Which, honestly is nice

Aug 1, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #23 of 53
Anyone having occasional issues of the left earbud not always connecting first time?
(when connected to an Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

I need to place it back in the case, wait a few seconds, place them back in the ear, wait a few seconds.
All seems good with right one.

Aug 2, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #25 of 53
@LostOnEarth
Same issue here, tested on iphone 11, oneplus 10, oneplus 5T and a&k dap
So not ios specfic, it seems..
you´re not alone :)

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #27 of 53
Aug 20, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #28 of 53
Got the Spinfit W1’s this week, work well with these (and fit in the case!). Did need to use the equaliser a little to get the sound back to where I like it compared to the standard tips - over towards energetic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back