[NEW] Audio Technica CKR series (CKR10, CKR9, CKR7)
Jun 10, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #781 of 822

Thanks for this information
blink.gif
. So far I understand it will be better to avoid this. I will continue my exploration......
eek.gif

But, I asked this same question to seller and he said it is real!!!!
rolleyes.gif

I don't know why is he laying?
basshead.gif

Put yourself in the shoes of the seller, would you say that you were selling fakes? (which means losing business)   

Jul 15, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #783 of 822
  I never did side comparisons with my CKR9 Ltd but when I listened to XBA-A3, it was pretty nice. Only thing I really had to comment on was the sibilance that is common with Sony in-ears.
However, I felt that:

In terms of bass quality, CKR9 Ltd was better.
In terms of detail, XBA-A3 seemed to do better especially in mid-treble.
In terms of highs, similar except XBA-A3 would have once in a while annoying sibilances (could be why they had more perceived detail to me when I listened to them)

Having said that, na, I can't say CKR9 sounded "better". Yes, I can say it is cheaper but not so sure about "better". CKR9 seems to target more towards those who want good bass quality (the decays, etc.) and the XBA-A3 seems to target those who want more perceived details (like classical music or ukulele strumming). The CKR9 has a better sound stage I admit but I don't think either is "better" over the others.
I personally liked the XBA-A3 more cause of the perceived detail when I had a short listening to them although I did somewhat dislike the occasional sibilance, which Sony seems to really love in its signature.
Maybe it was because I was listening to the Tenores during that time of auditioning. Maybe the CKR are really that much better. But with all honesty, the XBA A3 was pretty damn nice when I tried them.

At the end of the day, both are great in-ears. It's all to preference to sound signature. But ya, i can agree with you on the fact that the price is much higher than the CKR. Haven't checked the price until right now.
That said, you sure you tried the XBA-A3? The XBA-H3 is really pretty crap (to be quite frank). But the A3 seems pretty damn good and I personally thought it was "better" than the CKR9 (never side compared though although i was pretty sure it sounded literally a tier up from the ckr line. The detailing in xba a3 was phenomenol).
Also, pretty surprised with how the fake sounds just as good as the real. Guess I wasted my money going for the reals when it first came out ;/

No way!!! I  have heard both.  Ckr9 isn't only for bassheads although bassheads will love them, but ckr9 has the details as well.  It just provides the full range sound frequency like good headphones(highs, mids, lows) are supposed to.

Jul 16, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #784 of 822
  No way!!! I  have heard both.  Ckr9 isn't only for bassheads although bassheads will love them,

Nah, my basshead friend said they dont have enough bass.
   but ckr9 has the details as well.  It just provides the full range sound frequency like good headphones(highs, mids, lows) are supposed to.

I liked the CKR9 over the A3 because i found that the CKR9 had MUCH MORE CRISPY SOUND (Good Transistents) . 
Im saving up for a ER4SR currently
biggrin.gif

Jul 19, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #785 of 822
Ckr10 is the one that is bassy, the CKR9 is a more neutral sounding, at times a bit bright.

Oct 16, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #787 of 822
No, since there is no vent in the rear like the CKR9 or like the Sport3 in my avatar the bass isn't the same nor as good. Bass doesn't reach as low, doesn't have the depth or dynamics of either which I have had or heard both. Being a monitor, the E40 presents recordings the same way all the time opening them up with the same stage size and positioning to monitor. The CKR9 varies in stage size and imaging and other things based on the recording more. E40 is a good phone for the $69 it can be had for but it is missing something from the CKR9. Actually it sounds a bit more like the LTD than the 9. The 9 is taller stage and a bit V but the LTD and E40 are more even regards bass, mid, and treble amounts. Someone buys the E40 based on hearing the 9 and I think they will miss the treble amount and key bass attributes and they will sell it after a while as it isn't really a cheaper substitute.

Oct 29, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #789 of 822
  No, since there is no vent in the rear like the CKR9 or like the Sport3 in my avatar the bass isn't the same nor as good. Bass doesn't reach as low, doesn't have the depth or dynamics of either which I have had or heard both. Being a monitor, the E40 presents recordings the same way all the time opening them up with the same stage size and positioning to monitor. The CKR9 varies in stage size and imaging and other things based on the recording more. E40 is a good phone for the $69 it can be had for but it is missing something from the CKR9. Actually it sounds a bit more like the LTD than the 9. The 9 is taller stage and a bit V but the LTD and E40 are more even regards bass, mid, and treble amounts. Someone buys the E40 based on hearing the 9 and I think they will miss the treble amount and key bass attributes and they will sell it after a while as it isn't really a cheaper substitute.

I see . How would you compare the ATH-CKS990iS to ATH E40  or AT  CKR  models ? if you have an idea about them .

Oct 29, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #790 of 822
I would probably say keep an eye on maybe the new LS70 and see how they are(early impressions are very good) or something like the JVC HA-FXH30 which is small, easier to fit and the price range of the lowest E40 price(a bit cheaper) and a fun exciting sound. 

Not sure if the LS fit of course so that is what you probably need to some comments on even if translated. Not sure if I'd be worried outside of the LS' 3 and 4 driver models as the others look fairly decent size-wise. They seem rounded nicely on the inside even if the outside looks pointy and they seem a smaller and better shape than the E40.

E40 is probably still too risky for you and the 990 isn't on par with the CKS1100 and E40 which are on the same level but differ in signature.

You can still order the Trinity PM4 at a good price today(until 10/30 it says) for a good E40 upgrade. They will ship fairly soon now.

Oct 30, 2016 at 6:10 AM Post #791 of 822
  I would probably say keep an eye on maybe the new LS70 and see how they are(early impressions are very good) or something like the JVC HA-FXH30 which is small, easier to fit and the price range of the lowest E40 price(a bit cheaper) and a fun exciting sound. 

Not sure if the LS fit of course so that is what you probably need to some comments on even if translated. Not sure if I'd be worried outside of the LS' 3 and 4 driver models as the others look fairly decent size-wise. They seem rounded nicely on the inside even if the outside looks pointy and they seem a smaller and better shape than the E40.

E40 is probably still too risky for you and the 990 isn't on par with the CKS1100 and E40 which are on the same level but differ in signature.

You can still order the Trinity PM4 at a good price today(until 10/30 it says) for a good E40 upgrade. They will ship fairly soon now.

LS50 and LS70 are both interesting , Don't know if their price will drop to 100$ (currently around 125$ in Japanese sites ) with their release .
After all the praising of the Push pull drivers , I have no idea if it's worth spending an extra 50$ sound wise (about 70% price increase over e40 )  , to get the LS70 over the E40 (Not considering the fit factor ) , Not even sure if it will be an upgrade sound wise . 
Maybe i should go with LS50 , but that might be a downgrade from the E40s ( which i canceled their order because of a very long delay on The Sound professionals site ) . there are few impressions over the newer AT models .
I'm ignorant about the  sound engineering aspects of different drivers , are these LS models considered vented ( with that very small vent in the back ) .  is venting not involved in
dual-symphonic driver​
s bass layering ( or whatever it's called ) reproduction ?
The Trinity OM4 is over my budget , besides i didn't like rounded body shape of the earpieces .

Oct 30, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #792 of 822
Of course there is more than one way to skin a cat(National Cat Day in U.S. yesterday
tongue.gif
) so just because that isn't present it may not be a bad thing. Of course it is a good sign in your budget if you see it as it is a cost effective route than other driver design that may be in pricier models. FiiO EX1 is $70 as well and both has sound on the E40 level and uses a more vented front to help it's driver. Of course the JVC also uses it in the upper model FXH30 which is on that level as well(I know a couple like it better than FiiO/Titan 1).

Of course there is also the lower priced Trinity, Delta II and Altas Delta which not a slam dunk improvement over the E40 level are probably an upgrade in some amount plus have sound tuning which is important for some adjustment since many ears and gear are different so an adjustable sound profile is something you may find to be very helpful.

LS70 is getting some praise and the 50 seems to be a good all rounder signature from early reports. Solid but not sure where they would fit in. $65 and thinking an improvement over the IM50 but may not be quite as good as the IM70 still or the E40 in overall ability.

1More triple driver is $99 and sometimes down to $75 and another high value hybrid worth checking out and in the fit style of the EX1 and Titan models.

Should be a good choice in your range as $60 to $100 is a big niche that is very rich with quality options. 

Nov 1, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #793 of 822
  Of course there is more than one way to skin a cat(National Cat Day in U.S. yesterday
tongue.gif
) so just because that isn't present it may not be a bad thing. Of course it is a good sign in your budget if you see it as it is a cost effective route than other driver design that may be in pricier models. FiiO EX1 is $70 as well and both has sound on the E40 level and uses a more vented front to help it's driver. Of course the JVC also uses it in the upper model FXH30 which is on that level as well(I know a couple like it better than FiiO/Titan 1).

Of course there is also the lower priced Trinity, Delta II and Altas Delta which not a slam dunk improvement over the E40 level are probably an upgrade in some amount plus have sound tuning which is important for some adjustment since many ears and gear are different so an adjustable sound profile is something you may find to be very helpful.

LS70 is getting some praise and the 50 seems to be a good all rounder signature from early reports. Solid but not sure where they would fit in. $65 and thinking an improvement over the IM50 but may not be quite as good as the IM70 still or the E40 in overall ability.

1More triple driver is $99 and sometimes down to $75 and another high value hybrid worth checking out and in the fit style of the EX1 and Titan models.

Should be a good choice in your range as $60 to $100 is a big niche that is very rich with quality options. 

Ye i know about these , i prefer the over ears , anyway , i'll wait for the LS70 and LS50s and see .

Dec 24, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #795 of 822
Ckr9 clearance as $120, worth it?

For the price, you are getting a steal.

Considering the CKR9 has better sound quality than the Shure se535 (but a 'bit' worse than 846) to me, for $120, the sound quality is well worth the price.

That said, I'm going to go by 'my' bias experience from it.
If I was to scale from Joker's site (http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone-list/#), I would give:
Accessories: 3 (you don't get anything more than the in-ear. What a disappointment!)
Build: 4.5
Isolation:3
Microphonics:4
Comfort: <Just pray it fits for any in-ears. This one sounds stupid tbh. As long as your ear takes in most in-ears, you are fine>
Sound Quality: 9.3 (I would be a 'bit' more biased and say it's a 9.34~9.35 if LTD -which is no longer sold- . It certainly is not 9.4 as AKG K3003 is 9.4 in the site but from my experience, it sounded better than Westone 4)

Honestly, the CKR9 competes well in sound with elite models like the Westone 4. The only cons I realized is:
1. Not a detachable in-ear. I don't know about you but I really wished I had gotten a detachable. Having bought the CKR9 ltd when it was first released, I was a bit disappointed through this part heavily. Even the lower models have detachables...
Of course the build is well made (the wires seem very sturdy) but at least if you have the CKR10 or CKR9 ltd, do not be surprised for the aluminium coated covering to fade to white over time. The coloring does slowly chip out (not issue for CKR9). That said, it's just the color coating that comes out in abused spots. Nothing to do with the actual sound itself.
2. It's pretty big and 'open'. What I mean is it doesn't really isolate. Fortunately, the sound does NOT leak. Yay! But.... don't expect the same from the outside. The isolation is like that of standard in ears. Definitely not an 'ear-plug' like the EPH-100 or Shure SE series.
3.  There are now NEW models for the CKR series! And regardless of sound, I like the sound of 'new'! Sigh.
And lastly,
4. The sound sounds 'too realistic' over time. It can get fatiguing and boring. Sure this is a phenomenal thing but mehh, it sometimes feels 'tooo' realistic relative to the music file itself. I think this is actually a pro but eh, that's a life rant from me! Just make sure you have 1 other pair you can swap into once a while and you won't get bored. :D

Overall, for price, the sound quality is a STEAL (from my bias).
However, depending on how much you prioritize non-detachables, you can either enjoy this iem or be a tad disappointed. That said, I don't think there exists any iem (from my experience) that can compete CKR9 at the $120 range. Heck, I would put it as one of best under $550. And this price range is pretty much the 'best' you can get with universal iems. The Shure SE846 has a 'tad' better sounding but honestly in comparison to the CKR9, it does not feel a 'couple hundred dollar' better. 
In fact, this amazon guy quoted with CKR10 that: https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-CKR10-SonicPro-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B00OJZR1IQ

Originally Posted from Amazon
"Without providing a detailed technical review, I can honestly say that the ATH-CKR10 will make you remember that the ie800 and se846 set you back $800 aka two car notes or a mortgage or your rent payment while the ATH-CKR10 are under $200.

Your inner cheap guy, conscience, business person and economist will seriously start to question whether you need to spend $800."

Just note for the CKR series (especially the LTD <I can't even trust Amazon for LTD>), there are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many fakes around in the web.
General rule of thumb: If amazon, prime or no go (at least without at least 30 great reviews). If not amazon, go for reputable seller. Wouldn't be fun to note after spending $120 that your in-ear is fake :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back