[NEW] Audio Technica CKR series (CKR10, CKR9, CKR7)
May 3, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #166 of 822
  Keep the impressions coming. Euphonic is good! Tall and deep, wide is good as well!

How is the front filter material? Always the other potential change like people are doing with the IM50 and IM70. May well be totally reversible again but wouldn't try till one has enough hours on them and familiarity with them. Just curious what the material like in real life.

Tough choice since the H3 is dropping and getting closer to $200 esp. for open box. Shame the CKR cable isn't like the old CK10 which gives the H3 an edge there being seemingly nicer and replaceable.

Umm yeah, that neutral bass thing, that is what the IM series is for 
wink_face.gif

Why thanks jant. :)

I wanted to mention the imagery of these more, but I can only summarize with a precocious statement...

Anyways, this IEM is awesome, and you will soon find my latest impressions of these iems...

I swear jant, you should get the ostries.

These ckr9s may be the big brother of the ostries, being a bit more refined in everything INCLUDING BASS.

I'll show you a picture of the iem, it'll be easier for everyone to tell, but from what I see, it is identical to the ckm series.

Nah, I want a "dynamic" neutral bass :p. I'm more addicted to the sound of dynamic drivers.
In addition, there is no possibility for now to audition IM-03. And the price is not so cheap for ordering it without preliminary listening.

It's actually a bit north of neutral, not basshead levels at all.

Yet, some recordings will emphasize the bass that it actually...

can be a behemoth.. :)

What songs do you have that can help me test the speed of these earphones?

I"m more of a peaceful person who enjoys his relaxing music.

If you have any crazy ones, please do share it in a pm.

btw

@a_recording

About the design, I think it's different from the ckm1000's awkward  connection in the middle, there is none tha I can find.

Not even a chin-slider, the nerve!

May 3, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #167 of 822
So I didn't see this one coming but it seems to me these CKR earphones are in fact replacing  the CKM phones. The CKR-5 for example.. There are some clues in the design that indicate that these are the CKM500 revision.

This looks almost identical to the CKM500 in design.

The CKR-7

Are taking design cues from my old CKM77s.. I just had a V-8 moment.. These are what the CKM700s would have been basically.  And the new CKR-9 and CKR-10?  CKM900 and the new redesign of their flagship CKM1000. Don't know exactly why the CKM700 and CKM900 never came out.. Maybe AT was trying something new with their IM0X series but.. These phones are it. Which explains why they had to change naming scheme to CKR.. R for revision?  The top 2 earphones getting the new RnD treatment.

Guys that are curious. I am very certain the CKR-5 and CKR-7s are going to be stellar IEMs. Very certain.

May 3, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #168 of 822
Dear vlenbo, I am really exciting after read your impressions, but with so many amazing IEMs being launched this year I am confused about what to get : IM03, H3, FX850 and CKR9 (CKR10 depending on the impressions that will come). I know that CKR9 are the cheapest on this wishlist but I ain't planning to get these right now, so the price may be different in the time I will have the money. The question is: wich one of these ( I don't know if you have heard all of them) would you recommend based in the criteria bellow ( the numbers represent the matter of each item in a decrescent order.

1. Bass ( I really love bass guitars).
2. Soundstage
3. Level of details
4. Mids and highs
5. Isolation
6. Fit and comfort (with stock tips)

Keep in mind that I will mostly use the iPod Classic 7th Gen as source ( It's rockboxed, so if the earphone is missing something, I have some options to assuage the issues, if it's possible).

I will appreciate any help you can give me. Sorry if I am being too exigent, but it's very complicated to buy something that I can't have a demo

May 3, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #169 of 822
I do have high expectations of the CKR-10. Simply because it is replacing the CKM1000. These seem to be ATs new flagship. Meaning they will have poured maximum effort into the CKR phones especially the CKR-10.  I can tell you the IM03 is one fantastic 3 BA earphone that is definitely worth the money paid but something about this new design that seems to have us AT fans very intrigued. This is something to be excited about simply because these are a complete new design from AT. Looks like they are taking cues from other higher end earphones but believe me AT will do everything they can to get top billing as a premier headphone manufacturer of Japan. They are not leaving well enough alone. They are reinventing and redesigning...This alone had me buy a CKR-10..It should be their best sounding dynamic earphone they have ever made.

The IM03 is my favorite BA based earphone the FX850 being my favorite dynamic. Will the CKR-10 stack up to the mighty FX850?  Stay tuned to find out. Give us a week or two to get our phones.. Will report..I am certain Danny will get his first. I got mine from CDjapan and while I saved a bit of cash going that rout they seem to be holding onto my order for a week for some odd reason.

May 4, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #170 of 822
  I do have high expectations of the CKR-10. Simply because it is replacing the CKM1000. These seem to be ATs new flagship. Meaning they will have poured maximum effort into the CKR phones especially the CKR-10.  I can tell you the IM03 is one fantastic 3 BA earphone that is definitely worth the money paid but something about this new design that seems to have us AT fans very intrigued. This is something to be excited about simply because these are a complete new design from AT. Looks like they are taking cues from other higher end earphones but believe me AT will do everything they can to get top billing as a premier headphone manufacturer of Japan. They are not leaving well enough alone. They are reinventing and redesigning...This alone had me buy a CKR-10..It should be their best sounding dynamic earphone they have ever made.

The IM03 is my favorite BA based earphone the FX850 being my favorite dynamic. Will the CKR-10 stack up to the mighty FX850?  Stay tuned to find out. Give us a week or two to get our phones.. Will report..I am certain Danny will get his first. I got mine from CDjapan and while I saved a bit of cash going that rout they seem to be holding onto my order for a week for some odd reason.

if you ordered very recently, this week is Golden week in Japan (week long holidays) ...that might explain the hold up :)

I am also intrigued by the CKR-10 and the FX850, but as I recently got the XBA H3, will wait out a bit. Happy to hear your thoughts on how these compare!

May 4, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #171 of 822
For guys that want to try them.  Seriously give the CKR-5 and CKR-7s a go. I am willing to bet they will punch way above their given price points. Plus being the first to own a fantastic new design from AT is exciting. If the CKR-5 is a revision of the CKM500 like I think they are. Those are going to have a crazy good sound for the $50 paid.

I have my CKM500 in my ears as I type. Love the old CKM500s. R must stand for revision. Has to be.

May 4, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #172 of 822
  if you ordered very recently, this week is Golden week in Japan (week long holidays) ...that might explain the hold up :)

I am also intrigued by the CKR-10 and the FX850, but as I recently got the XBA H3, will wait out a bit. Happy to hear your thoughts on how these compare!

Just a bit of a pointer on the H3s. Yes guys have heard me mention this before but they do need a good burn in. Brings the bass down to an excellent proper level. Later on invest in a silver coated OFC cable. There are some excellent choices on ebay that don't cost too much.. Brings the sound nice n proper on the H3. Stock cable is pretty good on the H3 but a nice silver cable brings out more detail and space for your music. That crazy 3Dness of sound just flows with a nicer cable. It truly brings the sound of the H3s to a higher level. Oh and H3 amp real nice and sound amazing when properly amped.

Of course these are not a 100% necessity, well minus the burn in but it does make the H3 sound crazy nice. Proper Amping and the silver cable that is.

Will do some comparisons when we get them CKR-10s.

May 4, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #173 of 822
  Dear vlenbo, I am really exciting after read your impressions, but with so many amazing IEMs being launched this year I am confused about what to get : IM03, H3, FX850 and CKR9 (CKR10 depending on the impressions that will come). I know that CKR9 are the cheapest on this wishlist but I ain't planning to get these right now, so the price may be different in the time I will have the money. The question is: wich one of these ( I don't know if you have heard all of them) would you recommend based in the criteria bellow ( the numbers represent the matter of each item in a decrescent order.

1. Bass ( I really love bass guitars).
2. Soundstage
3. Level of details
4. Mids and highs
5. Isolation
6. Fit and comfort (with stock tips)

Keep in mind that I will mostly use the iPod Classic 7th Gen as source ( It's rockboxed, so if the earphone is missing something, I have some options to assuage the issues, if it's possible).

I will appreciate any help you can give me. Sorry if I am being too exigent, but it's very complicated to buy something that I can't have a demo

Unfortunately, I have yet to acquire the fx850s and the ath-im03.

However, I might sell my im-02s and purchase the im-03s to compare them. However, I can only compare with the h3s unfortunately. 

Actually, I'd rather purchase the fx850s/fx750s, especially the fx750s since they're not that apart from the fx850s in sound sig.

So I didn't see this one coming but it seems to me these CKR earphones are in fact replacing  the CKM phones. The CKR-5 for example.. There are some clues in the design that indicate that these are the CKM500 revision.

This looks almost identical to the CKM500 in design.

The CKR-7

Are taking design cues from my old CKM77s.. I just had a V-8 moment.. These are what the CKM700s would have been basically.  And the new CKR-9 and CKR-10?  CKM900 and the new redesign of their flagship CKM1000. Don't know exactly why the CKM700 and CKM900 never came out.. Maybe AT was trying something new with their IM0X series but.. These phones are it. Which explains why they had to change naming scheme to CKR.. R for revision?  The top 2 earphones getting the new RnD treatment.

Guys that are curious. I am very certain the CKR-5 and CKR-7s are going to be stellar IEMs. Very certain.

The reason audio technica never made a ckm700 is because they wanted to focus in designing the push-pull driver system for 3 years straight.

So during 2010-2011, once they released the ckm series, they immediately started designing and refining these ckr series. (Taken from the audio technica japan site with google translate)

Also, you're correct with the design cues, but the twist with those ckr7s is that they are actually ckm99 remakes.

Jant verified that with the specifications at audio technica's site. The difference between the ckr7s and the ckm77s are not only the frequencies they can go to, but the driver size.

These are the same 14mm driver as the ckm99s, while the ckm77s had the 13mm driver.

It's amazing what the audio technica did with their remakes. When you state that you enjoy the ckm500's sound btw, I have to be honest.

There are moments when the ckr9s remind me of the ckm500s, but a much more refined version of them.

These have the details, the syrupy taste of the ckm500s, and the soundstage of a sony xba-h3.

Best part?

No noise leakage, at least not from what my phone picks up, or other people I walk around with.

The isolation is pretty good for this iem as well.

May 4, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #174 of 822
  For guys that want to try them.  Seriously give the CKR-5 and CKR-7s a go. I am willing to bet they will punch way above their given price points. Plus being the first to own a fantastic new design from AT is exciting. If the CKR-5 is a revision of the CKM500 like I think they are. Those are going to have a crazy good sound for the $50 paid.

I have my CKM500 in my ears as I type. Love the old CKM500s. R must stand for revision. Has to be.

+1

The kakaku users LOVED the ckr5s.

I would take a risk with the ckr5s.

Also, if you guys have a twitter, here, try to compete for a free ckr5.

http://www.audio-technica.co.jp/ckr/

Just follow their instructions. They want you to put your favorite artist with his/her first name being C:

The favorite artist starting with a letter K

And an artist with a letter R:

Wait until they send you an email indicating you won, and then

IF you have a tenso address (which I assume would work that way) tell them that address and you only have to pay for shipping.

It's not necessarily free because of that shipping cost, but you'd save a good chunk of money.

Just a bit of a pointer on the H3s. Yes guys have heard me mention this before but they do need a good burn in. Brings the bass down to an excellent proper level. Later on invest in a silver coated OFC cable. There are some excellent choices on ebay that don't cost too much.. Brings the sound nice n proper on the H3. Stock cable is pretty good on the H3 but a nice silver cable brings out more detail and space for your music. That crazy 3Dness of sound just flows with a nicer cable. It truly brings the sound of the H3s to a higher level. Oh and H3 amp real nice and sound amazing when properly amped.

Of course these are not a 100% necessity, well minus the burn in but it does make the H3 sound crazy nice. Proper Amping and the silver cable that is.

Will do some comparisons when we get them CKR-10s.

Trust me, the bass will wow you, and possibly the highs.

The mids, because of people's alleged resonance issues, might not be so good. (I doubt they have resonance issues though, so you'll be fine).

May 4, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #175 of 822
So based on that info. I bet the CKR-7 is a better sounding revision of the CKM1000 Fr.  My reasoning for this idea is because the CKM1000s are supposed to be a grander CKM99.. Confusing but that is where I am going with that..As long as they get that treble in check the mids were outstanding on the old CKM99s..ATs approach to treble can be a crap shoot especially in their older models.. But based on the treble of the IM03. I suspect the treble should be nicely refined on the CKR-10.

Hope so at least. Fingers crossed on that.

May 4, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #176 of 822
  So based on that info. I bet the CKR-7 is a better sounding revision of the CKM1000 Fr.  My reasoning for this idea is because the CKM1000s are supposed to be a grander CKM99.. Confusing but that is where I am going with that..As long as they get that treble in check the mids were outstanding on the old CKM99s..ATs approach to treble can be a crap shoot especially in their older models.. But based on the treble of the IM03. I suspect the treble should be nicely refined on the CKR-10.

Hope so at least. Fingers crossed on that.

Your assumptions may prove to be true.

It's pretty amazing really, some kakaku users say it reminded them of the ckm99s, but hopefully, it is a revised treble with this model.

Confusing indeed, why not keep the titanium design? lol, but it's good that they combined both ckm77s and the ckm99s, so I don't think you'd be wrong to assume these are ckm77 remakes, I thought so too until jant corrected me.

And your conjecture about the ckr10s is no problem, just cross your fingers on that midrange. I bet the reviewer was a troll in kakaku when he stated that there were midrange problems.

I hope so anyways.

May 4, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #177 of 822
One thing that AT gets right is the mid range. I highly doubt there is going to be any problems with the mids. Unless it is too forward or too recessed. Which again I highly doubt.

May 4, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #178 of 822
I had the CKM1000's and it had that old AT tuning which was too sibilant.  I could only listen to them at low volume levels.  Rest sounded just fine though.  I just hope the CKR10's don't get that peaky.  They seem to be getting that down as of late so I'm not that worried.  Might take a chance on the CKR5's, maybe 7's.  

May 4, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #179 of 822

One thing that AT gets right is the mid range. I highly doubt there is going to be any problems with the mids. Unless it is too forward or too recessed. Which again I highly doubt.

You drive a good point, there was no problem with the AT's midrange from their ckm series to today's ckr series (based on the ckr9 impressions of mine)

There should be no problem, but I hate it that the japanese are saying negative things about the ckr10s, which is why I doubt, but give the benefit of it as well. At least you're more positive than I am, lol, and most realistic since you have heard the ckm99s, and they're titanium too, so there were no resonance issue that you spoke of when you used them.

I had the CKM1000's and it had that old AT tuning which was too sibilant.  I could only listen to them at low volume levels.  Rest sounded just fine though.  I just hope the CKR10's don't get that peaky.  They seem to be getting that down as of late so I'm not that worried.  Might take a chance on the CKR5's, maybe 7's.  

No worries at all then. If anything, it might sound just a tad sibilant because these ckr9s are similar to the xba-h3's treble presence. Meaning that it's not even close to sibilance!

Enroll in the raffling for the ckr5s, that's the best way we can provide impressions, same goes for you ds! That is, if you guys want to, I've already done so.

Edit: one more beautiful picture of these beauts.

Now will get into reading about Freud, then take a break and review his concepts while evaluating the ckr9s sound.

I will continue the comparo between the h3s as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back