New Audio-Technica Clip-Ons
Nov 18, 2003 at 4:47 AM Post #16 of 57
W1000 is never my cup of tea(with that funny midrange-nasal?)
Even if this sounds similar.. I don't think I will get it anytime soon.
Like someone else mentioned.. I would rather save up abit more and get etys .
Although I have to agree this one looks sexy!
tongue.gif

Nov 18, 2003 at 5:00 AM Post #17 of 57
Guyfred, I'm somewhat in agreement in terms of the W1000 sound - although it certainly has its strengths and a lot of fans, and I agree that at $200 plus change the Ety ER-4S is a better buy than the W1000's for nearly twice the price...

My point, however, was that within the AT lineup, the EW9 does not appear to be the least bit mispriced. It will be interesting to read the first reviews on the new clip-ons. IMO, this is a market segment that has been overlooked by the competition.

Nov 18, 2003 at 5:22 AM Post #19 of 57
It looks to me like AT's latest stuff has been marketed to more prestige/image conscious people.

I mean... come on! I doubt designer leather was used for its sonic qualities
I'm just waiting for the louis vuitton edition
rolleyes.gif

Nov 18, 2003 at 5:34 AM Post #20 of 57
Another point to make here. Portable phone usually should built like tank. I doubt that the woody will stay perfect after many times of use. You will be tossing it into the bookbag and such. Not a good point in my opinion. If it sounds 80 percents of the Etys, then the price is worth it. Again, will they sound better than the KSC-35??? Look is not everything you know.

Purk

Nov 18, 2003 at 6:16 AM Post #21 of 57
ATH-EW9 hmmm... just maybe, depends on how big my Xmas bonus will be. Seriously, that is a huge price to pay for some ear clips. Yup, the Cherry wood bowls are to die for but I sure would hate to have those things all scratched up from rough handling or worst case scenario accidentally dropping them to the ground and cracking the wood bowls.

Nov 18, 2003 at 10:56 PM Post #22 of 57
Does anyone know if anyone besides audiocubes sells these beauties? I'm getting a pair, but the price tag is killing me.

Nov 19, 2003 at 3:19 AM Post #25 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by Wmcmanus
Here is a thought. The EW9's sure look to have the same earcups (and I suspect drivers) as the W1000's (the "Soverign") which retail for $399 (or so, it may be $379, I'm not sure). So if the sound matches (or even comes close to) the W1000, wouldn't the EW9's be a relative bargain in the AT line-up?

Same ear cups and drivers as the W1000??
confused.gif
I just don't see it. The W1000 are full size circumaural cans. The clip ons by their nature can not be circumaural. They must be supraural in order for the clips to work. Just going by specs on audiocubes, the drivers are clearly different. I jsut don't see where you are getting this . . . unless of course you were kidding.

Nov 19, 2003 at 6:13 AM Post #26 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by lindrone
I don't know if anyone other than AudioCubes import the Audio Technicas... they're not even sold here.. If I'm correct, they're all imported.

They're not really even imported.. shipped from Osaka!

I need a job so I can buy headphone goodies next year in Japan..

Nov 21, 2003 at 11:07 PM Post #27 of 57
I've just ordered a pair of EW9's from Koji at EIFL in Japan.

His price was $180 plus (to Florida, $20 shipping and insurance) and he gave me the Ok to share this information here at head-fi.

In case anyone is interested in ordering a pair, Koji mentioned that "ATH-EW9 will be put on market around November 21 but the sales quantity seems very much limited."

I'll post impressions once they arrive.

Nov 21, 2003 at 11:17 PM Post #28 of 57
I can't the cayman island's commercial music out of my head whenever i read you posts
tongue.gif

Awesome that you got them. Can't wait to hear your feedback.

Nov 21, 2003 at 11:30 PM Post #29 of 57
Ian, have you been here? I'm trying to think of what you are referring to as "the Cayman Islands commercial music"...

Oh, now I know, you must be talking about what the Department of Tourism puts out in their TV commerical - that little jingle.

For a moment, I thought there was an entire genre that I had somehow missed all this time. The best musician here is a guy known as "The Barefoot Man (and Band)" who does a lot of fun (well, more like silly) Island-style songs with strange lyrics and very casual soca/calypso rhythms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back