[NEW] Audio Technica CKR series (CKR10, CKR9, CKR7)
Dec 24, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #796 of 822
Ckr9 clearance as $120, worth it?

Yes, that's a very good price and well worth it. I've never heard such soundstage from an IEM. It's not an exaggeration to say it's airier than several open cans I've listened to. Detail is excellent and they work very well with any genre. The cable could be better, but mine are going strong for over 2 years now. 

Feb 6, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #798 of 822
  For the price, you are getting a steal.

Considering the CKR9 has better sound quality than the Shure se535 (but a 'bit' worse than 846) to me, for $120, the sound quality is well worth the price.

That said, I'm going to go by 'my' bias experience from it.
If I was to scale from Joker's site (http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone-list/#), I would give:
Accessories: 3 (you don't get anything more than the in-ear. What a disappointment!)
Build: 4.5
Isolation:3
Microphonics:4
Comfort: <Just pray it fits for any in-ears. This one sounds stupid tbh. As long as your ear takes in most in-ears, you are fine>
Sound Quality: 9.3 (I would be a 'bit' more biased and say it's a 9.34~9.35 if LTD -which is no longer sold- . It certainly is not 9.4 as AKG K3003 is 9.4 in the site but from my experience, it sounded better than Westone 4)

Honestly, the CKR9 competes well in sound with elite models like the Westone 4. The only cons I realized is:
1. Not a detachable in-ear. I don't know about you but I really wished I had gotten a detachable. Having bought the CKR9 ltd when it was first released, I was a bit disappointed through this part heavily. Even the lower models have detachables...
Of course the build is well made (the wires seem very sturdy) but at least if you have the CKR10 or CKR9 ltd, do not be surprised for the aluminium coated covering to fade to white over time. The coloring does slowly chip out (not issue for CKR9). That said, it's just the color coating that comes out in abused spots. Nothing to do with the actual sound itself.
2. It's pretty big and 'open'. What I mean is it doesn't really isolate. Fortunately, the sound does NOT leak. Yay! But.... don't expect the same from the outside. The isolation is like that of standard in ears. Definitely not an 'ear-plug' like the EPH-100 or Shure SE series.
3.  There are now NEW models for the CKR series! And regardless of sound, I like the sound of 'new'! Sigh.
And lastly,
4. The sound sounds 'too realistic' over time. It can get fatiguing and boring. Sure this is a phenomenal thing but mehh, it sometimes feels 'tooo' realistic relative to the music file itself. I think this is actually a pro but eh, that's a life rant from me! Just make sure you have 1 other pair you can swap into once a while and you won't get bored. :D

Overall, for price, the sound quality is a STEAL (from my bias).
However, depending on how much you prioritize non-detachables, you can either enjoy this iem or be a tad disappointed. That said, I don't think there exists any iem (from my experience) that can compete CKR9 at the $120 range. Heck, I would put it as one of best under $550. And this price range is pretty much the 'best' you can get with universal iems. The Shure SE846 has a 'tad' better sounding but honestly in comparison to the CKR9, it does not feel a 'couple hundred dollar' better. 
In fact, this amazon guy quoted with CKR10 that: https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-CKR10-SonicPro-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B00OJZR1IQ

Just note for the CKR series (especially the LTD <I can't even trust Amazon for LTD>), there are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many fakes around in the web.
General rule of thumb: If amazon, prime or no go (at least without at least 30 great reviews). If not amazon, go for reputable seller. Wouldn't be fun to note after spending $120 that your in-ear is fake :/

Nice review, agree with most of the points here. I find them a bit fatiguing after a while and the fit isn't the best, but I definitely enjoy them more than I did the Westone 4 and think they sound better as well. I enjoy the snappy bass and crisp presentation a lot and they are quite airy for IEMs.

Mar 24, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #799 of 822
Just got a pair of 1More Triple Drivers.

After 8 hours burn in , they do sound similar to the ckr 9 but with slightly more bass,and recessed mids and highs.
Probably because they are tuned for a more relaxing and consumer friendly signature.

So far I would place the overall sound quality of the 1More at 85% of the ckr 9's SQ. Bass wise it sounds like any other dynamic iem , not even close to the having the ckr9's rumble and texture. Mids wise its more or less the same as the ckr 9 but it's highs are a bit better and more extended compared to the ckr9 but it's more laid back and does not have the same level of attack as the ckr9.

Soundstage wise it's average, nothing special.

The packaging is really premium looking though.

Mar 24, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #800 of 822
Just got a pair of 1More Triple Drivers.

After 8 hours burn in , they do sound similar to the ckr 9 but with slightly more bass,and recessed mids and highs.
Probably because they are tuned for a more relaxing and consumer friendly signature.

So far I would place the overall sound quality of the 1More at 85% of the ckr 9's SQ. Bass wise it sounds like any other dynamic iem , not even close to the having the ckr9's rumble and texture. Mids wise its more or less the same as the ckr 9 but it's highs are a bit better and more extended compared to the ckr9 but it's more laid back and does not have the same level of attack as the ckr9.

Soundstage wise it's average, nothing special.

The packaging is really premium looking though.

cool.  What device do you use?

I have the ckr10 and 9.  I use lg v10/ lg v20 and 1more doesn't compete in any way.  Theyre nice for the price, but no way competes with ckr series with ckr 9/10 imho.

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #801 of 822
cool.  What device do you use?

I have the ckr10 and 9.  I use lg v10/ lg v20 and 1more doesn't compete in any way.  Theyre nice for the price, but no way competes with ckr series with ckr 9/10 imho.
I use an xduoo X3 line out to an 02 amp.

Well ymmv, to me the treble quality of the 1 more would be better than the ckr9 for me. However , the recessed treble tuning of the 1 more causes it to sound less detailed. And yes I have to agree that now after some more listening the ckr9 do fare better than the 1 more.

Bass is one aspect that the CKR9 far outclasses the 1 more. So far nothing can stand up to them in terms of bass quality. Soundstage is another thing that the CKR 9 outclasses the 1 more by a considerable margin.It's like watching a movie at home and going to the cinema type of difference.

But overall it's quite good for the price. Better than most in its price range.

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #802 of 822
I use an xduoo X3 line out to an 02 amp.

Well ymmv, to me the treble quality of the 1 more would be better than the ckr9 for me. However , the recessed treble tuning of the 1 more causes it to sound less detailed. And yes I have to agree that now after some more listening the ckr9 do fare better than the 1 more.

Bass is one aspect that the CKR9 far outclasses the 1 more. So far nothing can stand up to them in terms of bass quality. Soundstage is another thing that the CKR 9 outclasses the 1 more by a considerable margin.It's like watching a movie at home and going to the cinema type of difference.

But overall it's quite good for the price. Better than most in its price range.

Yes 1more is good.  However the ckr9/10 is in the price range on Amazon.  I have both, but would never pick up the 1more before the ckr9/10.  I like ckr10 best because the bass is alot better than ckr9 and 1 more.  Treble extends more as well imho.  The titanium really makes a noticeable difference in the bass department.

You should try the Audio Technica ath-e70. Its balanced armature but bass is the best. You won't find better in an iem.  technically speaking anyway, everyone's preferences are different though.

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #803 of 822
I have tried both the ckr 10 and 9 in japan before i bought mine.

I got the ckr9 because the ckr 10 sounded worse to me. It was warmer and less detailed compared to the ckr9. Thus i went with the ckr9 :D

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #804 of 822
I have tried both the ckr 10 and 9 in japan before i bought mine.

I got the ckr9 because the ckr 10 sounded worse to me. It was warmer and less detailed compared to the ckr9. Thus i went with the ckr9
biggrin.gif

yes a lot of  people said that but i prefer the 10 with v10/v20.  Eq will handle the warmness imho. 

Apr 9, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #807 of 822
I listen mostly to Metal and Rock. 

CKR5 ?
[COLOR=212121]

Code:
[color=rgb(33,33,33)]

[/color]
[/COLOR]

No

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #809 of 822
Apr 10, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #810 of 822
Yes they are not listed - but i bought 3 months ago a CKR9 and it was a legit official EU version (49 ohm impedance).
The international version with 16 ohm is often a counterfeit product - also sold in japan.
So i decided to buy both CKR9 and CKR10 in the higher impedance european version.
They are always genuine and only sold within europe (also different print on the packaging)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back